RealGM Boston board reports that Marion is going to Boston

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Rick Bucher.......3 way trade.....C's lose Ratliff/#5pick/West for Marion (agreed to sign 3 yr extension).

Also on espn 890.

So I assume that Ratliff and #5 go to Minnesota? West either to Phoenix or Minnesota, Thomas to Minny...

I think the Suns need to keep either West or the #24. Everything else can go to Minnesota.

asudevil83

Reaction score
read the rest of the thread....its just speculation, and it got celtics fans all wriled up.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
No concrete proof, just speculation. Which builds more speculation, which im sure this thread will as well.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Wait, is this the deal they are discussing:

KG to Phoenix

Marion to Boston

#5, Delonte West, Kurt Thomas, Theo Ratliff, #24 to Minnesota

???

That seems like a pretty lame deal for Minny. They get two expiring big man contracts, ok, an average point guard and two picks. Seems like the Suns (atlanta) pick would at least have to go to Minny as well.

EDIT: Note, RealGM says the following works (helps get the Suns rid of Banks)

Suns send: Marion, 24, KT, Banks

Suns get: KG

Minnesota sends: KG

Minnesota gets: Ratliff, KT, 24, 5, West, Banks

Boston sends: 5, Ratliff, West

Boston gets: Marion

Though that just seems like Minny is getting destroyed, they take on Banks horrid contract for us, get just picks basically for a future Hall of Famer.

Double Edit: Best post in that thread "Did Michael Holley get the braces off his teeth yet?"

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
If they give us garnett, they sure arent 'doing us a favor' too and taking banks. Im surprised to see its not gomes but west in the mix. Then bostons only backup pg is telfair, and minn gets another guard which seems overkill, not that im complaining.

...the speculation breeds speculation...

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If just this trade happened - nothing else - the Suns would be a worse team this season. They would have to make sure that Marion is replaced with either KG or else. So then Minny would hold the advantage.

HooverDam

Reaction score
If just this trade happened - nothing else - the Suns would be a worse team this season. They would have to make sure that Marion is replaced with either KG or else. So then Minny would hold the advantage.

Well this obviously wouldn't be the only thing the Suns did this offseason. In this scenario the Suns keep 29, hopefully pick Koponen, and then hopefully sign Grant Hill and maybe some other vet big for the minimum.

KG/Diaw
Amare/Diaw
Hill/Jones
Bell/Barbosa
Nash/Koponen

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well this obviously wouldn't be the only thing the Suns did this offseason. In this scenario the Suns keep 29, hopefully pick Koponen, and then hopefully sign Grant Hill and maybe some other vet big for the minimum.

KG/Diaw
Amare/Diaw
Hill/Jones
Bell/Barbosa
Nash/Koponen

Again, you are assuming the KG trade went through here. I am saying that IF this trade were to take place - say today - with Marion, the Suns would be under great pressure to get KG and others. And would therefore be the desperate ones.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Again, you are assuming the KG trade went through here. I am saying that IF this trade were to take place - say today - with Marion, the Suns would be under great pressure to get KG and others. And would therefore be the desperate ones.

Oh well yes of course thats what I'm assuming, if the Suns just do Marion for 5/Ratliff/West, I think that a horrid trade for the Suns. They move an All Star for an expiring contract, they do get a PG, which is nice, but then they get the 5 who obviously won't be able to match Shawns production, thats no good. That would obviously be a move just done for salary.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh well yes of course thats what I'm assuming, if the Suns just do Marion for 5/Ratliff/West, I think that a horrid trade for the Suns. They move an All Star for an expiring contract, they do get a PG, which is nice, but then they get the 5 who obviously won't be able to match Shawns production, thats no good. That would obviously be a move just done for salary.
Right, that was my point. Then, to actually get better, the Suns would be under the gun to pick up KG and then Minny holds the bargaining power...

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
McHale: Yeah we will do it. Go ahead and get marion on board with boston and we will draft up the papers.

Kerr: Ok Kev we got marion to go, here is ratliff west and the numba 5!

McHale: Yeah, um, you can go ahead and keep that. We've decided to stay with kg for now, we will call you when we have other plans. Thanks for all that effort though!

Kerr: But, but......

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
McHale: Yeah we will do it. Go ahead and get marion on board with boston and we will draft up the papers.

McHale: Yeah, um, you can go ahead and keep that. We've decided to stay with kg for now, we will call you when we have other plans. Thanks for all that effort though!

Bingo! McHale is on his way out, what does he care about gentleman's agreements?

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I see that I am potentially just feeding the frenzy. I will stay out of this until something actually happens. :)

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo! McHale is on his way out, what does he care about gentleman's agreements?

All three agree and sign together. Maybe Minny should send KG to us first in good faith before we ship anyone off to Boston.

It can go this way just as likely as the Sun-Boston going first.

No way this happens. All three agree and sign. That is how a deal works.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

It's a three-way trade. They happen all the time. No handshakes are necessary.

asudevil83

Reaction score

that NEVER happens. teams have lawyers. lawyers do a BUNCH of things.

and who would EVER deal with that GM again?

stupid and ridiculous scenario.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Boy that sarcasm image is really mandatory for you guys huh

OF COURSE THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! The real way is neither funny nor ironic though people.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's a three-way trade. They happen all the time. No handshakes are necessary.
Sure they do, because no GM in his right mind would reneg on a trade that had begun. There is no contract signed between all three teams, I would imagine. Does the league office see it as three trades, or one?

mr_sunshine

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't think that this is happening. I would put more faith in the Boston paper than in RealGM - but who knows, at this point in the game.

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1008449&srvc=sports

Was just about to post that. I really don't know why the Celtics would trade #5, West, and Ratliff for Marion. The whole reason they got Ratliff in the first place was for his expiring because Al Jefferson's rookie contract ends after this year, and if he has a 20/10 season he'll be sure to demand at least $10+ million a year. Keeping Ratliff gives them cap room, and I really do not think Marion fits there. He's just not that good if you don't play run and gun. He has no shot at all, unless he's wide open for three, and does not know how to dribble. Yes he makes a ton of hustle plays, but is that really worth giving up their starting PG, financing for the future, and a potential all-star? Don't think so personally. As much as I want to see KG go to PHX, I don't think DA is dumb enough to make the trade.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Was just about to post that. I really don't know why the Celtics would trade #5, West, and Ratliff for Marion. The whole reason they got Ratliff in the first place was for his expiring because Al Jefferson's rookie contract ends after this year, and if he has a 20/10 season he'll be sure to demand at least $10+ million a year. Keeping Ratliff gives them cap room, and I really do not think Marion fits there. He's just not that good if you don't play run and gun. He has no shot at all, unless he's wide open for three, and does not know how to dribble. Yes he makes a ton of hustle plays, but is that really worth giving up their starting PG, financing for the future, and a potential all-star? Don't think so personally. As much as I want to see KG go to PHX, I don't think DA is dumb enough to make the trade.
I agree with most of this, but who is your "potential All-Star"? West? You can't put that tag on the #5 at all, since anyone in the draft can be a potential All-Star.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
dont double post the same article, then i have to copy and paste my response that debunks it...

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With all the damage being done to the Suns relationship with Marion, it may be the Suns will have to do a variation to this deal despite their better judgement.

One thing that would sweeten it for the Suns if they had to settle for this, would be to get Gomes. He's a 3/4 who could at least help. Without a deal for KG, this is just not enough for Marion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz