xbox 360 question

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey guys my xbox 360 just busted got the 3 red light of death :( ugh, but I was wondering does anyone know where I can rent a xbox 360 system for like a few weeks or something till I get mine fixed? Thanks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There aren't many places you can do that anymore. You might have to borrow one from a friend.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Video stores (hollywood, blockbuster, etc.) used to rent systems.

I'm not sure anymore.

They don't. People used to rent them, but a credit card down for a deposit, and then cancel their credit cards. Not much they can do about it either.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Go to Frys, buy and X-Box, keep it for a week or so, then return it. Tell them it works intermittently and randomly shuts down, that way when they test it they won't just tell you it works. Fry's employees are trained to just speed you along so they won't hassle you on the return. That's the only way I know to get an XBox temporarily.

If you're interested though, I bought a 360 Pro last week at the Frys at 21st Ave and Thunderbird. The ones they have are the new 3rd edition "Jasper" chip sets that are supposedly no longer prone to the Red Ring of Death. I know buying a new system probably isn't what you are looking for, but if it crosses your mind, that might be helpful.

Here is an article on how to Identify the Jasper chip set 360's without opening the box. That's what I used to find mine.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3472Click me!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Cant he return the old one in the box of the one he just bought?

Or is that too underhanded and sneaky?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Cant he return the old one in the box of the one he just bought?

Or is that too underhanded and sneaky?

Nope.

The XBox 360's have a little window in the upper corner of the box that shows the part of the console with the serial number. They scan that when they sell it, they must have had that problem before.

OP
OP
mjb21aztd

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah i'm going to buy a new, sucks because the one I have now and the warranty just expired :( so it would cost 100 dollars to get fixed which is a ripoff imo. I'm just using the towel trick to get my 360 to work until I get a new one which will be in a few days.... sucks using the towel trick but atlesat it will work for a few days lol. Thanks for the replys by the way

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
They extended the RROD warranty to 3 years.

Check on XBOX.com. For that issue you should be able to send it in and get a replacement. I had to send mine in last month.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Just got the red ring of death on my Xbox but when returned this morning and tried turning on my system, it worked. Should I send it in to get repaired or wait until the red ring shows up again?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got the red ring of death on my Xbox but when returned this morning and tried turning on my system, it worked. Should I send it in to get repaired or wait until the red ring shows up again?

Yes. It will return. It's only a matter of time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. It will return. It's only a matter of time.

I got the red ring on mine when I got my second 360, literally the day after. I was using my existing power brick instead of the one that came in the new box. They are all created alike right? Not so fast. So it is conceivable that it is the power brick, and not the 360s that are causing the RROD issues.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the red ring on mine when I got my second 360, literally the day after. I was using my existing power brick instead of the one that came in the new box. They are all created alike right? Not so fast. So it is conceivable that it is the power brick, and not the 360s that are causing the RROD issues.

You can easily tell. There is a specific code that comes up when it's related to the power brick. Though that could be the problem, I seriously doubt it sense the #'s show that very few of the RROD problems occur due to Power Bricks.

He should really check the code to see what the failure reason is.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I just got 2 of the red lights on my xbox yesterday. From what I've read, 2 lights means it overheating. Anyone else have this problem? I've put it in a cooler, more open space. I'm going to check to see if it works when I get home later today.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep. I got the two red rings and the very next day I got the Three rings. Good luck. Also try vacuuming the vent holes so you have a good air flow.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got 2 of the red lights on my xbox yesterday. From what I've read, 2 lights means it overheating. Anyone else have this problem? I've put it in a cooler, more open space. I'm going to check to see if it works when I get home later today.

It won't go away. Maybe temporarily. I have one Jasper system which has had zero problems and one launch 360 that finally went. XBOX extended the warranty for the red rings of death. I sent mine in and got it back within 5 business days. Just send it in.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
It won't go away. Maybe temporarily. I have one Jasper system which has had zero problems and one launch 360 that finally went. XBOX extended the warranty for the red rings of death. I sent mine in and got it back within 5 business days. Just send it in.

From what I understand, the warrenty was extended for units that have 3 of the red lights. Mine only has 2 which is only covered for the first year. Too late for me. I've decided to fix it myself anyway and have pulled it apart already. Apparently there are 2 causes of the 2 red lights. One, too much dust has collected inside the console. Two, the heating and cooling of the unit has caused the x clamp to loosen and the heatsink is no longer held against the GPU and CPU. I've opened it up enough to see there was some dust but not enough to stop it from working. So it's probably the x clamps. I just need to get in there and tighten them up.

I'm not finished yet as I need a special screw driver for the next part but I should have it tomorrow. Here's how it looks so far:
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I got my xBox 360 in December of 07 and have never had ONE issue.

Your PS3 is junk IMO.

Wow, did he hit a nerve or something? To call the PS3 junk compared the the 360 is just stupid. You'll most likely eventually have a problem like everyone else. I've owned both, and finally sold the 360 after sending it in for a second time.

The PS3 is rock solid. Sold it though since I wanted some extra money for a laptop for work, and I'm more of a PC gamer. Wish I didn't because I got a pretty good deal on a Dell, so I'll probably re-buy one once a new bundle is announced.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, did he hit a nerve or something? To call the PS3 junk compared the the 360 is just stupid. You'll most likely eventually have a problem like everyone else. I've owned both, and finally sold the 360 after sending it in for a second time.

The PS3 is rock solid. Sold it though since I wanted some extra money for a laptop for work, and I'm more of a PC gamer. Wish I didn't because I got a pretty good deal on a Dell, so I'll probably re-buy one once a new bundle is announced.

You have a point but the rest of your statement is completely out of date. Since the Jasper version of the 360 came out there have not been any widespread failure reports. Since that version and the new one will be the only ones in the Retail pipeline, those issues are in the past.

So say "you'll most likely eventually have a problem like everyone else" is just as stupid.

I don't blame you for getting frustrated and selling but clearly the 360 has the better game library and IMO MS (although late) did right by their customers by extending their warranties so those that had older systems could still get repairs for the most common cause of failures.

My console gaming experience has never really been loyal to any system. I was a Ps1 and Ps2 gamer because they had the best library. Now MS does in this generation IMO. In terms of the PC, I have always been a PC gamer as well but I get just as frustrated as you probably did with the XBOX 360 when I have to deal with constant patch cycles, bug fixes etc with PC Games. Plus there are some games in IMO that simply play better on consoles (i.e. sports). I am also getting sick of the PC market coming up with new shader tech every 2 years and then I have to buy another GPU for my PC Rig to take advantage.

Their are definitely advantages and disadvantages to both. I love both PC and console gaming. I have a Wii, Xbox 360 and will probably pick up a PS3 this year because I need an another Blu Ray Player. It's a win win because there are about 4 or 5 games I would love to play on the PS3 which is an added bonus. I will continue to game on my PC but I probably buy about 75% less PC games then I used to.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
You have a point but the rest of your statement is completely out of date. Since the Jasper version of the 360 came out there have not been any widespread failure reports. Since that version and the new one will be the only ones in the Retail pipeline, those issues are in the past.

So say "you'll most likely eventually have a problem like everyone else" is just as stupid.

I don't blame you for getting frustrated and selling but clearly the 360 has the better game library and IMO MS (although late) did right by their customers by extending their warranties so those that had older systems could still get repairs for the most common cause of failures.

My console gaming experience has never really been loyal to any system. I was a Ps1 and Ps2 gamer because they had the best library. Now MS does in this generation IMO. In terms of the PC, I have always been a PC gamer as well but I get just as frustrated as you probably did with the XBOX 360 when I have to deal with constant patch cycles, bug fixes etc with PC Games. Plus there are some games in IMO that simply play better on consoles (i.e. sports). I am also getting sick of the PC market coming up with new shader tech every 2 years and then I have to buy another GPU for my PC Rig to take advantage.

Their are definitely advantages and disadvantages to both. I love both PC and console gaming. I have a Wii, Xbox 360 and will probably pick up a PS3 this year because I need an another Blu Ray Player. It's a win win because there are about 4 or 5 games I would love to play on the PS3 which is an added bonus. I will continue to game on my PC but I probably buy about 75% less PC games then I used to.

Actually, somehow I misread his post and thought he said 05. I can agree that the newer Xbox's have pretty much fixed the issue. (Although was the Jasper released that early? I know my replacement was a Jasper.) I'm actually interested in seeing the new / slim $199 model. If they include wifi it may be tempting. I don't need the hard drive. I can use an external USB drive.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new $299 model has built in wifi, there's going to be a $199 version as well this fall but they haven't said what it will/won't include. Hopefully they don't cut the wifi.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I just got the yellow light of death on the PS3...

Anyone is SoCal do repairs, so I dont have to pay 150 to get it fixed or go buy a heat gun to do it myself?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a used 360, 1 mo. old. It's the Arcade model. Should I be concerned? Also, curious about low-budget suggestions for storage, since I want to use it as a media server. Already watch Netflix movies and they look great even with my mediocre wifi connection.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn