Your Opinion of Sarver

What is your opinion of Sarver?

• Total voters

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is Sarver cheap or is he stupid?

I hear complaints that he is cheap because he didn't offer Joe or TT enough money, he sells picks and gives away quality players. On the other hand the Suns have a pretty high payroll including Shaq which would imply that he isn't cheap.

I think we can all agree that he has made some incredibly dumb moves. My question is, do you attribute the stupidity of these moves to Sarver's desire to make money or to his stupidity?

Last edited:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
He's a lot of things, none of which I can say here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is arrogant. He treats this team like it is his toy with his antics including jumping off the trampolines to dunk with the gorilla.

He is an embarrassment to the fan base. He is a liar who tries to plead the poor house but his business records tell a far different story. He is meddlesome, forcing out people who have been in basketball their entire lives and may not agree with him.

He is like a cheap version of Mark Cuban. Another attention ***** middle aged millionaire.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That picture is cute. It is nice that he and the girl next to him could color coordinate their blouses together.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever met Sarver? Or had business dealings with him? Just curious, since everyone seems to have an opinion on his personality and demeanor. :shrug:

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think he's dumb, and I enjoy his enthusiasm but he's definitely a bottom line guy and the most important thing to him is turning a profit. In my mind his priorities are:

1a - Turn a profit
1b - Win

I say it this way because I truly believe he does want to win and isn't an owner solely to make money (much like the Bidwills have historically been). However, the trades of players and picks for cash, shows that he wants that expenses-to-win ratio as narrow as possible.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's from Tucson, so that makes 1 of the choices unavoidable

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Damn. That's an ugly shirt.

Not too many stupid people become millionaire businessmen. Like was said above, he's a bottomline guy who isn't going to sacrifice fiscal responsibility for short-term success.

JMO, I've never met the guy.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Whatever millions he's saved by trading away players AND 1st round picks he will LOSE in the next couple years as attendance falters.
Now the team is old and slow.
He got rid of the rights to Luol Deng and Rajon Rondo.
Joe Johnson over 5 mil.
I say "he" because all these decisions appear about finance, not basketball.
I've enjoyed the last 4 years, but soon I'll be getting free game tickets again as the Suns slide into mediocrity and even the lottery.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I've enjoyed the last 4 years, but soon I'll be getting free game tickets again as the Suns slide into mediocrity and even the lottery.

Lottery with a difference, no lottery pick, as that was given away to help unload salary. Sarver may have been good at real estate, but he's botched the suns up good, one decision after another, terrible.

negatives

1) JJ gone over 5 mil
2) BC gone, ego problem
3) JC pushed out, same
4) Kerr in, his boy with zero GM experience, just zero, a friggin broadcaster, benchwarmer former player
5) TT out for a pittance
6) big contract for Diaw, banks
7) KT, JR out, picks given away(rondo, aaron brooks)
8) marion out banks out expiring contract of marion out

positives

1) hill in
2) TT in, then jetissoned for banks
3) KT in(not for long)
4) GG in(not next year though)
5) skinner in(hmmm +/-)
6) shaq in(is that a plus:like his presence against TD, or minus(20 mil times 2, cant defend the pick and R)
7) reasonable contract for LB

Sarverkerr (new schitzoid manager employee) has had alot of screwups and a few successes. What coach worth his a__ would want to work for this dumb cheapa__?

Last edited:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever met Sarver? Or had business dealings with him? Just curious, since everyone seems to have an opinion on his personality and demeanor. :shrug:

Yes I have met/dealt with him on more than a few occasions as a season ticket holder. He is smug and arrogant and acts as if it is a priviledge that we are attending the games. This is the 100% opposite of Jerry Colangelo who was a gregarious owner that always took the time to talk and socialize with the fan base. While guys like J.C. are no longer the norm in this billion dollar industry, his involvement with the community and fan base helped weave the Suns franchise into the framework of the community.

Sarver is doing a good job of destroying that positive image that Suns have built-up over the decades, and while much of this can be attributed to the modernization of professional sports he certainly doesn't help his cause with his personality/shrewdness.

While I rip on guys like Mark Cuban, I can at least admire his willingness and desire to win at all costs. Granted Cuban has more in his coffers to draw from, he too could fall back on the company line of staying fiscally responsible if he wanted to turn a profit.

Barring a miracle comeback or ridiculously one-sided trade that rids us of our bad contracts, I don't see good times ahead for Mr. Foamie. He has alienated a good portion of the Suns fan base and it will be tough to draw them back with outrageous ticket prices and a medoicre product. My guess is that Sarver will sell the franchise when the payroll gets paired down in 2010-2011 and make a sizeable profit.

While I can't necessarily blame Sarver for being all about the bottom line (he's just being a savy businessman), it becomes tougher to swallow because we have been on the doorsteps of a championship and have been taking baby steps backwards to save a dollar. I like many Phoenicians bleed with only one team and that team is the Suns. I just want one friggen trophy and then I will shutup. I won't be satisified until that happens.

In the end I'm expecting raised ticket prices, an inferior product, and pay-per-view games...that is what the Sarver-run Suns seem to stand for.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I have met/dealt with him on more than a few occasions as a season ticket holder. He is smug and arrogant and acts as if it is a priviledge that we are attending the games. This is the 100% opposite of Jerry Colangelo who was a gregarious owner that always took the time to talk and socialize with the fan base. While guys like J.C. are no longer the norm in this billion dollar industry, his involvement with the community and fan base helped weave the Suns franchise into the framework of the community.

Sarver is doing a good job of destroying that positive image that Suns have built-up over the decades, and while much of this can be attributed to the modernization of professional sports he certainly doesn't help his cause with his personality/shrewdness.

While I rip on guys like Mark Cuban, I can at least admire his willingness and desire to win at all costs. Granted Cuban has more in his coffers to draw from, he too could fall back on the company line of staying fiscally responsible if he wanted to turn a profit.

Barring a miracle comeback or ridiculously one-sided trade that rids us of our bad contracts, I don't see good times ahead for Mr. Foamie. He has alienated a good portion of the Suns fan base and it will be tough to draw them back with outrageous ticket prices and a medoicre product. My guess is that Sarver will sell the franchise when the payroll gets paired down in 2010-2011 and make a sizeable profit.

While I can't necessarily blame Sarver for being all about the bottom line (he's just being a savy businessman), it becomes tougher to swallow because we have been on the doorsteps of a championship and have been taking baby steps backwards to save a dollar. I like many Phoenicians bleed with only one team and that team is the Suns. I just want one friggen trophy and then I will shutup. I won't be satisified until that happens.

In the end I'm expecting raised ticket prices, an inferior product, and pay-per-view games...that is what the Sarver-run Suns seem to stand for.

Sadly, you are dead on accurate. Great post.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
That picture is cute. It is nice that he and the girl next to him could color coordinate their blouses together.

I bet he spent the money he saved on Johnson to buy the boobs for her as well.

:p

NDNACE

Rookie
Reaction score
Buck Harvey: Sins of the Suns: One for the Books

Web Posted: 04/28/2008 11:10 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs didn't lose Sunday to make Peter Holt some money.

It only looks that way. It only looks like the Spurs play every budgetary angle — with trades, with Tim Duncan taking less money, with Spurs execs obsessing over payroll flexibility.

So when the Spurs didn't close out the Suns, guaranteeing an additional home gate tonight for Holt, worth about $1.5 million, it only looks intentional.

But Robert Sarver, the Suns' owner, has to wonder.

The Spurs didn't sweep the Suns on the court, but they have in the front office. If the Spurs go on to lose this series, they will still have their three stars in their primes. They also will be obligated to only $53 million in payroll next season.

If the Suns lose? Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal are an aging part of an expensive core. The Suns are scheduled to pay six players about $68 million next year. Adding anyone of value will cost Sarver money he doesn't want to spend.

There was a time Sarver looked like someone who wouldn't mind. He paid a record price for the Suns, then waved a purple foam finger from courtside.

In his rookie season, in 2005, he also looked like Mark Cuban's better-dressed twin. When Gregg Popovich held out Duncan and Manu Ginobili in a regular-season game in Phoenix, Sarver made a series of chicken-flapping gestures at Popovich.

David Stern wasn't happy, and Sarver later apologized to Popovich. “I have to learn that during the heat of the game, you have to control your emotions,” Sarver said later. “Like with any business, there is a learning curve.”

Sarver has quieted down. He doesn't want to be Cuban on the court, and he doesn't want to spend like him off of it, either.

“I'm not as rich as most of the owners,” Sarver has said in the past, “so I really have to make sure the basketball team is successful.”

Holt is somewhere near the bottom of NBA richdom. His finances sometimes influence the Spurs' personnel moves (see Scola, Luis).

According to Forbes, Sarver ranks among the middle class of NBA owners. But even the wealthy would prefer not to burn money, and Sarver has demanded his franchise stay below the salary cap.

It's getting there that has been confusing. Sometimes the Suns hold the line, as they did a few years ago with Joe Johnson. Then, Sarver hesitated to pay Johnson's price, yet the Suns came out of it with some value.

Still, while the Suns didn't pay Johnson, they over-paid both Boris Diaw and Marcus Banks. Those economic airballs forced another move last summer, because Sarver wanted to dump salary to get below the cap. Kurt Thomas' $8 million contract was the logical target.

Sam Presti took advantage of Sarver then. The Sonics took Thomas, as well as two first-round picks for the trouble.

Those in the Spurs' offices say Holt has never impacted them like this. Then again, those in the Spurs' offices haven't made many mistakes.

This was a big one for the Suns. Without Thomas, their best low-post defender, the Suns saw they were heading toward playoff doom. That created last winter's gamble, as well as Sarver's new economic headache. Shaq will earn $20 million in each of the next two seasons.

Shaq also will be 37 next season. What's the chance over the next two seasons he slows down even more, along with Nash, and what's the chance the Suns crash?

Here's where Sarver begins to look more like Bill Bidwill than Cuban to those in Arizona: One of the draft picks he gave to Seattle, Phoenix's own in 2010, is unprotected.

This gets back to Sarver's learning curve. Isn't he still on it?

So tonight means a lot to Sarver. Lose, and he's stuck with an old, capped-out team that went out again in the first round. Lose, and he's forced to make a decision on Mike D'Antoni. Firing D'Antoni would cost the $8 million left on his contract.

But win?

Then Sarver would be guaranteed an additional home gate, and he'd get another $1.5 million, and he'd be like Holt.

At least it would look that way.

[email protected]

Last edited: