Tiger Woods produces late birdies to make Memorial cut but back stiffness concerns

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Tiger Woods fought back from looking almost certain to miss the cut at the Memorial to produce two birdies in the last three holes to survive until the weekend. Yet as much as this great escape reminded the game of the 44-year-old’s enduring competitive spirit, for Woods, himself, this was further evidence of Father Time’s cruelty. “Ageing is not fun,” Woods said after his 76. “Early on in my career I thought it was fantastic because I was getting better and better and better. And now I'm just trying to hold on.” In fairness, this was Woods first competitive event in five months and only his third of 2020. Rust was inevitable. Except it was worrying that, after birdieing his third hole (the 12th) when hitting his tee-shot to within two feet on the 170-yard par three, he proceeded to drop six shots in the next eight holes. Woods’s back was sore and his body language gave it away. “I wasn't quite moving as well as I'd like and couldn't quite turn back and couldn't quite clear - It was a bit of a struggle,” Woods, the five-time Memorial champion, said. “It started this morning during the warm-up. It wasn't quite as good as I'd like. [But] I finished birdie-birdie-par and that's about the only positive to it today. I would like to have the opportunity to play tomorrow.” Alongside Woods at Muirfield Village, Rory McIlroy shot a level-par 72 for two-under, five better than his playing partner. The Northern Irishman faces a fight for the world No 1 position this weekend with Jon Rahm looming menacingly on the leaderboard on a mission to become just the second Spaniard in history to top the rankings. Jose Maria Olazabal never managed it and neither did Sergio Garcia, despite both winning the Masters. The late Severiano Ballesteros stands alone and as the great conquistador happens to be Rahm’s inspiration, prepare for some rich Iberian emotion should the 25-year-old climb to the summit in Ohio.

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson