Zac Taylor to Interview for HC

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Peter Carmichael should be interviewed as well.

But not all candidates should be dismissed because of not having an extensive resume...If someone has the “it” factor you make a move. Case in point, Sean McVay only had 3 years experience as OC of a mediocre Redskins team that compiled a
21-26-1 record over three seasons. In those three years their best season was only 9-7.
But at least he had 3 years of experience as an OC. Taylor hasn’t.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can’t argue with that. Which makes me wonder if they will actually strongly consider someone who hasn’t been a HC before (especially after feeling burned by Wilks who never had the HC experience).

I know they have a history of hiring guys who haven’t been a HC before (like Whiz & BA). But I wonder if they’ll give Josh McDaniels a call.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To me the good news is they appear to be humbly learning from their mistakes (searching for an offensive HC, moving quickly on the hire rather than taking pride in doing their “due diligence” and being last to hire someone, not publicly saying who they are pursuing due to competition).

Well, it could take some time. The reason being that some of these coaches are still in the playoffs, and none of them can be hired before their current team are out of it.

---------------------

I wanted to take a look at Zac Taylor and Dan Campbell – two coaches the Cards have officially requested interviews with.

Zac Taylor is a 35-year-old quarterback back coach with the Rams. He played quarterback himself in college and was in training camp with the Bucs yet got cut at the end and didn’t get more chances.

In 2012 he was hired by the Dolphins as an assistant quarterbacks coach, and the next year he got promoted to quarterbacks coach. In 2015 they promoted him again, this time to offensive coordinator while he kept his position as quarterbacks coach. He called plays for Miami for a half season before being let go, and then he got the same job with the Cincinnati Bearcats in college football. In 2017 he was hired by the Rams as their wide receivers coach, and the year after he became their quarterbacks coach.

Taylor received rare reviews for his time with the Dolphins, among other things for stepping into a difficult situation and for his game planning. Their young quarterback, Ryan Tannehill, thrived under Taylor (remember, Tannehill was really good the first couple of years).

Sean McVay has praised Taylor multiple times, saying he has a lot of emotional intelligence and praising his thought for an offense.

I’m pretty sure the Cardinals would prefer to interview Taylor with the intention making him the offensive coordinator if a new head coach would like that, but it might not be enough considering how other teams wants to interview Taylor as well.

By the way, the notion that the Cardinals wouldn’t hire someone as inexperienced doesn’t really make sense to me after how they reportedly loved Brian Flores, the linebackers coach with the Patriots, last year.

-----------

Dan Campbell is a 42 year old tight ends coach from the Saints. He played tight end for ten years as a journeyman in the NFL. In 2011 through 2015 he was hired as a tight ends coach with the Dolphins before being promoted to their interim head coach when Joe Philbin was let go. Actually, when he served as the head coach, Zac Taylor was his offensive coordinator. He went 5-7 as a head coach. When he was replaced in Miami, he was hired as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach with the Saints. Campbell has been a tight ends coach for a lot of year, and a half year as an interim head coach, but he has no experience calling plays, which would then have to be delegated to someone else. That wouldn’t be a problem, though, as playcalling is far down the list of qualities a head coach need.

Also, Dan Campbell is a Bill Parcels protégé. From studying Parcells closely, both in person and by doing projects on Parcells, Campbell learned to focus on both defense and offense, and he learned to connect with different players from a myriad of backgrounds. Aside from that he has obviously coached under Sean Payton for a lot of years, and though he has not done any game planning, he has been giving input to Payton’s plans (every offensive coach with the Saints does that), and as an assistant head coach he has had various duties. Payton tried to hire Campbell multiple times before succeeding. Not to mention that Sean Payton is a Bill Parcells protégé as well.

Campbell is probably most “famous” for having the Dolphins players running a full contact Oklahoma drill during practice.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To me Zac Taylor is the most interesting prospect with the potential to have the most upside of all the candidates. I love the fact that he’s young, around McVay’s brilliant mind, and most likely able to bring his younger brother, Press Taylor with him (currently the quarterbacks coach for the Eagles). The idea of two up-and-coming brilliant minds working together is very exciting. (Who knows, maybe they are the next John & Jim Harbaugh)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
optimistic me: i like the upside here, and the pairing of an innovative offensive mind -- one that has experience outside of McVay's system as well -- with Rosen.

pessimistic me: this feels a little like "well McVay and Kyle Shanahan were young offensive hot shots and that turned out well" so i will go with young offensive hotshot.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I will take the Taylors only if Bowles comes with them as DC

I am ok with any experienced DC with a good track record. Bowles would be my preference but he could always take a job elsewhere, especially if Arians comes back to coaching

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We are not considering McVay who is the main architect of the Rams' success but his QB coach and frankly I think it would be a bad hire with way too much inexperience for a head coaching job... just say no to this one

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's not McVay who is the main architect of the Rams' success and frankly I think it would be a bad hire with way too much inexperience for a head coaching job... just say no to this one
If it's not McVay, then why is it a bad hire?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It's not McVay who is the main architect of the Rams' success and frankly I think it would be a bad hire with way too much inexperience for a head coaching job... just say no to this one

Then who is the main architect if it isn’t the head coach?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If it's not McVay, then why is it a bad hire?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What I meant was because it's not McVay who is the main guy but the freaking QB coach for a head coaching position after we already rolled the dice on a DC without enough coaching experience to run the whole show. The foundation of this team right now is in shambles, we need someone who can build a foundation

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I will take the Taylors only if Bowles comes with them as DC

It’s funny because that was McVay’s method. He brought in one of the most reputable defensive coaches in Wade Philips who also had prior HC experience.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s funny because that was McVay’s method. He brought in one of the most reputable defensive coaches in Wade Philips who also had prior HC experience.
I have to agree with this take. If we bring in a young HC that is offensive mind then we need to bring in a strong DC with experience to help him.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I can't get on board with this guy either.

"On January 30, 2012, Taylor was named assistant quarterbacks coach for the NFL's Miami Dolphins. He was previously an assistant coach at Texas A&M, serving under former head coach Mike Sherman, his father-in-law.[6][7] On November 30, 2015, he was promoted to the team's interim offensive coordinator, after the firing of the previous offensive coordinator, Bill Lazor. During the five games Taylor served as OC, the Dolphins went 2-3 and averaged 17 points per game,[8] a slight regress from their per-game average under Lazor, though Interim Coach Dan Campbell still had positive things to say of Taylor's performance.[9]"

17pts per game is not good.

Based on quote above, Taylor would be the OC if they hire Dan Campbell. Hope that doesn't happen.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get on board with this guy either.

"On January 30, 2012, Taylor was named assistant quarterbacks coach for the NFL's Miami Dolphins. He was previously an assistant coach at Texas A&M, serving under former head coach Mike Sherman, his father-in-law.[6][7] On November 30, 2015, he was promoted to the team's interim offensive coordinator, after the firing of the previous offensive coordinator, Bill Lazor. During the five games Taylor served as OC, the Dolphins went 2-3 and averaged 17 points per game,[8] a slight regress from their per-game average under Lazor, though Interim Coach Dan Campbell still had positive things to say of Taylor's performance.[9]"

17pts per game is not good.

Based on quote above, this would be there OC if they hire Dan Campbell. Hope that doesn't happen.

You must be registered for see images attach
I don’t agree with this assessment because an interim coach is working with an offense that not HIS offense. Much like leftwich, he couldn’t make major changes in mid season. Would Taylor rather be Campbell’s OC or cardinal head coach? I guess we will see.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, it could take some time. The reason being that some of these coaches are still in the playoffs, and none of them can be hired before their current team are out of it.

---------------------

I wanted to take a look at Zac Taylor and Dan Campbell – two coaches the Cards have officially requested interviews with.

Zac Taylor is a 35-year-old quarterback back coach with the Rams. He played quarterback himself in college and was in training camp with the Bucs yet got cut at the end and didn’t get more chances.

In 2012 he was hired by the Dolphins as an assistant quarterbacks coach, and the next year he got promoted to quarterbacks coach. In 2015 they promoted him again, this time to offensive coordinator while he kept his position as quarterbacks coach. He called plays for Miami for a half season before being let go, and then he got the same job with the Cincinnati Bearcats in college football. In 2017 he was hired by the Rams as their wide receivers coach, and the year after he became their quarterbacks coach.

Taylor received rare reviews for his time with the Dolphins, among other things for stepping into a difficult situation and for his game planning. Their young quarterback, Ryan Tannehill, thrived under Taylor (remember, Tannehill was really good the first couple of years).

Sean McVay has praised Taylor multiple times, saying he has a lot of emotional intelligence and praising his thought for an offense.

I’m pretty sure the Cardinals would prefer to interview Taylor with the intention making him the offensive coordinator if a new head coach would like that, but it might not be enough considering how other teams wants to interview Taylor as well.

By the way, the notion that the Cardinals wouldn’t hire someone as inexperienced doesn’t really make sense to me after how they reportedly loved Brian Flores, the linebackers coach with the Patriots, last year.

-----------

Dan Campbell is a 42 year old tight ends coach from the Saints. He played tight end for ten years as a journeyman in the NFL. In 2011 through 2015 he was hired as a tight ends coach with the Dolphins before being promoted to their interim head coach when Joe Philbin was let go. Actually, when he served as the head coach, Zac Taylor was his offensive coordinator. He went 5-7 as a head coach. When he was replaced in Miami, he was hired as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach with the Saints. Campbell has been a tight ends coach for a lot of year, and a half year as an interim head coach, but he has no experience calling plays, which would then have to be delegated to someone else. That wouldn’t be a problem, though, as playcalling is far down the list of qualities a head coach need.

Also, Dan Campbell is a Bill Parcels protégé. From studying Parcells closely, both in person and by doing projects on Parcells, Campbell learned to focus on both defense and offense, and he learned to connect with different players from a myriad of backgrounds. Aside from that he has obviously coached under Sean Payton for a lot of years, and though he has not done any game planning, he has been giving input to Payton’s plans (every offensive coach with the Saints does that), and as an assistant head coach he has had various duties. Payton tried to hire Campbell multiple times before succeeding. Not to mention that Sean Payton is a Bill Parcells protégé as well.

Campbell is probably most “famous” for having the Dolphins players running a full contact Oklahoma drill during practice.
Just FYI zac was assistant wide receivers coach and Tannehill was never “really good” unless his only point of comparison was scud. I believe he performed well under zac but “really good is a bit of an exaggeration.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
"Success has many fathers but failure is an orphan"

The NFL is all about taking credit for player development (look at Philly last year, was it Pederson, Reich, DeFelippo, or just the player?) but deflecting the blame (injuries, bad QB, bad owner, etc).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What I meant was because it's not McVay, who is the main guy, but the freaking QB coach for a head coaching position after we already rolled the dice on a DC without enough coaching experience to run the whole show. The foundation of this team right now is in shambles, we need someone who can build a foundation
Still missing the necessary commas to change the meaning of his post. I inserted them above for better context.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard