Wonder if Ryan McD knows he is going to be fired....

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think I have read many people saying that it is playoffs or bust this year for the Suns. If not, we could be in for another house-cleaning.

One thing I think I know for sure is that our playoff odds have to still be considered very low.

No way we beat:
Golden State
Houston

Still not good enough to contend with:
San Antonio
OKC
Utah
LA

That leaves:
Denver, New Orleans, Portland, the Timberwolves, and a deep Grizzlies squad all vying for the last two playoff seeds in the west.

That's before you look at the Clippers, Suns, Kings, & Mavs.

C'mon man...... Being realistic..... that guy is probably TOAST.

IMO this is still a 2 or 3 year project.

Thoughts?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People are saying? Or pundits are saying?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
LOL... We won how many games last season? Anyone who would expect the playoffs this season needs a head-check! Unless this team doesn't produce meaningful improvement this year - which IMHO would be something like low to mid 30's in wins - McD is totally safe. The 2019/2020 season is when we all should rightfully expect a post-season birth. Not now!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not super active here or in sun's news, especially not having cable but I think McDonough job is safe for at least two more years unless everything we just did goes horribly wrong

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The team needs to be improved, they don't need to make the playoffs.

If we win under 30 games and are getting wrecked constantly, he's gone. If we win 35 or more and are competitive far more often than not, he will keep his job.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I have read many people saying that it is playoffs or bust this year for the Suns. If not, we could be in for another house-cleaning.

One thing I think I know for sure is that our playoff odds have to still be considered very low.

No way we beat:
Golden State
Houston

Still not good enough to contend with:
San Antonio
OKC
Utah
LA

That leaves:
Denver, New Orleans, Portland, the Timberwolves, and a deep Grizzlies squad all vying for the last two playoff seeds in the west.

That's before you look at the Clippers, Suns, Kings, & Mavs.

C'mon man...... Being realistic..... that guy is probably TOAST.

IMO this is still a 2 or 3 year project.

Thoughts?

Lol nobody is saying playoffs or bust

Players on the Suns don't count

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team needs to be improved, they don't need to make the playoffs.

If we win under 30 games and are getting wrecked constantly, he's gone. If we win 35 or more and are competitive far more often than not, he will keep his job.

I think if we win 30 or more games, he's more than safe. We didn't just land Tim Duncan in the draft. This is still a SUPER young team that's going to take time to mature and gel.

But if it's under 30 and an ugly under 30, his seat will definitely start warming up. If they ain't in the playoffs in two years, I think he's a goner. But that's a ways away.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
http://www.azfamily.com/story/37960879/suns-devin-booker-im-done-with-not-making-the-playoffs
Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough didn’t mince words when speaking about the past season.
“It was a challenging season,” McDonough said.
McDonough said the Suns were ready to take the next step in a rebuilding effort towards fielding a competitive team next season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19181207/phoenix-suns-keeping-gm-ryan-mcdonough-season
Sources ‎told ESPN.com that the Suns intend to keep McDonough in charge of basketball operations for at least one more season, despite the ongoing wait for the first playoff berth of his tenure.

I guess we will have to figure out what "competitive" means. I think we lose around 35 in the west alone this season with all of these tough teams. Do we really think we lose less than 15 in the east?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.azfamily.com/story/37960879/suns-devin-booker-im-done-with-not-making-the-playoffs

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19181207/phoenix-suns-keeping-gm-ryan-mcdonough-season

I guess we will have to figure out what "competitive" means. I think we lose around 35 in the west alone this season with all of these tough teams. Do we really think we lose less than 15 in the east?

That second article you linked is over a year old, he's signed an extension since then.

I honestly think the franchise views last season as a success. They went into it knowing they'd be bad, they tanked, they got the top pick.

I'm sure their goal is to make the playoffs, but he won't be fired if they don't. They do need to show significant improvement though or his seat will get toasty.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think anyone realistically expects the playoffs this year - not while being in the West. I do think that if everything breaks right and Ayton/Bridges are both immediate impact players (Ayton, particularly) AND there are no injury issues, the Suns could really surprise and get somewhere near the 40 win mark. Not the playoffs, but picking in the late lottery. I think that would be considered a highly successful season.

In any case, I agree that McD still probably has a couple years of job security as long as there are any signs of progress.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's unrealistic to expect the Suns to make the playoffs this coming season but they need to show significant improvement towards this goal. A season like last season would be a disaster. I'm hoping for the Suns to compete for the 8th playoff spot in the West although making it is tough to see.

If the past two drafts do not show reason for excitement and the Suns get off to a terrible start this could raise red flags.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Suns are still going to be a disaster on defense so it’s unrealistic to think playoffs are a possibility. Unless they’re a bottom 5 team I think McD is safe. He’s Sarver’s boy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gotta start somewhere. a lot of teams in the history of the NBA had no chance of playoffs but made a "splash" into the playoffs. Agreed the West is tough. It all comes down to the system and the coaches now. At some point your draft picks have to step up. Either we drafted well, are developing that talent, and have implemented the proper system for our talent to succeed, or we haven't. If you are a team like Phoenix and cannot attract the Lebrons of the world, then you have to draft well. Face it, Booker is our "Lebron." Time to see if we got enough talent around him now.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns might have drafted Ayton, but it takes a lot of losing to get the 1 spot in the draft.

Who is responsible for putting us in that spot to begin with?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Suns might have drafted Ayton, but it takes a lot of losing to get the 1 spot in the draft.

Ahh McD is most responsible...but wasn't it part of a tank? I thought we wanted number one pick?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ahh McD is most responsible...but wasn't it part of a tank? I thought we wanted number one pick?

I think Pokerface has to be right there with McDonough with that emergency tank thread. :mrgreen:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns are still going to be a disaster on defense so it’s unrealistic to think playoffs are a possibility.

if the Suns are still a disaster on defense, then maybe McD's job would be in jeopardy.
on paper,
a new coach, several more defensive players,
and weak player subtractions,
including 1 or 2 more expected to be unloaded from last year's squad,
should produce defensive results

even Ayton, with his defensive flaws, should be a defensive improvement

McD will not be judged by Ayton's performance, however
picking him was a no-brainer
he will be judged by the new coach, Ariza, Bridges, and others signed to deal with our defensive "disaster"

if the Suns can't protect on the floor next season
McD will lose his protection as well

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Let's see. Go for the #1 pick in the draft by tanking in the best year to tank in decades. Get the number one pick. Then fire the GM for losing too many games.

And somehow that makes sense to some fans?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Let's see. Go for the #1 pick in the draft by tanking in the best year to tank in decades. Get the number one pick. Then fire the GM for losing too many games.

If and when McDonough is replaced, I really don't think anyone (the ownership, the Press or fans) will say that that it is because we lost games when we tanked. Do you really envision that?

The clock has restarted. His assessment will be based on whether he builds a complete team to reach the playoffs and shows progress each step along the way. In other words, will his skill set match those required to reach each level? As it should be. It is his job to build a balanced roster and, until we have a better than average starting Point Guard, we won't know.

McDonough is still unproven as an NBA General Manager. The performance of the team on the court starting next pre-season will determine the first step in that evaluation.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You forget the years before this past years tank job.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that McD could be fired this season but it's unlikely. If the Suns finish the season with under 30 wins and he should go. That's not asking too much. If we hadn't tanked last year 30 wins might have been possible. We won't be tanking this season and we have a better roster, overall. That's only asking for a 9 win improvement and if that can't be done, Kokoskov was a terrible hire and maybe we need to shop everyone but Ayton. I can't see that happening though. Even if Booker missed the entire season for some reason, we should be able to compete for 30 wins.

We need to see progress this year and I expect we'll see it. If Sarver tries setting a playoffs or bust scenario for next season then he's only setting us up for failure. We're just not there yet and that's ok, IMO. If the Suns can win around 35 games it would be a good year. Of course the playoffs would be nice but the roster is still really young. This year is about building chemistry and helping our young players find their roles. We'll see what needs to be addressed next offseason and fill the holes to compete in the 2019-20 season. Then, if the playoffs don't happen, let McD go. We shouldn't blow it up though so I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do. A better GM might be able to come in and help us get further without blowing things up though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose