Zach Ertz should be available

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Ertz should be a viable option
When we pick in the 2nd Rd. (38) if we've already chosen a QB 1st. If not it's another reason I'd like to trade down in the 1st to get another option in the 2nd.

With BA's emphasis on running two TE sets which I embrace as a great trend and effective in both run and pass games.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ertz should be a viable option
When we pick in the 2nd Rd. (38) if we've already chosen a QB 1st. If not it's another reason I'd like to trade down in the 1st to get another option in the 2nd.

With BA's emphasis on running two TE sets which I embrace as a great trend and effective in both run and pass games.
And we get healthy on the OL...when?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we draft a QB in the first and draft a TE in the second I will lose my mind.

1st rnd OL, 2nd rnd QB, 3rd rnd best avail OL/RB/TE

Maybe flip flop 1 and 2 and go QB, OL but I wouldn't put a top 10 pick on any QB in this draft.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
And we get healthy on the OL...when?

If we draft a QB in the first and draft a TE in the second I will lose my mind.

1st rnd OL, 2nd rnd QB, 3rd rnd best avail OL/RB/TE

Maybe flip flop 1 and 2 and go QB, OL but I wouldn't put a top 10 pick on any QB in this draft.

That's why I'm touting a trade down option from #7.

Many , many needs.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with DDog. OL, QB and BPA in the first three rounds. It's been a long time since the OL was addressed in the Round One. And if an OG is what we need to make our running game successful, then so be it.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I agree with DDog. OL, QB and BPA in the first three rounds. It's been a long time since the OL was addressed in the Round One. And if an OG is what we need to make our running game successful, then so be it.

How about OL, QB, TE and RB in first three Rds!?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ertz will go before Eifert in round 1, probably to Seattle.

I believe we may take a peak at a player like Dion Simms or Michael Williams in rounds 3, 4 or 5.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Ertz will go before Eifert in round 1, probably to Seattle.

I believe we may take a peak at a player like Dion Simms or Michael Williams in rounds 3, 4 or 5.

Interesting, I was thinking the other way around. With Ertz going in the top of round 2 sometime.

He'd be a great addition.

I'll take a look at the other two.

Edit: Here's one more.
Vance McDonald, TE, Rice (6050 E, 255 E and 4.65 E): As tight ends like Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham are in more demand, the search for big play, receiving tight ends never ends and McDonald has the physical tools to warrant inclusion in that group. A tall and versatile offensive weapon, McDonald has made big plays catching passes from different alignments. While his offensive production does not compare with some of the top tight ends in the country, his combination of size, athleticism, speed and hands is better than most. This game gives McDonald a similar opportunity to the one that Jimmy Graham had when he came to the Senior Bowl viewed as a raw, but very gifted prospect

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Interesting, I was thinking the other way around. With Ertz going in the top of round 2 sometime.

He'd be a great addition.

I'll take a look at the other two.

Edit: Here's one more.

Ertz is more athletic and as good of a blocker as Eifert. In the end, teams will generally sacrifice blocking ability for athleticism, especially in the first two rounds. Same argument could be made for drafting Eifert over Dion Simms out of Michigan St.

OP
OP
WildBB

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Ertz is more athletic and as good of a blocker as Eifert. In the end, teams will generally sacrifice blocking ability for athleticism, especially in the first two rounds. Same argument could be made for drafting Eifert over Dion Simms out of Michigan St.

Everywhere I've looked Eifert pretty much goes 1st Rd. Usually top 25. I really like Ertz and think they're rated pretty similarly rated, both blocking and catching. I thought Eifert was rated higher on average because of his outstanding pass catching. But I know Ertz was a big part of Stanford's as well.

Anyway, it looks as if Tony Gonzalez will retire. And where the Falcolns pick, I'm sure both will be gone now, by their pick. :sad:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The Cards already have their Aaron Hernandez in Rob Housler. I'm fine with pushing Jeff King a little more down the depth chart (or just giving my boy Jim Dray more reps!) if we want to draft someone else, but he needs to be a two-way player, because Rob Housler doesn't like to play in-line or block anyone.

As a general rule, teams looking for a tight end will draft a guy who can run and catch over a guy who has good hand placement when playing in-line, but for this team with the roster as currently in place, I'd be looking for more of a Rob Gronkowski/Jason Whitten type over the pure receivers.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Everywhere I've looked Eifert pretty much goes 1st Rd. Usually top 25. I really like Ertz and think they're rated pretty similarly rated, both blocking and catching. I thought Eifert was rated higher on average because of his outstanding pass catching. But I know Ertz was a big part of Stanford's as well.

Anyway, it looks as if Tony Gonzalez will retire. And where the Falcolns pick, I'm sure both will be gone now, by their pick. :sad:

That were I have them going, Seattle and then Atlanta respectively and both in the first round. Teams that use the TE have to consider these guys over the WRs because so many WRs come out each year and so few TEs like Ertz/Eifert do.