Zach Cunningham

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I know many of you are very high on Zach Cunningham (6-3, 230, 4.67, 34" arm length) of Vanderbilt, as a "Mike" LB in the Cardinals' 34.

In my film study of him, here are the plusses and concerns I have:

Plusses:

* With long arms and strong lower body, he is able to stack, shed and make plays on the ball with regular effectiveness.
* Comes up with big stops in key situations -- has very good instincts
* Very strong to the ball between the tackles
* Solid in zone coverage -- good at jamming TEs

Concerns:

* Pad level too high --
* More of an arm tackler -- tackles high (and he's good at it, but in the NFL will RBs bounce off him?)
* Only adequate side to side range
* Does he have the speed to cover man to man? Can he be a 3 down ILB? Can he be an effective A gap blitzer? Very raw in that regard.

Brett Kollman is very high on Cunningham and predicts he will be taken in the 20s with the best fit being in Kansas City. Here is his latest video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Along with OJ Howard, and Marlon Humphrey, Cunningham is that "bubble" type player that you can make a good case for or against taking him.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I think his sideline to sideline speed to me is tremendous, and defiantly a strength. I would also add to his strength list is the way he avoids/sheds blockers. He just seems to skim along with them, but stays just ahead of them. I would also add to his weaknesses that his lower body seems smallish and I would be a bit worried that a bigger guards and tackles could ride him out of plays. That is something he could work on though.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I should have added that I would love to take this kid just not at 13. If we could trade back top say 20 and get him, I think that would be awesome

Last edited:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
good player just not big enough to handle the job inside.

Since when is 6'3" and 240 pounds not big enough to be an ISLB? I think he could be the cream of the crop when it's all said and done. It's Foster then him. IMO. BY the way he is exactly the same size as Luke Kuechly.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Since when is 6'3" and 240 pounds not big enough to be an ISLB? I think he could be the cream of the crop when it's all said and done. It's Foster then him. IMO. BY the way he is exactly the same size as Luke Kuechly.

+1

240lbs is now a big linebacker in the NFL. The days of the 260lbs inside linebacker are gone.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can lead the league in missing tackles

bad tackling was our issue last season

Hopefully with our great old teacher the guy eventually can learn how to tackle properly

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Cunningham lists 6`3 230-234 lbs and is lacking the bulk to take on blockers.Kids a good player but I sure as hell don`t want a ILB at 13.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
He can lead the league in missing tackles

bad tackling was our issue last season

Hopefully with our great old teacher the guy eventually can learn how to tackle properly

He lead the SEC in tackles last year, granted Vandy's DL might not be the greatest but still over 10 per game is not bad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen