7.Grant Hill
8.Boris Diaw
9.Robin Lopez
10.Goran Dragic
11.Alando Tucker
12.Sean Singletary
13.Luis Amdunson

by Paul Coro - Oct. 23, 2008 12:36 PM
The Arizona Republic When the Suns recruited Matt Barnes as a free agent in July, they talked to him about the possibility of starting - and Barnes received a recruiting call from Phoenix's resident starting small forward, Grant Hill.
It wasn't about the starting role for Barnes, but the pitch was enough for him to know he would get significant minutes. He got all of that today with Suns coach Terry Porter naming Barnes as the starting small forward in a move designed to manage Hill's minutes and help the young reserves.
"Grant brings a lot to that second unit with a lot of stability as a veteran with possibly two rookies on that second unit," said Porter, who will start Steve Nash, Raja Bell, Barnes, Amaré Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal for the first time in tonight's preseason finale. "He can relieve some of the pressure that Goran (Dragic) may get at times and I like Grant to have the ball in his hands. That's one of his strong points - to make decisions and make plays." The Suns' brass wanted to reduce Hill's playing time to about 25 minutes per game, down from 31.7 last season. If Hill had started, the gaps he sat out would have been longer. On the flip side, Hill now has to get accustomed to a new warm-up routine and entering the game well after tip-off. Hill has come off the bench eight times in a 705-game career.
"I don't mind it at all," Hill said. "One of the things we talked about at training camp was our depth can be a weapon for us. You look at the Lakers and their second unit did wonders for them coming in a lot of times to extend the lead and provide a spark. We're going to need that.
"Hopefully, we can wear you out as a team and continue to hit you with talent and guys who can make plays."
Hill aims to be a game-changer like Leandro Barbosa or Manu Ginobili off the bench.
"I think it preserves Manu with the way he plays and he's usually at his best when it matters," Hill said.
Porter said he likes Barnes' ability to spread the floor offensively with his shooting range on the first unit while keeping a solid wing defender at the position.
"It didn't really matter to us," Barnes said. "We're probably going to both play about the same amount of time.
"Once my shots start falling, I can help stretch the floor. I can help Raja out there because this league is full of two and threes who are scorers. I'll just bring a lot of energy."
Barnes has started 64 times in 286 career games but 41 of those came in the past two seasons with Golden State. The Warriors were 12-6 in games Barnes started last season.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/10/23/20081023spt-barnes.html

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad we have Hill coming off the bench.

With Leandro, Hill, and Diaw, we have a formidable trio off of the bench.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn't matter to me if Hill was coming off the bench or starting as long as they reduced his minutes. I am happy with the starting 5.

This also the last season that I think Raja is in the starting 5 IMO. Wouldn't be totally shocked to see a move there as well by season's end.

Man...I am pumped up for this season but if things don't go well, this roster might be unrecognizable next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing LB and Hill off the bench will give the Suns some firepower and also some extra ball handling skills to take some of the burden off the rookie, Dragic.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So who wants to guess as to how long this starting lineup will last, barring any injuries?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who wants to guess as to how long this starting lineup will last, barring any injuries?

Until Barnes hits a cold spell shooting. :)

Then we'll see Hill starting.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
man, I have a sinking feeling we're just gonna be a trainwreck from the opening tap, probably getting a little better as the season goes on, but ending up as a 7 or 8 seed. Between age, injuries just waiting to happen, depending on rooks for important positions and a coach who I according to his words and what we've seen so far in the preseason has shifted the offense a little too far from what it was, it's just a molotov cocktail waiting to explode.

I know you're all surprised by the above. :)

that being said, I CAN'T WAIT to see what happens. I think we're the most intriguing team in the league going into the season because of the changes/pick ups.

Wonder

Registered
Reaction score
Phoenix has too much talent to come in 8th/7th seed. I don't care what you say they have Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, SHAQ, Grant Hill, Barbosa, Bell, Diaw, some good rooks and a fresh coach that wants to prove something along with the team.

-Shaq now has no excuses as far as chemistry is concerned.
-Amare is getting better
-Nash is Nash and it doesn't look like things are changing with him.
-Just don't get injured Hill.
-I think we can all say this team will be a lot tougher by adding Shaq and barnes in the offseason. Espescially now that Dantoni is gone.
- The rookies look impressive, better than a lot of other rooks that'll be making a roster spot on other teams. Dragic and Lopez have good potential.
-We'll still have a big crowd at every home game, the desire to win a title from the players is nowhere near lost.
-Everyone is saying 2nd seed in our divsion, and 6th-8th seed in the west, that's something to take a look at, because no one can say they'd be shocked if the Suns won the divsion, no one can say that, not a true NBA fan who watches the NBA.

There is nothing bad coming into this season. Look through the past or hope for a bright future.

Last edited:

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
Awesome lineup!! I am really pumped for this season to begin, much more so than in the past. I bet you will see Hill become a 6th player canidate.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I say let the "experts" leg hump the Lakers from now until February. I'll love flying under the radar all season long and bite someone in the ass while they aren't looking.

GO SUNS!!!

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Phoenix has too much talent to come in 8th/7th seed. I don't care what you say they have Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, SHAQ, Grant Hill, Barbosa, Bell, Diaw, some good rooks and a fresh coach that wants to prove something along with the team.

-Amare is getting better
-I think we can all say this team will be a lot tougher by adding Shaq and barnes in the offseason. Espescially now that Dantoni is gone.
- The rookies look impressive, better than a lot of other rooks that'll be making a roster spot on other teams. Dragic and Lopez have good potential.
-We'll still have a big crowd at every home game, the desire to win a title from the players is nowhere near lost.
-Everyone is saying 2nd seed in our divsion, and 6th-8th seed in the west, that's something to take a look at, because no one can say they'd be shocked if the Suns won the divsion, no one can say that, not a true NBA fan who watches the NBA.

There is nothing bad coming into this season. Look through the past or hope for a bright future.

since when did we acquire shaq in the off-season?

Also, in the annual Gm survey, every single gm in the league picked the lakers to win the division. to put that in perspective, the pacific division (ours) was the only one to be picked the same by every gm. apparently plenty of people would be shocked to see the suns win the division. the lakers are the better team, they should take the division

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
since when did we acquire shaq in the off-season?

Also, in the annual Gm survey, every single gm in the league picked the lakers to win the division. to put that in perspective, the pacific division (ours) was the only one to be picked the same by every gm. apparently plenty of people would be shocked to see the suns win the division. the lakers are the better team, they should take the division

In essence we added Shaq in the offseason. He came in after the midpoint of the year and was injured and out of shape. He spent about a month orienting himself to a team scheme that fit him like OJ's gloves.

Now he gets a camp and a preseason with a team that is designed to use his skills.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In essence we added Shaq in the offseason. He came in after the midpoint of the year and was injured and out of shape. He spent about a month orienting himself to a team scheme that fit him like OJ's gloves.

Now he gets a camp and a preseason with a team that is designed to use his skills.

You sure put a lot of spin on that curveball. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

so then, I guess the Lakers added Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum in the off-season. I'd take that duo over ours any day of the week.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Shaq has missed at least 20 games per year for the last 4 years and is only getting older and less effective.
-Amare is getting better

Offensively, completely agree. Defensively it remains to be seen.

it looked like things were changing for him the second half of the season. Age again starts to take it's toll. He may be Nash, but he's not MVSteve anymore.

this is like saying take a full packet of miralax and eat ten prunes before you go to sleep and try not taking a dump in the morning. no matter what, it's gonna happen.

probably but will they be tough enough to deal with the offense being measurably less as Porter wants it to be? Only time will tell.

- The rookies look impressive, better than a lot of other rooks that'll be making a roster spot on other teams.

I just don't see any basis in fact to say this. pre-season is pre-season. Sean Marks looked impressive in pre-season last year.

Dragic and Lopez have good potential.

every fan of every team can say the same thing.

every team in the west will have the same thing.

you say everyone is saying 6th-8th seed and that we'll be number 2 in the division. Well, everyone's also saying the Lakers will win the title. For a projected 6-8 seed to end up better than the odds on favorite to win the whole thing wouldn't be shocking? Okay.

i don't even know what to do with this comment. is there some good and some hope going into the year? yeah. Amare's a beast, hopefully Porter can find a good balance to make the o/d work, but with our age and propensity for injury to say there's "nothing bad coming into the season" just makes very little sense to me.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Tonight was the first time the full team has been on the floor for any length of time: 50.7% shooting and 44.4% for three and held the Thunder to 11 assists.

I heard a bit of the game and the Suns did a good job with their bench. But there is no doubt they are still a bit scratchy.

Last edited:

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
This also the last season that I think Raja is in the starting 5 IMO. Wouldn't be totally shocked to see a move there as well by season's end.
I think Raja's value under Terry Porter's system is increased because of his defensive ability. I think he'll be encouraged to focus more on defense and whatever he contributes offensively will be gravy.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had hoped & lobbied for this starting 5 the day Barnes was signed. It makes sense.
Also, if the SUNS come out of the gate struggling mightily on offense(which i think they will) i still think that the change will be to leave Barnes in.... & replace Raja with Barbosa at the 2. Yeah ya'll think thats crazy i know.....:eek:
GO SUNS! It's time to dictate tempo & gain an identity with the defense instead of being that team that's just fun to watch & can score w/anybody.....anybody that doesn't play defense that is;)
Like CHEESE said...It'll definately be an interesting season.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Porter has tried mightily to develop the half court offense to the point of slowing the team down. Once the season starts, I expect the offense will step up because they are still a team (other than Shaq) built to run.

Last night was an interesting example of the "revised" Porter style. They never ran out to big lead, but held on in the fourth quarter with mostly backups. There wasn't the "shoot themselves out the game" of the pas and the Suns did not give open looks for three.

So far the Suns have been competative in every game they've played. It will be interesting to see what they do if they fall well behind and Porter relents to a flat out D'Antoni style offense for a while.

HooverDam

Reaction score
man, I have a sinking feeling we're just gonna be a trainwreck from the opening tap, probably getting a little better as the season goes on, but ending up as a 7 or 8 seed. Between age, injuries just waiting to happen, depending on rooks for important positions and a coach who I according to his words and what we've seen so far in the preseason has shifted the offense a little too far from what it was, it's just a molotov cocktail waiting to explode.

I know you're all surprised by the above. :)

that being said, I CAN'T WAIT to see what happens. I think we're the most intriguing team in the league going into the season because of the changes/pick ups.

Ditto, I think the Suns are going to take another step backwards this year, but it should be interesting.

Phoenix has too much talent to come in 8th/7th seed. I don't care what you say

Um, they came in 6th last year and this year they're older. Portland and Houston are probably improved, the Lakers should be better, the West is still very deep, I'd be quite surprised if the Suns were able to do better than a 6 seed.

I think Raja's value under Terry Porter's system is increased because of his defensive ability. I think he'll be encouraged to focus more on defense and whatever he contributes offensively will be gravy.

I think you're half right on that. Sure Porter has been preaching defense, and with 3 horrible defenders in the starting lineup (Amare, Nash, Shaq) having a defensive minded shooting guard can't hurt. However, Raja didn't seem quite as good last year, he may be starting to lose a step or two.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Well I was pretty vocal about my claim that Hill would still be in the starting 5, so I'm gonna go ahead and insert my foot into my mouth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen