YOUR top-5 sitcoms of all time

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No judgement zone. Pay no attention to Emmy awards, critical acclaims, running years... Simply list what YOUR top 5 sitcoms of all time are.

(No Dramas or action series and also no animated series, separate category)

Mine:

1. Seinfeld (as re watchable as anything IMO)
2. Fresh Prince of Bel-air (this was just right in my teenage wheelhouse and had so much heart and humor and Will Smith and I was so in love with Tatyana who was the same age as me, and the older sister...) Uncle Phil always reminded me so much of my Dad...
3. Cheers
4. Wonderfalls (I seriously loved that show and was super sad it didn't even last 1 season, everyone lauded Freaks and Geeks and Pushing Daisies from this same guy, but man Wonderfalls was just so weird and original, I loved everything they did, but I really would have liked to see more seasons from all of those shows! I guess I'm just weird.)
5. M.A.S.H. True story; (I was born in 1980) when I was a kid, my parents and their friends thought it was WEIRD that this was my favorite show for a while. They called me an 'old soul'. lol
5a. Will and Grace Yep I'm gonna set a terrible example by breaking my own rules in the first post of my thread, but Will and Grace was a hilarious show. And I have fond memories of watching it with someone so it always holds a place.

Yours? Reasons why? Like I said, not a place to debate, just share and reminisce

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
In no particular order:
Cheers: Has another sitcom ever produced as many iconic characters?

Family Ties: Loved the show as a kid and it probably makes the list for nostalgic sake.

Seinfeld: Should probably be on most everyone's top five list.

Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Consistently makes me laugh in an age where I don't like many sitcoms.

Wonder Years: Didn't ever make me laugh, but it wasn't really trying to. I just enjoyed the world that it created.

Honorable mention:
Arrested Development: Season 4 was a stinker but the first three season were as good as it get. Fingers crossed for a bounce back season 5.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seinfeld: every episode is a classic. Something quotable from every last one.
Cheers: that show was durable and fresh year after year.
Friends: The first five seasons were so LOL funny.
Big Bang: Same here. The early seasons were so good, and made it okay to be smart and doofy.
Way back classics: Had to save a spot for all the shows I grew up with as a collective (I love Lucy, All in the Family, Gilligans Island, Munsters, I Dream of Jeannie, even the Brady Bunch). None was literary brilliance. All of them made me happy as a kid.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mary Tyler Moore... what's not to like?
Sanford and Son... it aired before Monday Night football
Gilligans Island... Jim Backus made the show for me
Mash.. even though Alan Alda seemed a tad self righteous
Bob Newhart... Daryl and his other brother Daryl

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cheers
Seinfeld
Parks & Recreation
MASH
Friends

Honorably Mentions for:
Taxi
Gilligan's Island
The Golden Girls

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In no order:

Get Smart
Cheers
Taxi
Bob Newhart Show
The Big Bang Theory

Also, MASH until Frank Burns exits and the first seasons of Gilligan's Island, Cybill, Murphy Brown and WKRP in Cincinnati and the first couple of seasons for Mary Tyler Moore Show. With a special nod to the far-too-soon cancelled Buffalo Bill and It's Your Move.

Oh, and Fawlty Towers which probably deserves it's own category.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In no order:

Get Smart
Cheers
Taxi
Bob Newhart Show
The Big Bang Theory

Also, MASH until Frank Burns exits and the first seasons of Gilligan's Island, Cybill, Murphy Brown and WKRP in Cincinnati and the first couple of seasons for Mary Tyler Moore Show. With a special nod to the far-too-soon cancelled Buffalo Bill and It's Your Move.

Showing your age here, Steve. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mash.. even though Alan Alda seemed a tad self righteous

A tad? As in, the sun is a tad warm, the water is a tad wet?

I guess he was probably always a but preachy bit it didn't get out of hand until the Winchester seasons IMO. Prior to that, we'd get a few episodes a year but the rest were usually stellar comedic shows.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What, you figure I must be in my early 20's because I'm the one of the few that mentioned the Big Bang Theory?
Nope, Cybill and Get Smart pretty much do it. And of course Buffalo Bill and that other show I've never heard of, and I'm in my 40s! :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And, if Phineas and Ferb counts as a sitcom, it would definitely bounce someone from my top 5 list. I've probably laughed more and I know I've quoted more from that show than all the other top shows combined. When we re-watch the original Star Wars trilogy, which we do regularly, we always include P&F's version right along with the others.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, Cybill and Get Smart pretty much do it. And of course Buffalo Bill and that other show I've never heard of, and I'm in my 40s! :D

I guess you're talking about It's Your Move which came out around the same time as Buffalo Bill. It paired the guy who played Steve in Married With Children against a teenaged Jason Bateman. Jason was a budding con man who would always try to outsmart Steve (can't think of his real name or even his character name in this show) but Steve almost always ended up a step in front of the precocious Bateman.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sheesh, you kids today with your loud music, your Dan Fogleberg, your Zima, hula hoops and pac-man video games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those that don't know, my last comment about "you kids" is a mild reworking of a great line by Ernest Borgnine in the Oscar winning classic "Baseketball". At least I think it won the Oscar that year? Which reminds me, I really liked McHale's Navy growing up too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Cheers
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. Louie
4. Veep
5. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Honorable Mention:

Arrested Development. Seasons 1-3 are beyond brilliant but season 4 was a dog.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Too many to list but here are 5 in no particular order:

Cheers: "But I'll be sober in the morning"
M*A*S*H: "That's only an ugly rumor started by my wife".
Seinfeld: "There was shrinkage!"
Sanford and Son: "Oh, this is the biggest one I ever had. You hear that Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you honey."
Leave it to Beaver: Hope you weren't too hard on the Beaver".

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many to list but here are 5 in no particular order:

Cheers: "But I'll be sober in the morning"
M*A*S*H: "That's only an ugly rumor started by my wife".
Seinfeld: "There was shrinkage!"
Sanford and Son: "Oh, this is the biggest one I ever had. You hear that Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you honey."
Leave it to Beaver: Hope you weren't too hard on the Beaver".

I think the joke goes "Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night".

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those that don't know, my last comment about "you kids" is a mild reworking of a great line by Ernest Borgnine in the Oscar winning classic "Baseketball". At least I think it won the Oscar that year? Which reminds me, I really liked McHale's Navy growing up too.

Man, i forgot, I loved McHale's Navy... and in the same genre, for you younsters, there was Gomer Pyle and the Phil Silvers show

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I think the joke goes "Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night".
Yeah, that is what I always used as a joke but the only clip I could find was this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In no order

Big Bang Theory
Seinfeld
MASH
Friends
Bob Newhart

Just missed the cut would be Cheers. It probably doesn't count as a Sitcom because of the language but I would put Silicon Valley in there too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In no order:

Get Smart
Cheers
Taxi
Bob Newhart Show
The Big Bang Theory

Forgot about Taxi that would be an alternate.

Loved Farty Towels too.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WKRP in Cincinnati
Cheers
All in the Family
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Heartland (Which lasted one season. It starred Brian Keith as the grumpy buy lovable patriarch of a farm family.)

Honorable mention: NewsRadio, Wings and Sanford and Son

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson