Wonder if Ryan McD knows he is going to be fired....

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aside from GS, which is not exactly strong at Center, don't most teams have a weak position on their teams? Ours just happen to be PG.

There's weak, and there's historically bad...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's weak, and there's historically bad...

Yes, and we fall somewhere in between those two. This will likely be one of our weaker years at PG but it probably won't be our weakest. It probably won't even be Rod Foster/Johnny High/Kyle Macy bad.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with that except I think you're forgetting Golden State added DeMarcus Cousins this offseason. Their weakness now is their towel boy.

Until I see him play like the old DeMarcus, I have their towel boy ranked just above Cousins and his repaired achilles.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, and we fall somewhere in between those two. This will likely be one of our weaker years at PG but it probably won't be our weakest. It probably won't even be Rod Foster/Johnny High/Kyle Macy bad.

Rod Foster and Kyle Macy were far superior at the point to anything we currently have on the roster, in my opinion.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Rod Foster and Kyle Macy were far superior at the point to anything we currently have on the roster, in my opinion.

Certainly Macy was. I don't remember Foster.

Speaking of Macy, he's a great illustration of how much the league has shifted to three-point shooting. He was 5th in the league in three-point makes in 1982-83, with a total of 23 -- not even one make every three games! In his five seasons with the Suns he made 120 at a .314 clip, and was one of the more dangerous distance shooters around.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd agree with that except I think you're forgetting Golden State added DeMarcus Cousins this offseason. Their weakness now is their towel boy.
That's true, now. That's why I started with aside from GS. They are now pretty strong on paper at every spot, at least with starters. However, now their bench took a hit overall.

If our weakness is PG, and Igor says he can adjust for that on offense, then I would think if a position is weak, as long as that weakness is not on the defensive end, you can hide a weakness on the offensive end. At least in the regular season. If you make the playoffs, good teams will make your weak guys have to beat you on the offensive side. Supposedly the Utah model that was Igor's idea, supposedly did not demand a top notch PG to run it. It will be interesting to see how the offense rolls, or doesn't come about mid-season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Certainly Macy was. I don't remember Foster.

Speaking of Macy, he's a great illustration of how much the league has shifted to three-point shooting. He was 5th in the league in three-point makes in 1982-83, with a total of 23 -- not even one make every three games! In his five seasons with the Suns he made 120 at a .314 clip, and was one of the more dangerous distance shooters around.
Kyle Macy to me was the illustration of how a guy with limited athletic skills compared to other NBA athletes, could hone fundamentals to a razor edge to make up for lack of athleticism. That dude was probably the most fundamentally sound PG ever.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyle Macy to me was the illustration of how a guy with limited athletic skills compared to other NBA athletes, could hone fundamentals to a razor edge to make up for lack of athleticism. That dude was probably the most fundamentally sound PG ever.

To me you just described TJ McConnell. Far more sound and effective than Macy. And I wouldn't want either of them starting for my NBA team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's true, now. That's why I started with aside from GS. They are now pretty strong on paper at every spot, at least with starters. However, now their bench took a hit overall.

If our weakness is PG, and Igor says he can adjust for that on offense, then I would think if a position is weak, as long as that weakness is not on the defensive end, you can hide a weakness on the offensive end. At least in the regular season. If you make the playoffs, good teams will make your weak guys have to beat you on the offensive side. Supposedly the Utah model that was Igor's idea, supposedly did not demand a top notch PG to run it. It will be interesting to see how the offense rolls, or doesn't come about mid-season.

Pretty darn hard to hide the inability of the player who initiates the offense to throw the simplest of passes...unless the plan is to play 4 on 5 on offense, which won't get you far in the NBA, either...

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Pretty darn to hide the inability of the player who initiates the offense to throw the simplest of passes...unless the plan is to play 4 on 5 on offense, which won't get you far in the NBA, either...
Unless you have Wilt Chamberlain! Honestly, the Lakers basically played three on five with Tex Winters offense. It helps when you can dump it down to Shaq!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Far superior? Not just better but "far superior"? Wow. I would take that bet any day of the week. Combined, Macy, Foster and High managed to score almost 20 points per game, dish 8 assists and 4 turnovers with less than stellar defense. And that was in 65 minutes per game.

Kyle might have had some seasons where he was the best of the group but the year I chose for comparison, the only year those 3 were our point guards, I'd take this group easily over them. And I don't like this group but I detested our PG play that season especially.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Seriously, I would roll with what we got for now, and wait for the best fit at PG and not settle for just a guy to put in that spot. I want a guy who will take us next level. May have to trade some picks and assets. But I would rather go big than give up a first rounder, even if it is the Milwaukee pick, just for any PG.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Far superior? Not just better but "far superior"? Wow. I would take that bet any day of the week. Combined, Macy, Foster and High managed to score almost 20 points per game, dish 8 assists and 4 turnovers with less than stellar defense. And that was in 65 minutes per game.

Kyle might have had some seasons where he was the best of the group but the year I chose for comparison, the only year those 3 were our point guards, I'd take this group easily over them. And I don't like this group but I detested our PG play that season especially.

I guarantee that you will be singing a different tune come December if we remain stuck with our current quartet. Heck, it only took me a fraction of last season and Summer League this season to openly long for the days of Rocket Rod Foster and Kyle Macy as our point guard tandem, as I did in an earlier post on this board.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guarantee that you will be singing a different tune come December if we remain stuck with our current quartet. Heck, it only took me a fraction of last season and Summer League this season to openly long for the days of Rocket Rod Foster and Kyle Macy as our point guard tandem, as I did in an earlier post on this board.
You are just going to be a joy this season on this board. Can't wait! :)

Very happy we have a legit center on the team--don't know if we could survive another year of BC complaining about our lack of size. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I honestly think the team got better even if PG spot did not on paper get better. Arguably, we had Cannan, and Harrison before, so it hasn't gotten WORSE. LOL. We got better at Center, SF, and PF. Booker is Booker, and from the workout videos, it looks like he got better. I still don't think we make the playoffs with the guys we have now. But the play should be better. New coach. New systems. I am looking forward to it and like I said, that's with knowing we can't make the playoffs!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I doubt it. Keep in mind, I'm not singing their praises, quite the opposite. But I remember our past and while we've had good luck at the guards spots, we were atrocious at PG for those years between the DJ to the Celtics trade and the acquisition of KJ.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns are going to get their point guard. I would be utterly shocked if they didn't.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt it. Keep in mind, I'm not singing their praises, quite the opposite. But I remember our past and while we've had good luck at the guards spots, we were atrocious at PG for those years between the DJ to the Celtics trade and the acquisition of KJ.

Yes, we were atrocious at point guard those years (and I remember them well, having sat on the Suns bench for a game, shaking Foster's hand at center court and getting an autographed poster from him beforehand)...but they still ran/played circles around what we have now. Frankly, if left unchanged, this is the worst point guard rotation in NBA history, and by a long shot...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No way worst.
Yes, we were atrocious at point guard those years (and I remember them well, having sat on the Suns bench for a game, shaking Foster's hand at center court and getting an autographed poster from him beforehand)...but they still ran/played circles around what we have now. Frankly, if left unchanged, this is the worst point guard rotation in NBA history, and by a long shot...
No way worst. Not even in Suns history. Any PG rotation with Sebatian Telfair, that's no way Harrison and Cannan are worse than Telfair. This is by far not the best, but no way worst NBA PG situation EVER. LOL. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That is just insane. Not only is it not that bad but it's definitely not the worst in NBA history. Literally no one else would agree with you. Pundits all over the country would be making that claim if it really looked that bad but it doesn't. It will be bad, probably the worst in the league offensively but the defense will make up for some of their deficiencies and keep them from being the worst ever in Suns or NBA history.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2006-07 Lakers had a rotation of Smush Parker and Jordan Farmar. I would take the current Suns over that. Smush started all 82 games. They finished 42-40 for the season. With a Phil Jackson team they got away with Smush being their PG but that is still worse than what the Suns have. I guarantee no other team in the league would have started Smush or Farmar that year. They had Lamar Odom average more assists than Parker, who dished out a paltry 2.8 a game with Farmar averaging 1.9 assists off the bench. No chance the Suns do worse than that. I would think our 2nd and 3rd string PG's will produce more assists than that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2007.html

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
2006-07 Lakers had a rotation of Smush Parker and Jordan Farmar. I would take the current Suns over that. Smush started all 82 games. They finished 42-40 for the season. With a Phil Jackson team they got away with Smush being their PG but that is still worse than what the Suns have. I guarantee no other team in the league would have started Smush or Farmar that year. They had Lamar Odom average more assists than Parker, who dished out a paltry 2.8 a game with Farmar averaging 1.9 assists off the bench. No chance the Suns do worse than that. I would think our 2nd and 3rd string PG's will produce more assists than that.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2007.html

I would equate a healthy Isaiah Canaan to Smush Parker, while I believe Farmar was better than any other point guard we have on the roster at their current stage of development.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would equate a healthy Isaiah Canaan to Smush Parker, while I believe Farmar was better than any other point guard we have on the roster at their current stage of development.
I would not be interested in Farmer over ANY of our present point guards.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Rumor is that Ryan McDonough started a thread on the internal Phoenix Suns message board:

"Wonder if Dr. Jones knows he is going to be banned..."

Hmm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson