YOUR top-5 sitcoms of all time

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys have made me so conflicted about my list! lol So many good shows. Can't believe I left It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia off my list... Since Wonderfalls is technically a drama I will replace it with Philly.

I never saw it I dont know.
VERY highly recommend it. Its by Mike Judge.

I didn't put sunny up. I enjoy it but its a mess and not in my top shows at all personally even though some of the episodes were gold.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I never watched a single episode of Seinfeld, just wasn't on my radar.
You must be registered for see images attach

VERY highly recommend it. Its by Mike Judge.

I didn't put sunny up. I enjoy it but its a mess and not in my top shows at all personally even though some of the episodes were gold.

That's how I feel about The League and why it didn't get on my list.

That show was so HILARIOUS at times and some episodes are perfect, but like you said about Sunny, it's all over the place so it didn't make my cut.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I LOVE that you included Wonderfalls because it is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen on television (though people should watch the next to last episode, "Totem Mole" either last or never because it totally derails the momentum of the story arcs...). But Wonderfalls was technically a drama in that it's running time was 42 to 44 minutes.

I agree, I loved it tho I think you're right about it being a drama.

It was such a weird show but I really liked it. Jaye is such a funny character and Caroline Dhavernas is fantastic. I remember the Totem Mole episode and having that WTF feeling. lol

Errntknght

Reaction score
This is definitely a good idea... lots of things to check out if they ever show up as reruns.

I'm surprised no one listed the Dick van Dyke show... it was one of the originals. Except for occasional sports I didn't watch TV until I had kids so DvD was in reruns before I saw it. My kids were 10 years apart so I watched them all twice. (I was subjected to Gilligan's Island and I Dream of Jeanie twice, too. Yuck!)
Mary Tyler Moore was the only sitcom I watched when it aired - my wife and I never planned anything for Saturday night because we couldn't bear to miss MTM.
Two of my other favorites that got no mention are 'House' and 'Monk'... maybe they don't qualify as sitcoms. I really liked the combination of humor and a strong story line.
"Soap' was one of the most enjoyed shows in my house - but not by me. My wife's mom used to come over to watch it with her and two would be laughing so hard I couldn't hear half the dialog.
'Fawlty Towers' was great. I enjoy Brit humor... 'Are You Being Served'; 'Yes, Minister', 'To the Manor Born', even Bennie Hill, up to a point. 'Last of the Summer Wine', 'As Time Goes By'.
I sporadically enjoyed most of the old standards: Seinfeld, MASH, Frasier, Cheers, Bob Newhart, WKRP, All in the Family, etc.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to take off MASH, though. In my opinion it's the greatest half-hour scripted series in the history of television.

I agree it is probably the best show ever made. I was just thinking what consistently makes me laugh.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seinfeld
Sunny
30 rock
Married with children
Flight of the conchords

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Parks and Recreation - 1st season is painful but the rest of the series is so freaking funny. The characters, every single one of them, are what make this show for me. Hands down my all time favorite sitcom. Ron Swanson is my favorite character on this show and he was the 2nd bobblehead I ever owned. Leslie Knope is a queen.

2. The Office - Thursday nights prior to having a DVR was appointment television for me and it was allllll about The Office. Dwight Schrute remains one of my favorite characters of all time. He was the first bobblehead I ever owned.

3. Friends - Oh my god I was obsessed with this show. They were the first DVD seasons that I owned besides X-Files. I dominated Friends trivia and would cut a biiiatch who talked crap about this show. Ross Gellar and Phoebe Buffay were my favorite characters. Sadly, no bobblehead. You are a fan if the words "Crap Bag" and "Princess Consuela Banana Hammock" mean anything to you.

4. 30 Rock - Liz Lemon is my idol. She's flawed and funny and crazy and a kind soul. This show is clever as hell. One of my all time favorite quotes is from Tracy Jordan: "Stop eating other people's French fries, pigeon! Have some self-respect! Don't you know you can fly?"

5. Brooklyn 99/Scrubs/That 70s Show - not in love with these shows but they are fun and I enjoy them on a superficial level.

Edited to change Crab bag to crap bag because typos affect things.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
3. Friends - Oh my god I was obsessed with this show. They were the first DVD seasons that I owned besides X-Files. I dominated Friends trivia and would cut a biiiatch who talked crap about this show. Ross Gellar and Phoebe Buffay were my favorite characters. Sadly, no bobblehead. You are a fan if the words "Crab Bag" and "Princess Consuela Banana Hammock" mean anything to you.
I hate to be "that guy", but it was "crap bag" not "crab bag". :)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to be "that guy", but it was "crap bag" not "crab bag". :)
Yes, I do know you're that guy. I did truly mean Crap bag and not Crab bag. My phone autocorrects every freaking thing and I missed that one (out of several that I did change). Princess Consuela Banana Hammock was hard enough to ensure it was typed in correctly.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Fresh prince of Bel Air
2. Married with Children
3. Family Matters
4. The Jeffersons
5. The Golden Girls

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eastbound and Down
Veep
Brockmire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development

followed closwely and interchangeable
Fawlty Towers
Silicon Valley
Southpark
The Family Guy
Weeds

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seinfeld
Arrested Development - Only made it through the first two episodes of season 4
Cheers
Everybody Loves Raymond
30 Rock

Alternates:
NewsRadio
Fraser

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Sports Night
2. Sports Night
3. Sports Night
4. Friends
5. How I Met Your Mother

(honorable mention: Sports Night)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
South Park
Family Guy
Dragon Ball Z
Reboot
Freaks & Geeks

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
South Park
Family Guy
Dragon Ball Z
Reboot
Freaks & Geeks

First I said no animated and you've included 3 of them,,, and on what planet is Dragon Ball Z a situational comedy? lol Goku would take great offense to that label! Follow directions Bodha! Bad Bodha!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First I said no animated and you've included 3 of them,,, and on what planet is Dragon Ball Z a situational comedy? lol Goku would take great offense to that label! Follow directions Bodha! Bad Bodha!

DBZ has plenty of comedy. In fact its arguably funnier than 90% of the shows I seen listed thus far. Goku is so much of a clown that its annoyed me at times. Cant imagine how powerful he'd be if he didnt act like a 4 year old.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, never did find it funny.

In no particular order:

Modern Family
Bewitched
3rd Rock from the Sun
Wings
Big Bang Theory

Glad someone else mentioned Wings. I loved that show when I was back in college during the mid 90s. Very underrated IMO.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Barney Miller
2. Three's Company
3. The Bob Newhart Show
4. The Inbetweeners
5. Get Smart

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1)Seinfeld
2)Cheers
3)Community
4)The Jeffersons
5)The Wonder Years
Also:Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The wonder years

Married with children(the Jefferson years more than the Steve years)

Modern family( before the kids grew up)

Sanford and son

Get smart

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson