Xbox720

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Just read an article about the Xbox720 and the rumored improvements/developments for its Fall 2013 release.

Besides the obvious processing improvements and Kinect upgrades there is supposed to be a Blu Ray player.

But the thing that caught my eye was the talk of eliminating the use of used games by requiring a key code that cane be used one time. I don't buy used games but it would interesting to see how it would impact Game Stop or even rental services.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read an article about the Xbox720 and the rumored improvements/developments for its Fall 2013 release.

Besides the obvious processing improvements and Kinect upgrades there is supposed to be a Blu Ray player.

But the thing that caught my eye was the talk of eliminating the use of used games by requiring a key code that cane be used one time. I don't buy used games but it would interesting to see how it would impact Game Stop or even rental services.

Gamestop will sue and will probably win if it happens.

I'm surprised that there won't be much of a difference in specs between the Wii-U or whatever you want to call it and the 720 will be pretty comparable ~20% better for the 720.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So when you get the RROD, your entire library is garbage? I can't see that flying; jmho.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The rumor website I read said it was unnamed sources and wouldnt even report on it.

The key code thing is in effect on some games, mostly EA sports and is for online use. I dont like it but i understand it.

As far as microsoft taking a stand, I dont see it. They only make 5% of the games played on their platform and it wouldnt make sense financially to fight that battle.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when you get the RROD, your entire library is garbage? I can't see that flying; jmho.

I would assume you would still be allowed the 1 per year xfers that microsoft already does because of these issues. When I finally got RROD 5 years after buying my launch console I was able to port all of my arcade games to my new console. \

I would think blue ray will be a no brainer for future consoles.

I love xbox 360 and even more so xbox live, I hope they dont change much but just improve in the future.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I remember listening to an online interview with some dude at Microsoft(one of the top guys at xbox 360) about this. He stated the current Xbox 360 would not be "upgraded" or even need to until 2015. He was very direct and specific about this as it was a discussion about all the new releases for gaming systems coming out every few years. I was sort of happy to hear that but then thought that the xbox would really suck given all the advancements with graphics, memory, processors, etc come 2014-2015. Heck maybe even by next year 2013. So i am actually happy to hear this even thought it is more money out of my pocket.

I was just talking to my older sister who has a PS3 and was showing her a bunch of the new xbox features. I was telling her that I thought pretty soon I may not even need my Directv any longer as Xbox, already, almost offers everything I need. Xbox live is really great and worth every penny.

I don't think, however, that they would be dumb enough to try to limit and shut the door on used games. That part will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember listening to an online interview with some dude at Microsoft(one of the top guys at xbox 360) about this. He stated the current Xbox 360 would not be "upgraded" or even need to until 2015. He was very direct and specific about this as it was a discussion about all the new releases for gaming systems coming out every few years. I was sort of happy to hear that but then thought that the xbox would really suck given all the advancements with graphics, memory, processors, etc come 2014-2015. Heck maybe even by next year 2013. So i am actually happy to hear this even thought it is more money out of my pocket.

I was just talking to my older sister who has a PS3 and was showing her a bunch of the new xbox features. I was telling her that I thought pretty soon I may not even need my Directv any longer as Xbox, already, almost offers everything I need. Xbox live is really great and worth every penny.

I don't think, however, that they would be dumb enough to try to limit and shut the door on used games. That part will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

I got rid of cable months ago because of live and roku players doing netflix and hulu. All i miss is cable live games, beyond that I havent noticed missing cable. The used games thing wont happen, ill bet on that.

Personally I am fine with 360, graphics and all but still stoked for a new one. Love xbox live, love everything.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could combine my xBox and my Apple TV. That would be heaven.

kps0001

Reaction score
I wish I could combine my xBox and my Apple TV. That would be heaven.

I wonder why Apple hasn't really ventured into the console gaming arena. I am not an apple guy but would be interested to see what they came up with. Maybe the market is already saturated enough? I would think they could steal a pretty big market share with all the die hard Apple customers out there.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Apple hasn't really ventured into the console gaming arena. I am not an apple guy but would be interested to see what they came up with. Maybe the market is already saturated enough? I would think they could steal a pretty big market share with all the die hard Apple customers out there.

they would likely be on ps3 only making the financial opportunities much less. I dont see microsoft pushing apple.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because until recently it was a huge money loser. I think time and the ability to maintain one platform has turned the xBox into a winner, but up until, say, 2010, I read MS was losing about $200 per box sold just to gain market share. Better said, I think MS recognized Live -- software, engagement -- was where the money was made, not the hardware. Kudos to them for figuring that out.

I think Apple had the foresight to recognize the emergence of the TV as probably the final digital platform, which is why they've been working on combining the Mac Mini with an ultra high-res TV, but they totally failed to see the relationship between gaming and the video-on-demand market. Maybe the Mac Mini TV, or iTV as it will probably be called, will change some of that, but Apple OS has never been much of a gaming format.

That MS got into it had less to do with real vision (which I think Sony always had and Nintendo before it) and more of a pure element of greed -- they really did not understand the market at first -- but I confess they are just better at it now than anyone else. I love my Xbox. I've owned both a Wii and a Playstation in the past 18 mos., and could find no real emotional connection to either.

kps0001

Reaction score
Because until recently it was a huge money loser. I think time and the ability to maintain one platform has turned the xBox into a winner, but up until, say, 2010, I read MS was losing about $200 per box sold just to gain market share. Better said, I think MS recognized Live -- software, engagement -- was where the money was made, not the hardware. Kudos to them for figuring that out.

I think Apple had the foresight to recognize the emergence of the TV as probably the final digital platform, which is why they've been working on combining the Mac Mini with an ultra high-res TV, but they totally failed to see the relationship between gaming and the video-on-demand market. Maybe the Mac Mini TV, or iTV as it will probably be called, will change some of that, but Apple OS has never been much of a gaming format.

That MS got into it had less to do with real vision (which I think Sony always had and Nintendo before it) and more of a pure element of greed -- they really did not understand the market at first -- but I confess they are just better at it now than anyone else. I love my Xbox. I've owned both a Wii and a Playstation in the past 18 mos., and could find no real emotional connection to either.

Good points Matt. I actually laughed hysterically when Microsoft got into it. I wish the wife would let me trade in the wii and all the games for another xbox. Between my son-it's actually his system, and now my daughter it is tough to get gaming in. The wii just collects dust. She is smart though because new xbox=new tv I would need for the loft to hook it up to. :D

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apple's spin is that they already have their "console" with the iphone/ipad. The rest of us see a big difference between those little swipe games and the blockbusters, but from Apple's point of view it's a perfect business model. Why bother spending millions and millions on creating your own stuff when you can let desperate developers do all the work and then take a big chunk out of all those 99 cent Angry Birds downloads?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gamestop will sue and will probably win if it happens.

I don't agree they would win at all. This has been in place for a long time outside of console software. In fact in some respects it's even more strict outside of consoles. At work, when we purchase a license for a piece of software, as soon as the hardware changes in configuration (hardware changes or expansions are made), we must acquire a new license or rights to the usage of the software or it can be revoked. The reason being is that some software has licenses per CPU for example. If we turn over that same machine over to a vendor or sell the hardware, those software rights are NON-transferable even though we own the software and that software was tied to that piece of hardware. Again, we must pay a license transfer fee to put it on another one of our own machines. This has been a pretty common practice with Enterprise software licenses.

If you look at what the law has allowed up to this point with software rights, they have pretty much allows software companies to do what they want as long as the user agrees to terms of usage.

I don't think there is a damn thing that Gamestop can do about it. What they need to do is evolve their business model so they can become that middle man for purchasing an additional license key as part of their used game model. This is going to be a sink or swim, game changing shift in the industry if this happens. Gamestop will either evolve or die.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New next-gen Xbox details emerge, reinforcing reports that used games will be unplayable

http://news.yahoo.com/next-gen-xbox-details-emerge-reinforcing-reports-used-164504269.html

The latest report comes from Edge, which cites multiple unnamed people with “first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console” in claiming that the new Xbox will require an always-on internet connection to check disc registration in order to function. The report reinforces earlier rumors that Microsoft will restrict or even completely block owners’ ability to play used games.

The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray discs and new Kinect

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the...hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bummer for gamestop but this is how pc gam,es have been for years, no big deal.

I guess it kills gamefly too.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
What if you dont have an online connection to your xbox and you just want to play the games? Microsoft is going to force you to go wireless to play games that might not even have online gameplay.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if you dont have an online connection to your xbox and you just want to play the games? Microsoft is going to force you to go wireless to play games that might not even have online gameplay.

I guess they are banking on the idea that most households have wifi and that most people who have xbox also play xbox live.

Do you not have wifi in your house?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New next-gen Xbox details emerge, reinforcing reports that used games will be unplayable

http://news.yahoo.com/next-gen-xbox-details-emerge-reinforcing-reports-used-164504269.html

The latest report comes from Edge, which cites multiple unnamed people with “first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console” in claiming that the new Xbox will require an always-on internet connection to check disc registration in order to function. The report reinforces earlier rumors that Microsoft will restrict or even completely block owners’ ability to play used games.

The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray discs and new Kinect

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the...hand-games-50gb-blu-ray-discs-and-new-kinect/

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

And that folks might the the way that they keep me from buying a 720. I won't be paying $60 bucks to try a game that I don't like anymore or beat in 2 days. This decision makes the games worthless once they have been played on your Xbox. Stupid, stupid decision.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
And that folks might the the way that they keep me from buying a 720. I won't be paying $60 bucks to try a game that I don't like anymore or beat in 2 days. This decision makes the games worthless once they have been played on your Xbox. Stupid, stupid decision.

I am sure they will have demos available and content providers will have try/buy options. My hope is they will also have 802.11ac, this will make it worth the upgrade.

As of right now I download may favorite shows and movies and just watch them from my xboxs. They still need to upgrade the web app as no flash support sucks.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a disastrous decision, one that would lead to a mass exodus to their competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard