Yao Ming 'manufactured'

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Hey. I am Chinese and I don't find that as "evil" as you think. Let's just say things are "different" around the world.

While the North American "free" ways are nice, they are not always the best ways. I am not saying I support Communism but being "told" what to do isn't all that bad. Just like the arrange marriage thing. It's not as bad as most NA people think.

I have background both Chinese and North American ways and I tend to think the combination of both is the best choice/education for me. lol
I hope you are joking. Here is how crazy the left is, I had a debate with a liberal coworker who told me with a straight face McDonalds should be illegal but heroin should be legal and distributed by the government.

Being told what to do isn't that bad for morons who can't think for themselves. Or for the evil SOB who have all the power.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't mind being told what to do. It's just that the people most interested in telling me what to do are idiots. :eek:

Actually, the question of cultures and athletics is complicated. The Chinese are incredible at Olympic diving, have strong gymnastics teams, and dominate the world in ping pong (at internatinal level that is a very athletic activity). I'm not sure how many sports PRC promotes, but they have had some succes.

When it comes to team sports, it's harder develop competative teams without a strong social support for the sport. In basketball, Lithuania and Serbia are small countries that are obsessed with the sport. By contrast, in football (soccer), China with a billion people did not qualify for World Cup a few years ago while the Republic of Ireland with under 4 million beat Germany in made the final 8.

I doubt that Yao's playing in the NBA has changed the general Chinese culture nor built 100 million playground courts. Unlike diving or swimming, which is primarily training driven, team sports are competition driven. Unless there are enough people excited about playing, no amount of government support is going to change that.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Being told what to do isn't that bad for morons who can't think for themselves. Or for the evil SOB who have all the power.

Sounds like you're describing the current state of affairs right here in the U.S.

...and now that this thread has gotten political, I vote for it to get moved to another forum. :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the story is based on wild speculation, but I know too many Chinese immigrants who tell me to believe every rumor about the Chinese gov't to think the story is all bunk. Even if Yao somehow escaped the obsessive attention of his gov't, there's probably many like Yao who were part of a similar program.

jibikao

Reaction score
What I heard is Yao is still sending money back to the government. It's like Yao is "working" for the gov. lol

China is facing a big problem now... BANKING SYSTEM.

It's very ironic how "communism" means "everybody moves forward together", when in reality, "military/rich people move forward". It's an even extreme situation there than in North America. The disparity between the Rich and Poor is even bigger in China. At least in North America, poor people have a CHANCE to become a big whereas in China, if you are poor, you are always poor, unless you make connections with the "inside" military people.

I am just glad I was born in Taiwan and my parents sent me to Canada. :)

jibikao

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I don't mind being told what to do. It's just that the people most interested in telling me what to do are idiots. :eek:

Actually, the question of cultures and athletics is complicated. The Chinese are incredible at Olympic diving, have strong gymnastics teams, and dominate the world in ping pong (at internatinal level that is a very athletic activity). I'm not sure how many sports PRC promotes, but they have had some succes.

When it comes to team sports, it's harder develop competative teams without a strong social support for the sport. In basketball, Lithuania and Serbia are small countries that are obsessed with the sport. By contrast, in football (soccer), China with a billion people did not qualify for World Cup a few years ago while the Republic of Ireland with under 4 million beat Germany in made the final 8.

I doubt that Yao's playing in the NBA has changed the general Chinese culture nor built 100 million playground courts. Unlike diving or swimming, which is primarily training driven, team sports are competition driven. Unless there are enough people excited about playing, no amount of government support is going to change that.

I agree with you 110%!!!

Like I've said before, when I grew up in Taiwan, I didn't have time to play sports. You have so much homework that you just don't have time to play. Even if you play, you are not going to be SO GOOD any way. Just to kill time.

The emphasis on "sports" is just not so huge in Asian community. But Asian people are great at "ping pong", something I am never good at. I was actually very good at Badminton (sort of like Tennis). I guess asian people are small and quick..lol they prefer those "nimble" sports. We don't have the body size to play football and basketball. In fact, I know many asian people who don't like football. They (including me) find it very violent!

Basketball seems to be VERY VERY VERY popular in Asia right now. Baseball has always been big (because of Japanese League influence).

Being told what to do can only be good if you know what's good for you. That's all I can say. Sometimes when you feel "lost", you need guidance and good parents will always give you the support you need.

jibikao

Reaction score
fordronken said:
So, how do you guys feel about the death penalty?

Call me crazy:

I vote:

Death Penalty: YES
Abortion: YES
Gay Marriage: YES

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So if two gay men conceive a child and then abort it, they should be executed?

jibikao

Reaction score
elindholm said:

I don't know how to respond to this. lol

First of all, how can two gay men conceive a child? Adoption?

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:

"So, after the child was aborted, what was it like for you out there?"

"Well, you know. I just had to come out tonight and execute. Come out, work hard and get the job done. I came out with a lot of intensity. I picked up the intensity at the end there. You just have to execute down the stretch. That's all it is."