Wonder if Ryan McD knows he is going to be fired....

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but aren't we used to it. I think 33 wins without injury should put McD in jeopardy.

Since drafting Booker the suns have drafted or traded on draft day for 5 players selected in the top 10: #1 Ayton, #4 Jackson, #4 Bender, #10 Bridges, #8 Chriss.

If you cannot break .500 adding 5 lottery picks to a star player in Booker then there is a serious problem.

NBA players don't usually reach their prime until 26 or so. The talented players on this team, minus Ariza, are all well away from reaching that peak. We tanked last season but really, with that roster, we could have kept everyone healthy and would have still been among the worst few teams in the NBA. Assuming good health, we'll be better this season but until players such as Jackson, Bridges and Ayton get up to speed, we're still going to struggle IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, winning 41 games in the West is not easy when you are drafting a bunch of teenagers.

I so agree. However, winning 41 games should be the goal. My hope is the Suns give us reason to believe they might make the playoffs even if they fall short. This perpetual rebuild is getting old.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I also don't think Chriss has anything to do with Bender's struggles. If Bender turns it around I think it will be because of coaching and more stability overall on the roster.

I can't help but feel that directly competing with a player in your draft class since joining the team puts extra pressure on a player. The fear of making a mistake. It doesn't bring out the best oinpeople (while acknowledging that Bender's best is limited anyway).

GatorAZ said:
Sarver has no problem changing coaches every year but the GM seems to be untouchable. Odd dynamic.

And I haven't changed my feeling that McDonough's placid personality is what motivates Sarver to keep him. It is clear that played into his history of micro-managing.

Yes, I've posted both opinions before. Regarding the past, I've seen no reason to change them, even if the Front Office situation may have loosened up a little bit, but still not enough.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Yup, the WC is going to be extra tough this year. Even us bottom feeders from last year - Lakers, Sac, Dallas, Memphis and us have significantly improved our rosters. Lakers added Lebron, of course. Kings added Bagley and Yogi Farell-not a big deal but Fox disappointed in his rookie year. And they ended the season on a rising note. Dallas added Doncic and DeAndre Jordan. Memphis has Conley back and rookie Javon Carter is from a similar mold. They also added Jaren Jackson Jr to help aging Marc Gasol.
We might knock off a few of the better teams because we're better than they expect but the ones fighting their way up, won't make that mistake - they'll be gunning for Ayton.
I won't be surprised if the Clips end the year in the cellar, but I think Denver will be in the running again - I don't recall if they added a notable rookie but they were rising last year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup, the WC is going to be extra tough this year. Even us bottom feeders from last year - Lakers, Sac, Dallas, Memphis and us have significantly improved our rosters. Lakers added Lebron, of course. Kings added Bagley and Yogi Farell-not a big deal but Fox disappointed in his rookie year. And they ended the season on a rising note. Dallas added Doncic and DeAndre Jordan. Memphis has Conley back and rookie Javon Carter is from a similar mold. They also added Jaren Jackson Jr to help aging Marc Gasol.
We might knock off a few of the better teams because we're better than they expect but the ones fighting their way up, won't make that mistake - they'll be gunning for Ayton.
I won't be surprised if the Clips end the year in the cellar, but I think Denver will be in the running again - I don't recall if they added a notable rookie but they were rising last year.

Denver drafted Michael Porter Jr... the ultimate boom or bust rookie. He already had another back surgery, so... I doubt he'll play this season much, if at all.

But yeah, the West is stacked. I think the Lakers and the Mavericks improved dramatically, I think we're also a team with obvious improvement. I think the T'Wolves are on the brink of implosion, I think the Grizz are likely trade vets and tank, not sure what to make of the Spurs, I think the Blazers will be worse, the Thunder will improve, the Clippers will win like 17 games, the Kings are doomed...

The West will be tough, it's been tough for a while. But... I think a lot of teams have plateaued, a lot of teams are in obvious decline and the Kings are ran by morons. So... the Suns need to show improvement for sure, but they also shouldn't expect the world. I don't think 35ish wins is unreasonable, but most of all, I hope they compete far more often than not. No more dead last in scoring margin.

Be patient but expect improvement, no more steps backwards.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't help but feel that directly competing with a player in your draft class since joining the team puts extra pressure on a player. The fear of making a mistake. It doesn't bring out the best oinpeople (while acknowledging that Bender's best is limited anyway).

They both have received far more playing time than their results deserved. This isn't like drafting 2 QBs in the NFL. You need, roughly, a 4 man rotation for your front court, we've essentially had Chriss, Bender, Len and Chandler. Chandler's play was limited by tanking and injury, any lack of PT by anyone else was purely their own incompetence.

I honestly doubt Bender and Chriss viewed each other as rivals in any sense. They certainly didn't act or play like it.

The Sixers drafted one big man after another, year after year. Each guy either flourished or washed out on their own merit. Chriss and Bender's problems are their own.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
They both have received far more playing time than their results deserved. This isn't like drafting 2 QBs in the NFL. You need, roughly, a 4 man rotation for your front court, we've essentially had Chriss, Bender, Len and Chandler. Chandler's play was limited by tanking and injury, any lack of PT by anyone else was purely their own incompetence.

I honestly doubt Bender and Chriss viewed each other as rivals in any sense. They certainly didn't act or play like it.

The Sixers drafted one big man after another, year after year. Each guy either flourished or washed out on their own merit. Chriss and Bender's problems are their own.

I agree. There was plenty of playing time for them. As someone else said a few days ago, Chriss failed because of his attitude, and Bender failed because of no attitude. They didn't fail because of each other.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver drafted Michael Porter Jr... the ultimate boom or bust rookie. He already had another back surgery, so... I doubt he'll play this season much, if at all.

But yeah, the West is stacked. I think the Lakers and the Mavericks improved dramatically, I think we're also a team with obvious improvement. I think the T'Wolves are on the brink of implosion, I think the Grizz are likely trade vets and tank, not sure what to make of the Spurs, I think the Blazers will be worse, the Thunder will improve, the Clippers will win like 17 games, the Kings are doomed...

The West will be tough, it's been tough for a while. But... I think a lot of teams have plateaued, a lot of teams are in obvious decline and the Kings are ran by morons. So... the Suns need to show improvement for sure, but they also shouldn't expect the world. I don't think 35ish wins is unreasonable, but most of all, I hope they compete far more often than not. No more dead last in scoring margin.

Be patient but expect improvement, no more steps backwards.

Yep, Denver basically treaded water except for IT, who was a disaster last year.

So right now it looks like locks top 4:

Golden State
Houston
Utah
Thunder

Then nothing surprises me after that.

Likely playoffs:

San Antonio
LA Lakers

Anything beyond that is really up in the air.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Grizzlies will also have Mike Conley back, who will be provide a big boost for them. If only the Suns had a PG like Conley waiting to return for this season, we had a Brandon Knight instead.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has Conley even produced? I mean he's solid, don't get me wrong but just by the games and seasons they've had seems like he hasn't been too impactful. I haven't looked into any stats or anything but sheesh seems like he's been gone from the league for a while. Only I remember when they were near their prime when they fought the Thunder or someone for the western or semi conference final. They were close but never really got there. I'm just talking from poor memory of a team I hardly follow so I could be completely wrong.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has Conley even produced? I mean he's solid, don't get me wrong but just by the games and seasons they've had seems like he hasn't been too impactful. I haven't looked into any stats or anything but sheesh seems like he's been gone from the league for a while. Only I remember when they were near their prime when they fought the Thunder or someone for the western or semi conference final. They were close but never really got there. I'm just talking from poor memory of a team I hardly follow so I could be completely wrong.

Conley is overpaid but he's a solid PG for them. He averages around 16.7 ppg with 6 apg, 3 boards, 1.5 steals, 2.1 turnovers, 38% from 3. He's not great but he's good. He seems to know when to score and when to pass also. Those are his averages over the last 5 seasons. He's a good defender as well. His stats aren't that great but the Grizzlies are a slow and prodding grind it out team so for him to average that much is a little surprising. I would think he could put up 20 & 8 on a team that played at a normal pace.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They did the exact opposite this season by signing Kyle Anderson and trading younger players and a pick for Garrett Temple.

Kyle Anderson doesn't exactly make my knees go weak.

Their off season involved snagging the 7th and 8th men from one mediocre team and one terrible one. I like JJJ but I don't think he's going to be a big factor as a rookie. Their moves this year remind me of the kind of moves the Suns were making in Nash's final 2 seasons. Treading water, hoping to make a final playoff run with an old team... except the Suns were floating around .500, the Grizz just won 22 games. Getting Conley back is nice, but they've still got probably the worst wing man rotation in basketball and if JJJ is considered a center then they've also got the worst PF situation in the NBA.

IMO, that roster is a garbage heap and they will be trading guys off to tank once they realize they're on pace for another sub 30 win season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Out of all the point guards in the league, Conley would more or less be the absolute best fit on this team. IMO.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Out of all the point guards in the league, Conley would more or less be the absolute best fit on this team. IMO.

If Conley is healthy, I concur. Warren, Chandler and Harrison work cap wise, if that plus a pick or two would interest them...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conley is way too expensive to gamble on, IMO. His health is questionable and needing to unload all of our assets to bring him in so we'd be stuck whether he works out or not isn't ideal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conley is way too expensive to gamble on, IMO. His health is questionable and needing to unload all of our assets to bring him in so we'd be stuck whether he works out or not isn't ideal.

We need a quality point guard but I think I'd prefer a bad point guard to a grossly overpaid one. You're screwed either way but I think it's easier to solve the bad PG problem. Conley is solid, almost a star but he's being paid like he's one of the select few game changers and he isn't that player. So I wouldn't want him even if he wasn't coming off an injury.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think there's a lot that goes into than just w/l record. Sure if the teams win at least like 35 games then it would be a success. But also it will depend on how compeitive the games are, how good of a system the coaching staff (that McD hired) has in place and how good of a season the #1 overall pick Ayton has (that McD drafted) especially in comparison to the other rookies Doncic, Carter etc.

If I had to guess, I'd say he doesn't get fired after the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's a lot that goes into than just w/l record. Sure if the teams win at least like 35 games then it would be a success. But also it will depend on how compeitive the games are, how good of a system the coaching staff (that McD hired) has in place and how good of a season the #1 overall pick Ayton has (that McD drafted) especially in comparison to the other rookies Doncic, Carter etc.

If I had to guess, I'd say he doesn't get fired after the season.

I agree if McDonough's moves are trending upward. If not, I do not see McDonough overseeing another draft. This is the season for McDonough to prove his worth... point guard or not.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He committed to a three year rebuild after Alderidge said no.

We now have a really nice core of young talent.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Aside from GS, which is not exactly strong at Center, don't most teams have a weak position on their teams? Ours just happen to be PG.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aside from GS, which is not exactly strong at Center, don't most teams have a weak position on their teams? Ours just happen to be PG.

I'd agree with that except I think you're forgetting Golden State added DeMarcus Cousins this offseason. Their weakness now is their towel boy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave