Xbox720

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure they will have demos available and content providers will have try/buy options. My hope is they will also have 802.11ac, this will make it worth the upgrade.

As of right now I download may favorite shows and movies and just watch them from my xboxs. They still need to upgrade the web app as no flash support sucks.

Not good enough for me. Some times you get what you want from a demo, some times you have to play the full game to get the full effect. I expect their to be massive lawsuits by companies like GameStop, GameFly, and consumers about this if it happens.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is necessarily an industry with unending brand loyalty, if MS locks the system down like rumored then I think it creates a huge opportunity for Sony (though there could be an implicit form of collusion between the two, which would be awful for the consumers). Nobody would buy a car you couldn't resell, expecting customers to just put up with it is a big risk. Especially if there's a competitor where they don't have to. I understand that this has happened to a certain extent in the PC world as well, but that just underscores the point further. The PC game market has almost exclusively become a niche compared to a decade or so ago.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure they will have demos available and content providers will have try/buy options. My hope is they will also have 802.11ac, this will make it worth the upgrade.

As of right now I download may favorite shows and movies and just watch them from my xboxs. They still need to upgrade the web app as no flash support sucks.

Not good enough for me. Some times you get what you want from a demo, some times you have to play the full game to get the full effect. I expect their to be massive lawsuits by companies like GameStop, GameFly, and consumers about this if it happens.

gamefly will be dooooomed

Xbox does a great job of releasing demos - as long as they subsequently decide to release demos of every single game I dont mind.

Although, I mostly play arcade anyway. I rarely buy full games. I guess when I do, it was typically used at gamestop or I would do gamefly for a month but w.e

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I don't think this is necessarily an industry with unending brand loyalty, if MS locks the system down like rumored then I think it creates a huge opportunity for Sony (though there could be an implicit form of collusion between the two, which would be awful for the consumers). Nobody would buy a car you couldn't resell, expecting customers to just put up with it is a big risk. Especially if there's a competitor where they don't have to. I understand that this has happened to a certain extent in the PC world as well, but that just underscores the point further. The PC game market has almost exclusively become a niche compared to a decade or so ago.

Sony is planning on doing the same thing. We've got a 360 and most of our library is games that we picked up for pretty cheap used. Never been a big fan of spending nearly $70 after tax for a game when I could just wait a year and get it for around $25 or $30. Either used or on sale. So if both consoles go this route I doubt I'll get either.

The Steam Box is a lot more interesting to me, even though I could pretty much build the same thing myself. But it'd be pretty convenient to grab a $300 box and throw it in the livingroom.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im stoked and buying regardless of what new policies they employ! digital downloads reduce in price and go on sale all the time too, the sales would likely happen more if this were the case on the new box.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Steam Box is a lot more interesting to me, even though I could pretty much build the same thing myself. But it'd be pretty convenient to grab a $300 box and throw it in the livingroom.

Steam Box seems really ambitious but if they get it right it would combine the best of both pc/console worlds. Really hoping it can break through.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steam Box seems really ambitious but if they get it right it would combine the best of both pc/console worlds. Really hoping it can break through.

been hearing about a steambox for 10 years.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
been hearing about a steambox for 10 years.

Maybe they've been throwing the idea around for awhile, but it's a certainty now.

$99 for a box that can stream content + your Steam library over your home network. (This is kind of interesting. Onlive on a local scale. No bandwidth issues. But I'm guessing you need a pretty decent PC.)

$299 for a mid-range box that can play most everything at typical settings. This is probably their closest thing to a traditional console.

And it looks like they'll be targeting the performance crowd with more powerful (and more expensive) boxes as well.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sony is planning on doing the same thing. We've got a 360 and most of our library is games that we picked up for pretty cheap used. Never been a big fan of spending nearly $70 after tax for a game when I could just wait a year and get it for around $25 or $30. Either used or on sale. So if both consoles go this route I doubt I'll get either.

Yeah it's been rumored on the PS4 as well, guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The console makers make out well on this, but it is mainly the publishers. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc HATE second-hand sales. They get nothing. Console makers don't get the licensing fees either. Because of that (partly, the other part because we pay it) we get into DLC models, yearly versions of games that are no different than the previous games other than to be updated so the online crowd must update to stay online, exclusive content by retailer, etc. I especially hate "partial" games that are then filled out by DLC that "forces" you to practically buy the game two or three times over.

You really can't compare it to a physical goods market - there is no expiration date on software, other than the hardware to run it on. When you sell your car, it is to buy a new car. When you sell your copy of Skyrim, it is not to get a new copy of Skyrim. So the publishers have to make hay on initial sales. Supplying all of your college budies with one copy of a game is not in their best interests. I don't like it, but I understand it.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
The console makers make out well on this, but it is mainly the publishers. EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc HATE second-hand sales. They get nothing. Console makers don't get the licensing fees either. Because of that (partly, the other part because we pay it) we get into DLC models, yearly versions of games that are no different than the previous games other than to be updated so the online crowd must update to stay online, exclusive content by retailer, etc. I especially hate "partial" games that are then filled out by DLC that "forces" you to practically buy the game two or three times over.

You really can't compare it to a physical goods market - there is no expiration date on software, other than the hardware to run it on. When you sell your car, it is to buy a new car. When you sell your copy of Skyrim, it is not to get a new copy of Skyrim. So the publishers have to make hay on initial sales. Supplying all of your college budies with one copy of a game is not in their best interests. I don't like it, but I understand it.

I understand it too. And I'm sure plenty of people do. But it's not a move that is going to go over well with the general public.

If they go this route they better go the route of Steam and have a ton of sales & discounts.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand that the game makers are unhappy. Suck it. How about not charging $50 for a copy of Madden 13 right before the next one comes out. If you want something rather than nothing, stop trying to charge us full price for a game that has been out a year.

Steam box interests me. A box that can play most games that steam has to offer on my big screen would definitely pique my curiosity.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
They control the media being played by their device. Microsoft is not in the business of keeping Gamestop, Babbage's or Gamefly in business.

HOWEVER......

They are in the business of keeping as many options as possible open to the users of this media content delivery device.

It seems counter intuitive to limit the uses of the device to the consumer. If I have no internet, but want to buy your games and play on your platform, why would Microsoft refuse to allow that person to get one? It is almost like they are saying..... "You can either stay on our old device or go get a playstation."

Because it seems to inherently reduce the amount of people who can actually use the system, become an early adopter, limit market share increases, reduce the amount of ways I can increase my hours of use, and most importantly, piss off a massive and rabidly loyal customer base, I call ass on this rumor.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Microsoft will absolutely OWN this, don't worry. You'll have demo rights, Gamefly will likely have a code you enter, etc.

Resale will be iffy, but in the end, Microsoft will absolutely own this. They are poised to completely own the living room experience, that is their goal. It has been since the Xbox 360 launched, and this will ramp that up to even higher levels. Windows 8 is uber-connected, and when Xbox is tapped in completely, it's done.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Microsoft will absolutely OWN this, don't worry. You'll have demo rights, Gamefly will likely have a code you enter, etc.

Resale will be iffy, but in the end, Microsoft will absolutely own this. They are poised to completely own the living room experience, that is their goal. It has been since the Xbox 360 launched, and this will ramp that up to even higher levels. Windows 8 is uber-connected, and when Xbox is tapped in completely, it's done.

Zune

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps the industry sees it that way, but I believe that they are making a mistake if they do. If somebody sells their Ford, they don't necessarily buy another Ford. Likewise, used game sales have a high recycle rate, so when somebody sells their games to Gamestop or whoever, that money generally goes to buy more games. If they completely lock that down, customers will change accordingly. They'll only buy a very small number of games and play the hell out of them. Sure the couple of Halos and CODs of the industry will still pile in the sales but nobody else will. Too few will be willing to take a risk on anything new.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the industry sees it that way, but I believe that they are making a mistake if they do. If somebody sells their Ford, they don't necessarily buy another Ford. Likewise, used game sales have a high recycle rate, so when somebody sells their games to Gamestop or whoever, that money generally goes to buy more games. If they completely lock that down, customers will change accordingly. They'll only buy a very small number of games and play the hell out of them. Sure the couple of Halos and CODs of the industry will still pile in the sales but nobody else will. Too few will be willing to take a risk on anything new.

Exactly.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most game sales will move to streamed to consoles anyway. Disc games is a dying market.

Streamed and digitally stored. Just like the future of movies.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most game sales will move to streamed to consoles anyway. Disc games is a dying market.

Streamed and digitally stored. Just like the future of movies.

im for it but they need to stop having the game be 50 bucks a year after it dropped.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Any news on specs or what makes the new system different/better?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im for it but they need to stop having the game be 50 bucks a year after it dropped.

Oh, absolutely. They will feel that out though, and pricing will be appropriate based on economics. There's no reason for them to drop the price if people are paying 50 bucks a year later at a rate that projects better than a volume increase at a discounted price.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

did some googling this weekend, just rumors and speculation so far. One rumor is kinect will ship with every xbox so every game can use voice commands and such knowing that its worth the time because everyone has it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
did some googling this weekend, just rumors and speculation so far. One rumor is kinect will ship with every xbox so every game can use voice commands and such knowing that its worth the time because everyone has it.

Interesting...forking down 300-400 for another system will be a tough sell I'd imagine. Not sure how radical the improvements will be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard