World Poker Tour / World Series of Poker

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone watch this show on the Travel Channel? It's freaking addictive, and very cool. Gotta love those announcers, they get so into the game. They play Texas Hold 'em, which I haven't really played too much.

Having poker night at the house Friday night, we're going to play Hold 'em for awhile as practice, then maybe give an actual, No-Limit game a try...with all-in as an option.

Should be fun.

Mike

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it. Devil Fish is too smug though.

The kid Phil Ivey is pretty cool.

Oh man! *hint* Should I just invite myself over, or just show up unexpectedly! :)

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just finished that one...on to Reno next.

One of the first ones I watched had this Aussie on, he was so funny, talking trash, showing his cards, etc...

And we already have 6, or I'd invite ya!

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
And we already have 6, or I'd invite ya!

Mike

C'mon, man - think of how much better the games would be with a live in-house audience. :thumbup:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
C'mon, man - think of how much better the games would be with a live in-house audience. :thumbup:

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do like that idea immensely....

Mike

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Before I moved to Brooklyn, about 8 to 10 of my Denver budies and I player Hold Em every MOnday for about 18 months. Great game, shows addictive, and you can play with WAY more than 6, Mike.

Be sure to look up some fun games like High Low Omaha. Good stuff.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
Before I moved to Brooklyn, about 8 to 10 of my Denver budies and I player Hold Em every MOnday for about 18 months. Great game, shows addictive, and you can play with WAY more than 6, Mike.

Be sure to look up some fun games like High Low Omaha. Good stuff.

I play with 10 online, and it's just too many. The less number of people, the less chances you have of things like straights, flushes, etc.

Just my thoughts from playing a few times with that many people.

Mike

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: World Poker Tour anyone?

Anyone watch this show on the Travel Channel? It's freaking addictive, and very cool. Gotta love those announcers, they get so into the game. They play Texas Hold 'em, which I haven't really played too much.

Having poker night at the house Friday night, we're going to play Hold 'em for awhile as practice, then maybe give an actual, No-Limit game a try...with all-in as an option.

Should be fun.

Mike

Did you watch last night? That last hand? Holy cripes. Kiril Hits the straight on the turn and Alan comes back with the full house on the river card? What a way to end it. That was exciting and, Mike, that show is addictive as hell. Makes me want to go try this for a living...of course that is the gambling "addict" inside talking.

Love that show and look forward to the next installment. Are they just repeating season 1 after last night or are they launching into a new season right away?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno what they are doing, but thanks for giving away the end of the show!!!! lol

Not that big a deal really to know who wins, it's more fun to watch the process.

There was some marathon of WPT's on Sunday, and so I have like 4 on my Tivo to watch still...havent' gotten to last night's yet.

But I know what you mean, some of the flops, the turn and river can just change the way you think it's going to play out.

Mike

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dunno what they are doing, but thanks for giving away the end of the show!!!! lol

Not that big a deal really to know who wins, it's more fun to watch the process.

There was some marathon of WPT's on Sunday, and so I have like 4 on my Tivo to watch still...havent' gotten to last night's yet.

But I know what you mean, some of the flops, the turn and river can just change the way you think it's going to play out.

Mike

Many apologies on blowing the ending. But still watch because last nights action was wild the entire show. It was by far the best of the episodes. Again, sorry for the spoiler. I assumed (wrongly per usual, just ask my wife) that you would have seen it based on the thread.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Many apologies on blowing the ending. But still watch because last nights action was wild the entire show. It was by far the best of the episodes. Again, sorry for the spoiler. I assumed (wrongly per usual, just ask my wife) that you would have seen it based on the thread.

Think nothing of it...like I said, the reason I watch the show is to see how the play, not too worried about who wins really, especially since I usually have never seen any of these guys before.

But I will watch it. I was checking out this one at I think the Belaggio in Vegas.

This guy had a pair of 9's, the other guy had 10's...they both call and raise, and end up going all in.

I the flop was 8, 9, J...so the pair of 9's suddenly is winning. Tables have turned. But the pair of 10's suddenly has a straight draw.

The turn card is useless, then the river comes up...a 7...the guy gets his straight on the last card...it was pretty intense, one of the best hands I've seen.

Mike

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
WPT is the one show I make sure I watch every week. Very addictive.

I am in a regular game every sunday night, but we usually play with a bet limit. We threw a tourney a couple weeks back, started with 13 players and a $25 buy in for $100 in chips. Winner took 85%, 2nd place was 15%.

I won a hand early, with a flush to the ace. People kept betting into me since they also had flushes. So I won huge and was an early chip leader, but I couldn't get any more decent hands. It was a slow painful death.

I could seriously play Texas Hold-em every night.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bratwurst
WPT is the one show I make sure I watch every week. Very addictive.

I am in a regular game every sunday night, but we usually play with a bet limit. We threw a tourney a couple weeks back, started with 13 players and a $25 buy in for $100 in chips. Winner took 85%, 2nd place was 15%.

I won a hand early, with a flush to the ace. People kept betting into me since they also had flushes. So I won huge and was an early chip leader, but I couldn't get any more decent hands. It was a slow painful death.

I could seriously play Texas Hold-em every night.

Sounds fun man...let me know if you guys do another. My game tonight is falling apart I think.

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My game tonight is falling apart I think.

Mike

Just pop on the webcam, Mikey. I'm sure someone here would watch you play solitaire. :biglaugh:

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just pop on the webcam, Mikey. I'm sure someone here would watch you play solitaire. :biglaugh:

Go ahead, add insult to my injury...

I reaaaaaaally wanted to play tonight.

Mike

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Sounds fun man...let me know if you guys do another. My game tonight is falling apart I think.

Mike

Get a flight out here to DC and I'll make sure you get a seat at the table.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bratwurst
Get a flight out here to DC and I'll make sure you get a seat at the table.

Duh, should have looked at your location first :)

I would love a nice felt table and some clay chips, but can you believe how expensive they are?

$200 for a nice set of them is just a lot of money.

Mike

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you go clay, you never go back :)

Mike

You still talking poker, or did you slide back into your American Idol mode? :D

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: World Poker Tour anyone?

Originally posted by AZCB34
Did you watch last night? That last hand? Holy cripes. Kiril Hits the straight on the turn and Alan comes back with the full house on the river card? What a way to end it. That was exciting and, Mike, that show is addictive as hell. Makes me want to go try this for a living...of course that is the gambling "addict" inside talking.

Love that show and look forward to the next installment. Are they just repeating season 1 after last night or are they launching into a new season right away?

Finally saw this, and yes, wow, what a match. How about the guy who had a Full House, and then the River card was a 4th 7, leaving him empty handed!

Last hand was great, what a great show.

Mike

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Duh, should have looked at your location first :)

I would love a nice felt table and some clay chips, but can you believe how expensive they are?

$200 for a nice set of them is just a lot of money.

Mike

You can find some good quality, non-clay chips. My buddy got a whole set, plus two decks of cards for like 80 or so. 1 year later, and the chips are going strong. And the cards are guaranteed for life. The firstset took a beating, and they sent him two new decks. I could try and find ifno for you if you like. Oh, and scour thrift stores for card tables. We found one for 30 bucks. No burns no tears, and seats 8 with cup holders and ashtrays. ASHTRAYS! Heh. Old School table...

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,

How'd the Poker Game go? How many hands did you last before you went "All In?" :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard