Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minnie Driver Wants Wonder Woman
Source: Sci Fi Wire
December 14, 2004

Minnie Driver told SCI FI Wire that she'd love to play Wonder Woman, but doubts that it will work out in her favor. "I think you're probably going to see Catherine Zeta-Jones squished into a corset and a pair of shorts quicker than you'd see me," Driver said in an interview while promoting her latest movie, The Phantom of the Opera, which will be released by Warner Brothers, the studio that retains the rights to Wonder Woman. "I might have more currency now, after Phantom, because she is an operatic superhero, in my opinion."

"That's actually going to be my new angle, my new pitch," Driver added, laughing. "I knew there was a reason I came here today, and it was to hone my pitch to Warner Brothers."

Driver pointed to original TV Wonder Woman star Lynda Carter as one of her heroines. "She did it all with a couple of bracelets and a weird lasso, and she had an invisible plane!" Driver said. "Come on, she's heaven, and she was so sexy. Even though I didn't have blue eyes, at a stretch I thought I could possibly grow up to be her, whereas I could never have grown up to be Lindsay Wagner [who played the Bionic Woman]. Do you know what I mean?"

Driver laughed again when it was suggested that perhaps she could convince Debra Winger to reprise her role as Drusilla, better known as Wonder Girl. The future Oscar winner appeared opposite Carter as Wonder Woman's sister in three episodes of the old television series. "Heaven," Driver said. "Heaven. She's maybe my favorite actress."

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minnie's good and all, but as Wonder Woman???

Personally, it should be Charisma Carpenter's.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
Minnie's good and all, but as Wonder Woman???

Personally, it should be Charisma Carpenter's.

she's british and she's got good teeth - what more could you ask for?

seriously though - i think i might side with you - they could make a better choice for Wonder Woman. how about lucy lawless?

shawn

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:

Wonder Woman was British?

seriously though - i think i might side with you - they could make a better choice for Wonder Woman. how about lucy lawless?

Years ago, definitely. Not sure about now. I think she has to be ultimately considered in any case.

Of course, anytime Angelina Jolie is in a patriotic corset, I'm there!

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
Wonder Woman was British?

no - minnie is british - wonder woman isn't.

angelina? intriguing choice - not sure she has the face for it though. i think she has too much lip for the part. :D

shawn

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless... noone can possibly replace Lynda Carter.... Lord, did I ever have a major crush on her back then.... Come to think of it, she's still as beautiful today as she was then, so why cant she reprise the role? :)

bunnyhatesfoofoo

Down with the Sickness
Reaction score
FischerKing said:

shawn
Lucy Lawless should be Wonder Woman. She's seriously perfect for the role.

I like Charisma Carpenter too. She certainly has the fighting skill down from all those years on Angel and she looked great on the last episode of Charmed i saw her in but I still think she is lacking something that Lucy has.

Perhaps its the tough as nails Amazon additude that would be needed to portray Wonder Woman. Lucy seems to have it naturally and Charisma would have to work for it to be believeable. Still I won't be upset if Charisma got the part. She rocks.

bunnyhatesfoofoo

Down with the Sickness
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
i never saw, nor do i know, who Charisma is - i never watched Buffy.

shawn
You should give Buffy a chance. I didn't watch it for a long long time because it sounded so stupid but it really is very well written. The show is hilarious. I don't remember what the humor was like in the Wonder Woman series and I never read the comic but if Joss has a hand in the writing of Wonder Woman you can pretty much bet the script should be very good.

I don't think Sarah Michelle Gellar would make a very good WW. Maybe its just because she is so petite and blond. Id have to see her in the costume.

The attached is a photo of Charisma.

Attachments

• charisma93.jpg
    charisma93.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 191

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
bunnyhatesfoofoo said:
You should give Buffy a chance. I didn't watch it for a long long time because it sounded so stupid but it really is very well written. The show is hilarious. I don't remember what the humor was like in the Wonder Woman series and I never read the comic but if Joss has a hand in the writing of Wonder Woman you can pretty much bet the script should be very good.

I don't think Sarah Michelle Gellar would make a very good WW. Maybe its just because she is so petite and blond. Id have to see her in the costume.

The attached is a photo of Charisma.
Charisma is one beautiful woman.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whedon to Write & Direct Wonder Woman?
Source: TV Guide
December 20, 2004

TV Guide is reporting that "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Angel," and "Firefly" creator Joss Whedon may write and direct Wonder Woman for Warner Bros.:

Joss Whedon is staking his claim to another female superhero. Warner Bros. is on the verge of lassoing the Buffy the Vampire Slayer mastermind to write and direct the studio's long-gestating Wonder Woman feature film, TV Guide Online has learned. The almost-done deal comes just two months after Whedon announced that he was getting out of the TV biz to focus on making movies, beginning with his forthcoming Firefly flick, Serenity.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joel Silver on Whedon for Wonder Woman
Source: Sci Fi Wire
February 19, 2005

Sci Fi Wire talked to producer Joel Silver who confirmed that he is trying to sign Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly creator Joss Whedon to write and direct a new Wonder Woman feature.

"I'm trying," Silver said at Wonder-Con in San Francisco on Saturday. "I'm trying to work a deal with Joss... I was just in the other room [where Whedon was talking about his upcoming SF movie, Serenity]. I don't know if I could work that out. It's a complicated deal to do, but I would love him to do it. It would be great if he could do it."

Silver said that Whedon came to him with a new twist on the venerable character.

-------------------------------------------

I wonder (pun intended) what kind of twist Whedon has come up with? :shrug:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully his and Charisma's relationship has been repaired. I think she is the best possibility for WW.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Katie Holmes as Wonder Woman?
June 6, 2005
Source: SMH.com

According to the latest reports Holmes, with her long brunette locks, is one of Hollywood's top candidates to play Wonder Woman in producer Joel Silver's film about the sexy superhero.

Silver has earmarked Australia as the likely shoot location for the big-budget project and Holmes says if the script is good, she might be interested in donning the red, white and blue costume and bullet-reflecting bracelets.

"I'd have to read it," Holmes told AAP in Los Angeles while promoting her new film, another big-budget comic adaptation, Batman Begins.

As a child growing up in Toledo, Ohio, Holmes said she idolized Wonder Woman, the superhero brought to life by actress Lynda Carter in the 1970s television series.

"I was part of the majority of little girls that loved Wonder Woman," Holmes said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was part of the majority of little girls that loved Wonder Woman," Holmes said.

:rolleyes:

She probably saw herself dating/marrying Tom Cruise. Like that'll hap...err...nevermind. :D

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eh, Holmes wouldn't be right for the role. Not NEARLY buxom enough. Besides, Wonder Woman isn't stupid enough to buy into a sham religion whose founder once told a colleague the best way to get rich is to invent a religion.

Reaction score
Wonder Woman Found

The part has been cast... Photo from inital screen test below:

Attachments

• wonderwoman.jpg
    wonderwoman.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joss Whedon on Wonder Woman
Source: ifMagazine.com
May 3, 2006

ifMagazine.com talked to Joss Whedon at the Saturn Awards on Tuesday and he gave an update on his Wonder Woman feature:

"It's sort of shifting under me," says Whedon. "I'm doing more rewriting on this than I am used to. Finding her was fun, and finding the structure of the film was incredibly difficult and fun. I am not bringing in any villains that anyone knows. I will not be bringing in any of the rogues gallery from the comic book. The villain is original to the film."

---------------------------

There aren't too many people who could come up with a list of "Wonder Woman villains" anyway. :D

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
The villain is original to the film."

---------------------------

There aren't too many people who could come up with a list of "Wonder Woman villains" anyway. :D
That's because they all suck. I'd bet that Whedon creates this character and it becomes WW's "lex luthor" in the comics, too.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news: Warner Bros. has picked up a script from script from newcomers Matthew Jennison and Brent Strickland.

Bad News: Joss Whedon has announced (by way of his blog) that he will no longer be writing and directing the Wonder Woman movie at Warner Bros.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson