"Worst pass defense in the NFL"

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The term "worst pass defense in the NFL" has been linked to the Cardinals for a few weeks now and I’m trying to figure out how that is even remotely the truth. The Cards are 9th in opponent passer rating, tied for 1st in interception takeaways, tied for 12th in passing TDs allowed, 16th in opponent’s yards per pass attempt and 14th in opponent completion percentage, but obviously they have "the worst pass defense in the NFL"…

All of those numbers would tell me that the Cards are actually one of the better pass defenses in the NFL at least somewhere in the top 15.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The term "worst pass defense in the NFL" has been linked to the Cardinals for a few weeks now and I’m trying to figure out how that is even remotely the truth. The Cards are 9th in opponent passer rating, tied for 1st in interception takeaways, tied for 12th in passing TDs allowed, 16th in opponent’s yards per pass attempt and 14th in opponent completion percentage, but obviously they have "the worst pass defense in the NFL"…

All of those numbers would tell me that the Cards are actually one of the better pass defenses in the NFL at least somewhere in the top 15.

With any kind of pressure on the QB, our secondary would be an elite group. But, as has always been the case in the NFL.........if you give a decent QB time, he will eventually find an open receiver

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With any kind of pressure on the QB, our secondary would be an elite group. But, as has always been the case in the NFL.........if you give a decent QB time, he will eventually find an open receiver

This is false too. This defense is pressuring the QB constantly. While there are not that many sacks, there are a ton of throw aways, and forced throws. That's because the blitz comes up the middle.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am confused again. Whoever said the Cards have one of the worst pass defenses must not watch the Bears play. Or many other teams.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was blabbering on this at halftime and I was unaware of the stat, but didn't look it up.

Figured most of it came from the second half of the Broncos game.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
its based on a yards per game measure

if you look at QB rating allowed-- the Cards are middle of the pack

[EDIT]: up to #8 overall after yesterday in QB rating allowed. pretty solid

Last edited:
OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
its based on YPG i believe.
I know and that is my point. Why in the world would supposed experts use something so simplistic as YPG to determine who "the worst pass defense in the NFL" is? It makes absolutely no sense. I would be fine with these so called experts saying that this defense gives up the most passing yards, but they actually say we are the worst against the pass.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Dumbest rankings metric ever is that they are based on YPG instead of anything else (both offense and defense). YPG means very little in the grand scheme of things. Hell, Passing YPG for a defense probably means a team continually has a lead at the end and is content to play a soft D in order to prevent big plays.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Dumbest rankings metric ever is that they are based on YPG instead of anything else (both offense and defense). YPG means very little in the grand scheme of things. Hell, Passing YPG for a defense probably means a team continually has a lead at the end and is content to play a soft D in order to prevent big plays.
Also a lot of teams abandon the run against the Cards because they always shut it down early.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was blabbering on this at halftime and I was unaware of the stat, but didn't look it up.

Figured most of it came from the second half of the Broncos game.

Foles had over 400 yards as well(411 IIRC). But then again he had 62 attempts meaning he had a little over 6 yards per attempt. Not that great. The defense is averaging a lot of yard passing per game but the real test is in scoring. 19.5 PPG is pretty good considering. The Chiefs, who are tops in passing defense, give up 17.3 PPG so we're doing pretty good.

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Bruce Arians said that the reason we have so much passing yards against us, is because they can't run on us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One can make or find a stat for almost anything they want to support.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know and that is my point. Why in the world would supposed experts use something so simplistic as YPG to determine who "the worst pass defense in the NFL" is? It makes absolutely no sense. I would be fine with these so called experts saying that this defense gives up the most passing yards, but they actually say we are the worst against the pass.

I think their point is that we give up tons of yards to WRs so why isnt he chucking it up to WRs.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its true teams have passing yardage against us but who cares? They have to pass as we stuff the run, and even with all the passing we are not giving up alot of points! So let them all keep saying we are bad and let other teams believe it, I hope they all fall into the trap of believing our D is bad.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree YPG is meaningless. When a team has the ability to rack up that many yards they are more likely to earn more first downs. More first downs keeps that teams defense off the field and gives that offense more opportunities to score. The fact the Cards are finding ways to stop teams when it counts is pretty astounding. Combine that with being 2nd worst in the NFL for sacks per game....it's even more impressive.

On the flipside that says to me the Cards are relying on big time defensive plays too much. You have to give the Cards all the credit in the world for continually finding ways to win this season. It's just being 3rd against the Rush and 32nd against the pass, 2nd worst in sacks is going to be a nightmare anytime we face a team with someone like a Denver, Patriots, or any other team with a prolific passer. It's our main weakness IMO.

The offense still isn't clicking on all cylinders either but again it's a testament to the Cards finding a way to get it done. Normally when a team ranks 28th in Rushing yards you would expect for Passing to be lights out. However, we are in the middle of the pack at 16th. As long as the defense keeps making big plays this isn't as big of a deal. In fact, this is the one area I think the Cards can get better as the season goes along.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It's selective reporting... They're last on league vs the pass in terms of yards...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard