Zach Allen Poll

Should we have paid $15.25m a year to retain Zach Allen?

• Total voters
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...says the guy that always posts skewed in one direction lol

No mate. I don't always posy skewed in one direction. You only comment on the ones I do. Not the same thing.

For example. Slated the Kyler extension. Slated Kyler's attitude. Slated Kyler's play last year (and most other years prior outside his 3rd). Wrote several posts over many years criticising Kliff's scheme and a dozen other things should I care to go looking.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No mate. I don't always posy skewed in one direction. You only comment on the ones I do. Not the same thing.

For example. Slated the Kyler extension. Slated Kyler's attitude. Slated Kyler's play last year (and most other years prior outside his 3rd). Wrote several posts over many years criticising Kliff's scheme and a dozen other things should I care to go looking.
Skewed in one direction as in you pick a stance and there is never, ever any middle ground. Every opinion is your hill to die on.

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skewed in one direction as in you pick a stance and there is never, ever any middle ground. Every opinion is your hill to die on.

Never a middle ground? The hill I die on is often the middle ground. Half the ridiculous arguments on here are me pointing out the middle ground while someone else normally takes the path of rage.

This whole freaking Zach Allen thread is me saying "I can see it both ways. It's an overpay. Maybe we could have overpaid but I can see why they didn't".

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There are risks with his history of nagging injuries, but the guy is the epitome of young talent that is ascending.

You couple that with a 15 mill salary (and a short 3-year term) and it's something we should have done. That's not an overpay, not in 2023. Wouldn't be an overpay 4-5 years earlier. Guys are making 20+ now.

We also have a dearth of talent on the lines. I can stomach moving on from older guys and people not wanting to be here that might not fit a 3-4 year time frame, but Allen does and in the trenches. If someone offered him 20 or so, like Kirk, then so be it. 15 is bordering on a bargain for an unrestricted free agent.

We can blame Keim for leaving us in this position, but it's on Monti for not recovering from Keim's indecision. He easily could have, at least from a number's position. But we are grasping at straws for assuming he's choosing VJ over here. Maybe, maybe not.

IMO it's likely VJ and Payton offered him more than us, and the familiarity made it an easy sell.

If we're trying to rebuild, you start in the trenches, with young guys. Allen was one of them and a known quantity.

Definitely a step back. Now let's hope Monti has the plan to move us a few steps forward.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Allen is a good defensive lineman and is only 25 years old. This contract will go into his prime.
I wonder if that was the clincher for him with Denver. He'll get another bite at the free agency apple at 28, which will allow teams to expect at least another year or two of prime play.

Usually you see deals for 4-5 years to push out the cap implications. It's possible we offered similar money and guarantees but wanted a longer term. Sad!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t vote because we have to get it through our heads. NOBODY is worth paying to keep on this roster.
If cutting or trading a player causes dead cap space they are probably going to make the team.
You will probably see us make a couple of trade deadline moves too. A guy like Connor could be gone if he’s having a good year. Anybody on their last year of a contract will be made available for any kind of compensation.
The front office can spin it anyway they want. But leaving Allen walk away says it all.
This is a full blown rebuild. I only hope they bring in a decent QB to make it tolerable to watch. I don’t want to live through a season of Ryan Lindley.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It won't be Ryan Lindley
At the rate we're going, it's going to be the dl version of Ryan Lindley

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worth it to Denver. Not necessarily worth it to a rebuilding Cardinals team with a new defense and coaching staff.
I feel like you actually don’t believe this. You say this like Zach is 33 instead of a young player on the come-up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave