Zarko cut from S&M

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
wow when i read the headline i thought that this was a dirty story ;)

OP
OP
cepstrum

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
Espo said:
wow when i read the headline i thought that this was a dirty story ;)
That's why you clicked huh? That's some pretty scary stuff :)

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Zarko really did waste his summer, we need him in the USA working on his game with his teammates.

:(

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
What a waste of a Summer.

Good thing we have Q.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Its not like he was sitting on the couch all summer. He's been working out with his national team all summer.

I don't know if that is as beneficial as summer leagues but I guess he was working out with superior talent? :shrug:

Hey elindholm, maybe the Suns should do that Brad Miller for Zarko trade now. :wave:

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
It looks like Z wasted his summer. He couldve been playing in the summer leagues, now he'll be playing catch up. Id hate to say it, but I think the guy is done. It seems like he never recovered from the Fortson thing. I mean isnt this the team he made a couple of years ago when both Divac AND Peja were playing?
[/size]

I dont get how you can say he is done. He has played one year in the NBA and didnt make the national team and all the sudden he is done? He showed alot of promise last year and I dont see why some think all that promise is down the drain.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was disappointed he went to Serbia to begin with, but nowI hope he immediately comes back to Phoenix and starts pumping iron. The Suns need Zarko to be able to play inside and that means he has to get a lot stronger.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Zarko should have gotten his ass in the gym every day like Lampe and Barbosa and worry about making the Suns rotation first.
It's not like this would be his only chance to play in the olympics.

He is not going to get any minutes at all unless he bulks up a lot.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Zarko should have gotten his ass in the gym every day like Lampe and Barbosa and worry about making the Suns rotation first.

I totally agree. He will become a much better player once he gains weight and gets a lot stronger.

OP
OP
cepstrum

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
binkar said:
I dont get how you can say he is done. He has played one year in the NBA and didnt make the national team and all the sudden he is done? He showed alot of promise last year and I dont see why some think all that promise is down the drain.
The guy obviously is lacking something he had the last time he made the olympics. And last time he made the olympics, the competition was tougher because PS and VD were with the team (along with some others that bailed this year). And I agree that he showed promise, but he showed all this promise BEFORE FORTSON. After fortson, the guy was almost useless out there. I hope he isnt done. He has some phenomenal talent for a guy that size, but im just in doubt right now.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yeah now we have to say BF or AF when we talk about zarko.

"Before Fortson" and "After Fortson"

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:

I don't think you are one of them, but there have been many, many people on this messageboard berating the US players who dropped off the Olympic team. I find it very difficult to criticize Cabarkapa for wanting to represent his country in the Olympics. It was very important to him, and I can respect him for that. I just feel badly that he did not make the team.

Now I do expect him to get over here and start working hard, so he can be ready for next year. This latest setback for Cabarkapa doesn't mean he is through IMO. It just means he has a lot of work to do. He does need to get stronger, so he can guard some power forwards and bang with some big boys on the boards. God knows he has the length to do it.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Realistically, how much stronger can he get in three months? Hell, if you could go from a beanpole to power-forward muscles in three months, we'd all do it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Also, the Europeans are being picked in the NBA drafts because they supposedly are practicing MORE and better than us. Thus the better fundementals than our college guys. I am willing to wager he worked harder than our summer league guys did.

The only valid thing I see in this thread is his need to get his focus back he had before the Fortson injury. He could get back to Phoenix and work with Lampe and our trainer on bulking up and adding strength. I hope we do see a blurb soon on how he is working out at AWA. :)

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Realistically, how much stronger can he get in three months? Hell, if you could go from a beanpole to power-forward muscles in three months, we'd all do it.
Working with an excellent personal trainer, I was able to put on 13 lbs of muscle in six weeks earlier this summer. I can only imagine, with the right supplementation and a lot more time to spend in the gym, how much progress you could make over three months.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cepstrum

The guy obviously is lacking something he had the last time he made the olympics. And last time he made the olympics, the competition was tougher because PS and VD were with the team (along with some others that bailed this year).

As a kindly request, could we use less letter abreviations for players names. I only used the above as an example. I love to read the posts, but I guess I am slowing down. I know PS is Peja but I'm still am trying to recall who is VD.

Wait, I just figured it out, it is Vlade Divac. :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
As a kindly request, could we use less letter abreviations for players names. I only used the above as an example. I love to read the posts, but I guess I am slowing down. I know PS is Peja but I'm still am trying to recall who is VD.

Wait, I just figured it out, it is Vlade Divac. :)

I agree. Only a few guys warrent initials. Guys like MJ. At LEAST write a first name. I still don't know why some guy on the board keeps calling Vroman the sausage king? :shrug:

OP
OP
cepstrum

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I agree. Only a few guys warrent initials. Guys like MJ. At LEAST write a first name. I still don't know why some guy on the board keeps calling Vroman the sausage king? :shrug:
It all depends on the context IMO. If Im talking about the Serbia and Montenegro national team, I think most people would understand PS and VD.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Yuma said:

Ha! You still remember that? :)

It's just a reference to Ferris Bueller's Day Off. When he tries to get seated in a fancy restaurant, he goes by the name of Abe Froeman (sounds like Vroman), the sausage king of Chicago.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
The guy obviously is lacking something he had the last time he made the olympics.

Zarko has never been on the Serbian Olmpic team. He was on their World Championship team two years ago, although he rarely played, but not on the Olympic team four years ago.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
elindholm said:

You can get tremendously stronger in 3 months. No one said he had to become Schwarzenegger.

Zarko has the type of game in which he needs strength. He can't finish because he gets knocked around too easily. And, his handles were the worst I've ever seen in regards to getting the ball knocked loose.

He was probably the weakest NBA player I've EVER seen. And, that's saying alot.

Zarko isn't exactly a spring chicken (24?), and this is the most crucial time in his life to physically mature. The only way to do that is to hit the weight correctly, run your ass off up some stairs, and play 24/7.

I'm definitely not pumped up on the Zarko-flavored kool-aid.

OP
OP
cepstrum

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Zarko has never been on the Serbian Olmpic team. He was on their World Championship team two years ago, although he rarely played, but not on the Olympic team four years ago.
That's the one that I was talking about. It's still the same players though right? In fact the competition is even less now because Peja and Vlade (along with others) arent there

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sly fly said:
You can get tremendously stronger in 3 months. No one said he had to become Schwarzenegger.

Zarko has the type of game in which he needs strength. He can't finish because he gets knocked around too easily. And, his handles were the worst I've ever seen in regards to getting the ball knocked loose.

He was probably the weakest NBA player I've EVER seen. And, that's saying alot.

Zarko isn't exactly a spring chicken (24?), and this is the most crucial time in his life to physically mature. The only way to do that is to hit the weight correctly, run your ass off up some stairs, and play 24/7.

I'm definitely not pumped up on the Zarko-flavored kool-aid.

Prior to leaving for Europe, Zarko was supposedly working out with Lampe and Barbosa. I would hope that he will return and work on his strength since he will be the first one to admit he needs strength.

One of the problems with having a wrist injury is that it all but eliminated weight lifting, so he came back much weaker than he was before Fortson. As it was, he was just recovering from a hernia operation when Fortson mugged him. For all practical purposes, we have never seen the guy who tore up the summer league a year ago and had the Suns so excited.

Injuries are always a problem when evaluating a player. Some guys come back and are better than ever. Some don't. It is very hard to tell which Zarko is, but getting stronger is a key.