Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WKRP in Cincinnati
Cheers
All in the Family
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Heartland (Which lasted one season. It starred Brian Keith as the grumpy buy lovable patriarch of a farm family.)

Honorable mention: NewsRadio, Wings and Sanford and Son

how in the hell did I forget WKRP?

Great show.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
1: Seinfeld
2: Scrubs
3: Silicon Valley
4: Friends
5: It's Always Sunny

Although I have a hard time categorizing Scrubs, Silicon Valley, and Always Sunny as "sitcoms."

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Larry Sanders Show
MASH
The Simpsons

Alternates:
King Of Queens
The Office
Flight Of The Conchords
The Last Man On Earth
The Young ones
Married With Children

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never watched a single episode of Seinfeld, just wasn't on my radar.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not my top 5 as I like almost any pre mid-90's sitcoms, but...

Welcome back Kotter
ALF
The Love Boat
Night Court
Diff'rent Strokes

Seems like the 80's were the golden age for sitcoms since the PC wave started in the late 90s. Maybe I'm too jaded, but there's just not many sitcoms I like today.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never watched a single episode of Seinfeld, just wasn't on my radar.

I watched the first season when it came out but I didn't care for it at all. Same with Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond - and all 3 shows were very popular. I guess it demonstrates how important individual taste is when it comes to entertainment and especially when it comes to humor.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
1. Family Ties
2. Cheers
3. Taxi
4. Facts of Life
5. Webster

Just way too many as really love the oldies but goodies shows. Today's TV except for very few shows do not mesh well. Rarely watch TV these days except for NFL, Survivor, and News.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I watched the first season when it came out but I didn't care for it at all. Same with Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond - and all 3 shows were very popular. I guess it demonstrates how important individual taste is when it comes to entertainment and especially when it comes to humor.
And when you started watching them.

Last edited:

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Well this is turned out to be just as absurd as all the other "Best of..." lists I try to make. But here:

M*A*S*H
Soap
Mad About You
Seinfeld
The Bob Newhart Show (1972-1978)

Also please consider:

The Drew Carey Show
The Building/The Bonnie Hunt Show
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Better Off Ted
Happy Endings
Sports Night
NewsRadio

Current shows that are pretty good:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Fresh Off the Boat
Better Things
American Housewife

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
No judgement zone. Pay no attention to Emmy awards, critical acclaims, running years... Simply list what YOUR top 5 sitcoms of all time are.

(No Dramas or action series and also no animated series, separate category)

Mine:

1. Seinfeld (as re watchable as anything IMO)
2. Fresh Prince of Bel-air (this was just right in my teenage wheelhouse and had so much heart and humor and Will Smith and I was so in love with Tatyana who was the same age as me, and the older sister...) Uncle Phil always reminded me so much of my Dad...
3. Cheers
4. Wonderfalls (I seriously loved that show and was super sad it didn't even last 1 season, everyone lauded Freaks and Geeks and Pushing Daisies from this same guy, but man Wonderfalls was just so weird and original, I loved everything they did, but I really would have liked to see more seasons from all of those shows! I guess I'm just weird.)
5. M.A.S.H. True story; (I was born in 1980) when I was a kid, my parents and their friends thought it was WEIRD that this was my favorite show for a while. They called me an 'old soul'. lol
5a. Will and Grace Yep I'm gonna set a terrible example by breaking my own rules in the first post of my thread, but Will and Grace was a hilarious show. And I have fond memories of watching it with someone so it always holds a place.

Yours? Reasons why? Like I said, not a place to debate, just share and reminisce

I LOVE that you included Wonderfalls because it is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen on television (though people should watch the next to last episode, "Totem Mole" either last or never because it totally derails the momentum of the story arcs...). But Wonderfalls was technically a drama in that it's running time was 42 to 44 minutes.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I LOVE that you included Wonderfalls because it is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen on television (though people should watch the next to last episode, "Totem Mole" either last or never because it totally derails the momentum of the story arcs...). But Wonderfalls was technically a drama in that it's running time was 42 to 44 minutes.
I was going to include Police Squad but decided against it as I feared I would catch the wrath of those in the know. Truth be told, I loved it.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If you have Seinfeld and Curb on your list, you are correct. The rest of you....

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Do you know what shrinkage is, or double dipping?

Shrinkage is what my Levi's do if I leave them in the dryer too long. Double dipping happens with rocky road ice cream, right?

btw, my flight to Minot has been sitting on the tarmac for a maintenence problem for 45 min. I have to pee.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A little sad seeing nobody put down Parks & Rec, even as an alternate. Probably the best sitcom of the last decade - ratings be damned.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have Seinfeld and Curb on your list, you are correct. The rest of you....

....are still correct. Comedy is in the ear of the beholder. Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld aren't for everyone, they especially aren't for this one. To many of you, they are what intelligent comedy is all about. For me, they are the wine snobs of comedy and I enjoy them only slightly more than I would enjoy watching baby seals get what's coming to them.

Edit: Don't you just hate it when someone gets all serious in response to a playful comment? In my defense, I wanted this point established because I knew I was about to admit to liking The Nanny and wanted to head off some of the mockery and derision such a confession might have elicited.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little sad seeing nobody put down Parks & Rec, even as an alternate. Probably the best sitcom of the last decade - ratings be damned.

Other than Big Bang Theory, I don't think I've watched or even tried to watch a half hour comedy show (while it's still airing) since The Nanny. And The Nanny, btw, comes awfully close to making my top 5 list. I'm sure few would agree with that ranking but it made us laugh, often, until the final season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Other than Big Bang Theory, I don't think I've watched or even tried to watch a half hour comedy show (while it's still airing) since The Nanny. And The Nanny, btw, comes awfully close to making my top 5 list. I'm sure few would agree with that ranking but it made us laugh, often, until the final season.
Then you need to watch Parks & Rec. Do nothing else: start watching it. You can skip season 1 if you want, but it really picks up steam in season 3 and doesn't let up for the rest of its run. It had the best character on television for several years in Ron Swanson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you need to watch Parks & Rec. Do nothing else: start watching it. You can skip season 1 if you want, but it really picks up steam in season 3 and doesn't let up for the rest of its run. It had the best character on television for several years in Ron Swanson.

I'll give it a try but I should point out that if much of the comedy comes from "meanness", it won't do much for me. That's the reason I've turned away from TV the past few years, it seems to be the driving influence for most shows whether they are comedic or dramatic in nature.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'll give it a try but I should point out that if much of the comedy comes from "meanness", it won't do much for me. That's the reason I've turned away from TV the past few years, it seems to be the driving influence for most shows whether they are comedic or dramatic in nature.
It's not. The lead, Leslie Knope, is one of the most optimistic characters you'll ever see. Granted, they work for a small government department in a small Indiana town, so things don't go the way they want, but Amy Poehler is just so happy in the role, you just can't help but smile.

This originally had an Office format, where the characters would speak to the camera as if they were filming a documentary, but they gave up that particular thing--the characters still speak to the camera, but it's not with the intention of a documentary.

And Adam Scott is great when he acknowledges the camera--like breaking the 4th wall.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
M*A*S*H
Friends
Will & Grace
Modern Family
The Big Bang Theory

So many didn't make the cut, but those are the five I will watch reruns if I am flipping through channels

Sorry Blackish

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard