Yao's BIG game against the Suns!!!!

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketnbasunsrockets&prov=afp&type=lgns

Yao silenced as Suns scorch Rockets in NBA

AFP
March 13, 2007
PHOENIX, United States (AFP) - Leandro Barbosa matched a career high with 32 points, sparking the Phoenix Suns past the Houston Rockets 103-82 in a National Basketball Association matchup here Monday.

Barbosa came off the bench to play 35 minutes and help frustrate Chinese superstar Yao Ming, who scored 120 points but made only 1-of-9 shots from the field, grabbed just eight rebounds and committed a game-high five turnovers.

Frenchman Boris Diaw added 15 points and Shawn Marion contributed 14 points and 15 rebounds for the Suns, who won their fifth game in a row and 10th in 11 games to improve to 49-14, second in the Western Conference.

The Rockets slid to 39-25, fifth in the West, with their first loss in four games since Yao returned from a broken leg that kept him sidelined for 32 games. Yao had scored 37 points in a victory Sunday over Orlando.

Tracy McGrady led Houston with 19 points but the Rockets, with the second-ranked defense in the NBA, were taken apart by the NBA's top-scoring team. The Suns average more than 110 points a start.

Barbosa made 12-of-18 shots from the floor, including 5-of-6 from beyond the 3-point arc.

Barbosa, averaging 25.8 points in his last four games, scored 17 in the first half, including a pair of 3-pointers, to give Phoenix a 52-42 edge at the break.

Rafer Alston drilled a basket from the arc with 8:52 left in the third quarter to bring Houston within 55-51.

But Marion scored five points, Amare Stoudemire added four and Barbosa ended the quarter with a 3-pointer to help widen the Suns lead to 74-66. A 21-9 Suns run to start the fourth period left no doubt.

:shock:

So, did he really make 118FTs? That's gotta be some kind of record, huh? And he was FRUSTRATED with 120 points?

:D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me he did not have 5 turnovers? Come on!!

(on my fantasy team)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess that ends the Amare Vs. Yao debate.

1/5

In all seriousness, Amare didn't have a good game either.

Does anyone know what D'Antoni said to get him tossed?

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i thought it was funny when KT blocked his shot, considering yao is 8" taller and KT didnt even leave the ground.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yao is like a lot of big men who have to pull the ball down low to get set before shooting. The only big man player who I ever saw who rarely pulled the ball down was Kevin McHale.

One of the things about Yao is that is that he gets away with a lot of contact on defense that never gets called. At times it seems like the refs want to punish anyone stupid enough to go at him. For some reason, Amare can't seem to understand that they will never calls fouls on Yao.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yao really looked bad. I can't believe that someone that big gets his shot blocked so easily. And he can't elevate 2 inches off the ground!! :bigyawn:

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yao is a very good player, but the Suns really expose his weaknesses. His conditioning is terrible, he can't jump, and he is useless in an up-tempo game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps some of us are being a little hard on Yao. I believe his 120 points in a game beats Wilt Chamberlain's record. :)

Actually I fear Mutombo more when he is active defensively.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps some of us are being a little hard on Yao. I believe his 120 points in a game beats Wilt Chamberlain's record. :)

Actually I fear Mutombo more when he is active defensively.

I fear Mutombo's Walker. I mean even at his age they shouldn't allow them on the court. :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fear Mutombo's Walker. I mean even at his age they shouldn't allow them on the court. :D

Every time I think Mutombo's career is over, there he is playing and defying the odds. I think he had at least one good game against Phoenix this year. If you give Mutombo a walker, I don't think many players would want to be on the court with him. He would be swinging his walker at people instead of wagging his finger. :eek:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Mutombo is awesome. The wagging finger is annoying, and sure, he swings his elbows, but other than that, I don't see how anyone can not have a ton of respect for him. When you think about much good he has tried to bring to underdeveloped areas, slogging through the end of his NBA career as a middle-aged man in order to help more and more communities, I consider him pretty much exempt from criticism. He is a true ambassador for humanity, not just basketball.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mutombo is awesome. The wagging finger is annoying, and sure, he swings his elbows, but other than that, I don't see how anyone can not have a ton of respect for him. When you think about much good he has tried to bring to underdeveloped areas, slogging through the end of his NBA career as a middle-aged man in order to help more and more communities, I consider him pretty much exempt from criticism. He is a true ambassador for humanity, not just basketball.

Lost in all the hubbub of the victory was that Jalen Rose presented Mutombo with a $100,000 check to go towards building a new wing to Mutombo's hospital in Africa.

I've always liked Mutombo, there really is nothing outside of the finger wagging that is unlikeable about him. I mean, any self-respecting basketball fan would still get a smile on their face when they think about Mutombo on the ground cradling the basketball and screaming after his 8th-seeded Nuggets beat 1-seed Seattle in the playoffs years ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lost in all the hubbub of the victory was that Jalen Rose presented Mutombo with a $100,000 check to go towards building a new wing to Mutombo's hospital in Africa.

I caught the video. How can anyone not like Mutombo for his humanity and the work he has done in Africa? :thumbup:

As for his finger and elbows... I haven't seen too much of that lately.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I have always liked Mutombo, he seems to never age.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
120 points on 1-9 shooting?

MAn he must be really tired of shooting free throws.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yao is a very good player, but the Suns really expose his weaknesses. His conditioning is terrible, he can't jump, and he is useless in an up-tempo game.

I was at the game and he looked incredibly slow. I almost felt sorry for the guy ... almost. :)