Wk16-Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame thread. 12/18/22-12/24/22

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Conner is 14th in DYAR and DVOA. I don't think he can be a cornerstone of a good offense, but for the first eight games of a season with a healthy OL I think he can stay on pace for 1000 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving.

One of the mysteries of the 2022 season is why he wasn't used more in the passing game early on. 3.8 targets per game through the first five weeks of the year didn't seem like enough at the time. During his five games as a starter in 2021 he averaged 5.25 targets per game.

Green as a fourth passing option (or fifth really after Greg Dortch showed he could ball) really should be adequate.

Conner averaged over 50 yards a game through the last 7 games of last season. He hasn't had a single game over 30 this year.

One of Kliff's biggest issues might be drawing plays and game planning to make the most of the talents available.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Conner averaged over 50 yards a game through the last 7 games of last season. He hasn't had a single game over 30 this year.

One of Kliff's biggest issues might be drawing plays and game planning to make the most of the talents available.
And exploiting the weaknesses of the teams he's playing against. I think part of the issue is the Air Raid foundation that is really about keeping things simple for the players. Kliff has talked about how he can't steal things from Kyle Shanahan (I think) because the foundations are so different it doesn't make sense.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey my guy, did you just really type that AJ Green is an adequate WR 2 in any offense? ha! kidding with you a little my friend. Hope your center forward on your soccer team has a brace in your league tournament, and HH to the fam!
If they allowed 10 receivers sets Green would be covered by the water boy.

Reaction score
I mean, that's supposed to account for bad defenses, because it's defense-adjusted. We've also played some good rush defenses. SF is #2 in Rush DVOA, LARM is #5, NE #9. According to DVOA, LACH's rushing defense (25th) isn't even as bad as ours (29th).

We suck.

Here's a treat for those who can access it: Kliff Kingsbury Roasting on an Open Fire: Coaching Hot Seats.

Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals​

It feels like the NFL's reminder to maybe not collect so much dead money was aimed directly at Arizona. They just signed Kingsbury to an extension this offseason, paying him through 2027, part of a re-signing scheme that was going to keep the triumvirate of Kingsbury, Kyler Murray, and general manager Steve Keim together for the long-term future—a bold move for a trio that had one (1) winning season together in their first three years. This felt like a situation where the bottom could fall out and things could be a disaster.

And yes, the bottom fell out, and things became a disaster, even before Murray suffered an ACL injury which puts his 2023 season into jeopardy. It's quite possible the Cardinals will have none of their Big Three next season, with Murray rehabbing, Keim apparently on his way out, and Kingsbury dangling in the wind. I am shocked, shocked, that a team which spent the offseason bickering about studying clauses in their star quarterback's contract would be stumbling through a season. Almost as shocked as I am that a coach with a career 35-40 record in college wasn't able to come to the NFL and suddenly become a regular contender. The quarterback guru hasn't had an offensive DVOA above 3.2% since he arrived despite having his hand-picked quarterback prospect in Murray. And it's not like this is a spur-of-the-moment move; three years is more than long enough for a coach to establish a pattern of success. No, Kingsbury has been all style and little substance since arriving in Arizona, and some defense-led success last season should not save his job despite his shiny new extension.

I'm not sure I agree with Carson Palmer that the Cardinals' job isn't that attractive, however. It all comes down to the health of Murray's knee and his rehab from the ACL tear. The worry is not so much that it'll crush Arizona's 2023 season, but that it will permanently limit the mobility that has been Murray's bread and butter. If Murray can return to his healthy form, that's an enticing piece to work with. He was in the top 10 in passing DVOA and DYAR a year ago, which is a lot better asset then most new coaches get to inherit. If you trust Murray to be healthy, you can trade that fourth overall pick you're sitting on and fill your holes at tackle, at edge rusher, at cornerback. The roster needs a serious revamp as the past few years have left the cupboard bare, but a top-five pick and an above-average quarterback is a good start … so long as the ACL isn't a career-altering injury. Tough call there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They will cover. It will be less than a touchdown.

With McSorley at QB vs the 9th ranked defense. I'd be amazed if we score double digits.

Against Brady, Godwin and Evans with no pass rush.

This is a Bucs get right game for sure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose