XP home or XP pro?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking at both and can't believe the price difference. What is the difference between the two? I run a recording studio from my computer and it works fine on win 98 with my current system. I'm upgrading soon and need to upgrade to win xp, but I can't see spending $400 on XP pro when XP home is $95. Any advice? What's the main difference between the two?

Thanks.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you are just going to use it for home use, go with the home edition. Home has better hardware and software compatability and most of the security and advanced settings are simplified. Also home has more multimedia support, etc. The only major down fall for home is, home only supports one processor

Pro is geared toward business, you can have muliprocessors and advanced security and user management, active directory plug ins....

Unless you are going to be running a home business or something I think you would be happy with Home edition

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Suddenly this feels like The Price Is Right!

You must be registered for see images

"PRO!!!!! GO WITH THE PRO!!!!! VOTE PRO!!!!! PRO!!!!! GO WITH THE PRO!!!!! VOTE PRO!!!!!"

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, XP Home cannot join a domain. If you have a computer network that includes a domain, go with Pro.

Since you are using windows 98 right now and probably have a one computer setup, Home should work fine.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Benefits of Pro over Home (XP editions)

• Domain Support
  • Advanced Networking
  • Internet Information Services (host web space)
  • Multiple Processors
  • EFS (data protection for files and folders)
  • Better Back Up and System Restore
  • Built in Remote Access
If all of these features do not matter to you, then the Home edition will work fine...

If it is a price issue you can get a new upgrade version of XP Pro for as little as $85.00... The upgrade can be installed as a complete fresh installation as long as you have a qualifying complete version to run in the compliance check. If you are not comfortable with that or believe it will not work you can also find the full version for just over $100.00 online...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort