Wills vs Wirfs

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thomas, Wills, Wirfs all over 90 studs and Becton the biggest and strongest of all these guys with a horrible grade yet people still want him

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Iowa’s outrageously athletic Tristan Wirfs checks in at No. 2 in our ranking of the top offensive tackles in the NFL Draft.

Wirfs didn’t lose often. He was a two-year starter, mostly at right tackle but with three starts at left tackle during an All-American final season. He was voted the Big Ten’s best offensive lineman. According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed two sacks, two quarterback hits and three hurries for seven total pressures. He allowed a pressure rate of 1.5 percent, which is one of the best in the draft class. He saved his best for last with just one pressure in the final seven games. He was guilty of one hold and two false starts.

At the Combine, Wirfs (6-foot-4 7/8, 320 pounds) put on a show with a 4.85 in the 40, 4.68 in the 20-yard shuttle and lineman-record showings in the broad jump and vertical jump. With athleticism, length (34-inch arms) and a standard of excellence in a strong league, Wirfs put himself in position to be the first lineman off the board.

“The competitive aspect, you want to be the best. Second’s the first loser,” he said. “I want to be the first tackle taken.”

Wherever he’s selected, it will be a happy ending for his family. His mom has been working at Target for 28 years, starting when she was 16.

“Growing up, I’d see her on the phone with her sister, and she’d be crying about stuff, bills,” Wirfs said. “She’d have to buy me a new baseball bat, buy me a new baseball glove, cleats, and as a kid you don’t notice that. But as I got older, I figured it out, why would I make [her sacrifices] go to waste, and it motivated me. I was going to do my best in every sport to make it worth it. That’s definitely been a big part of the motivation for me, because I love her more than she knows. Getting to hopefully pay that back to her someday would mean a lot.”

What we like

With athleticism, good-enough length and lower-body strength, good luck beating Wirfs to the quarterback. Right tackle is a vital position in today’s NFL. Gone are the days when the defense’s best pass rusher lined up on the right side and attacked only the left tackle. His ability to win on the perimeter from Day 1 could make him the first blocker off the board. A three-year starter, he was guilty of just one hold.

What we don’t like

Some of this is the quality of runner in the backfield, but Iowa’s backs averaged 2.8 yards before contact on runs behind Wirfs with a success rate of 46 percent, according to Sports Info Solutions. Both of those rank in the bottom half of our top 14 tackle prospects. Wirfs has knocked plenty of opponents on the ground; by the same token, he winds up on the ground too much.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/top-offensive-tackles-in-nfl-draft-tristan-wirfs

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Alabama’s Jedrick Wills, who protected the blind side of Tua Tagovailoa, checks in at No. 4 in our ranking of the top offensive tackles in the NFL Draft.

Jedrick Wills, who tipped the scales at 312 pounds at the Scouting Combine, once fancied himself a basketball point guard.

“I would put my head down and go to the basket and everybody would just move out the way. It would just open up for me,” Wills said.

His hoop dreams died as a sophomore, when he broke his foot. Fortunately for him, his mom had seen his athletic future years earlier.

“I started playing football when I was 7,” he said. “I was bigger than everybody else, so my mom kind of threw me in there. She was like, ‘You’re playing football, no matter what.’ Played football growing up. Got to high school, still played football, did a little bit of basketball. But once the offers and things came, it was kind of like, ‘It’s kind of real now. Dream’s coming true.’ I just tried to put all my effort into that.”

While he didn’t start immediately at Alabama, Wills earned ample playing time as a true freshman. He wound up starting the final 28 games of his career at right tackle – meaning he protected the blind side of left-handed quarterback Tua Tagovailoa – and earned second-team All-American as a junior in 2019. He also was academic all-district.

He won’t turn 21 until May 17. At the Combine, his 40 was fast (5.05 seconds), his 20-yard shuttle was so-so (4.84 seconds) and his arms measured 34 1/4 inches.

What we like

It’s easy to get caught up in the pass-protection metrics. After all, the NFL is a pass-first league and it makes game-planning a lot more difficult when the coaches can’t count on their tackles to win. Wills won – a lot – in college football’s premier league. According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed one sack in his two seasons as a starter. It’s the run game where his dominance really showed up. According to Sports Info Solutions, the backs averaged 3.5 yards before contact on runs behind Wills with a positive run rate of 59 percent. Both of those marks are No. 1 in the class. “You’re going to get a competitor, a good offensive lineman who’s smart. I have a high football IQ. (I’m) a mauler in the run and pass game. I try to put people on the ground as much as I can.”

What we don’t like

While he allowed only one sack, he gave up four hits and nine additional hurries for 14 total pressures. His pressure rate of 3.1 percent was good but not great. He’ll need a bigger toolbox to combat advanced pass rushers. He was a penalty machine, at least in comparison to the other draft-worthy tackles, with two holds and five false starts.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/top-offensive-tackles-in-nfl-draft-jedrick-wills

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Georgia’s Andrew Thomas checks in at No. 3 in our ranking of the top offensive tackles in the NFL Draft.

Before he emerged as one of the top offensive tackle prospects in the NFL Draft, Andrew Thomas faced a life-changing decision.

A native of Lithonia, Ga., Thomas was coached at Pace Academy by former NFL linebacker Chris Slade. Slade gave Thomas an ultimatum: Either play football or play the drums in the band. It was a tough choice. Thomas learned to play the drums at an early age; his father played the drums in the church band where Thomas’ grandfather is a preacher.

“I’m very musically inclined,” Thomas said at the Scouting Combine. “Growing up in the church, played the drums and things like that. My freshman year in high school, I was still in the band, enjoying everything, and my head coach, Chris Slade, told me I had a chance to write my own ticket playing football. And I loved the game but music was still very important to me and he told me that I have to put my focus on football and that’s what I did. I still love music, but I put my focus on football and I’m here now. At my high school, I’d be at the pep rally and I’d be playing in the band with my jersey on and then I’d go over to the football team and do the football things.”

Today, Thomas’ passions are a bit different: pancaking hapless defenders and playing piano.

Thomas was a Freshman All-American as a right tackle in 2017 and a first-team All-American as a left tackle in his final two seasons. In 2019, he won the SEC’s Jacobs Blocking Trophy as the conference’s best offensive lineman. He was the first Bulldog blocker to win the award in 21 years. He turned 21 in January.

Thomas (6-foot-5 1/8, 315 pounds) crushed the Scouting Combine. While his 40 wasn’t great (5.22 seconds), his 20-yard shuttle was exceptional (4.66 seconds) and his arms measured just about a mile long at 36 1/8 inches. Only Connecticut’s Matt Peart had longer arms.

According to Pro Football Focus, Thomas allowed one sack and no additional quarterback hits. With nine total pressures, his pressure rate was 2.2 percent – one of the best in the draft class. On runs behind him, the backs averaged 3.0 yards before contact with a 50 percent success rate, according to Sports Info Solutions. Again, that was one of the best in the draft class.

“I think I’m a mix of Tyrann Smith and Trent Williams,” Thomas said. “Trent Williams because of his athleticism and Tyrann Smith because of how consistent his set is no matter who he’s playing.

What we like

Thomas’ feet are fantastic. That’s what stands out most by this mountain of a young man. Georgia ran zone on 80 percent of its running plays, so there’s no projection. Of course, he’ll be long gone before the Packers are on the clock. He’s not a finished product but his combination of athleticism and length make him a potential dominating force. His upward trajectory the past two seasons bodes well for his future.

What we don’t like

Nobody is a finished product, and that’s true for Thomas. He needs to get better with his hands and polish up his footwork if he’s going to consistently beat the elite edge rushers who can burst off the ball and bend around the corner.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/top-offensive-tackles-in-nfl-draft-andrew-thomas

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Louisville’s massive but nimble Mekhi Becton checks in at No. 1 in our ranking of the top offensive tackles in the NFL Draft.

Louisville’s mountainous Mekhi Becton is hungry for domination.

He’s also just hungry.

Becton played his final season at 352 pounds and showed up at the Scouting Combine carrying 364 pounds on his 6-foot-7 3/8 frame.

“She’s a caterer. That’s why I’m so big,” he said of his mom.

Semone Becton “can make anything and everything,” Becton said, but her specialty is soul food.

“She makes everything good,” he said. “Mac and cheese, fried chicken, collard greens. That’s a good plate right there. You have your starch and greens.”

Becton’s always been big – the opposing teams’ coaches and parents wanted to see his birth certificate before youth games when he was about 10 – and got bigger with a 5-inch growth spurt as a teen. With that, he was showered in recruiting offers.

While he might outweigh the rest of the offensive line class, Becton isn’t some overfed, overweight blob. He impressed recruiters with his ability to dunk and run the court in basketball. At the Scouting Combine, he ran his 40-yard dash in 5.10 seconds. Throw in his 35 5/8-inch arms, and Becton has the raw materials of being dominant. There are flashes of that on the film – flashes that make offensive line coaches giddy.

Becton started 33 games in three seasons at Louisville. At left tackle as a junior in 2019, he was named an All-American – the school’s first All-American lineman since 2006 – and won the Jacobs Blocking Trophy as the ACC’s top blocker. He recorded more than 60 knockdown blocks, according to the coaches. He was penalized once (for a false start).

“I feel I’m the most dominant tackle in this draft. You wouldn’t go wrong picking me,” he said. “The tape shows it. It shows that I finish almost every play. It’s as simple as that.”

What we like

With gifted feet, brutish power and a killer mentality, there’s enough great film that it’s easy to project Becton becoming a multiple-time All-Pro. Louisville ran zone 81 percent of the time, so his movement skills were on regular display. “I love outside zone and inside zone. It’s just fun running a man out of the play taking him where I want him to go,” Becton said.

What we don’t like

The overpowering dominance doesn’t happen often enough. The analytical numbers are rather underwhelming. According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed one sack, five quarterback hits and six hurries for a total of 12 pressures, which equates to a pressure rate of 3.8 percent. That’s the worst of our top 10 offensive tackle prospects. According to Sports Info Solutions, the running backs averaged 2.9 yards before contact on plays behind Becton, a figure that lagged more than a half-yard behind Alabama’s Jedrick Wills.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/top-offensive-tackles-in-nfl-draft-mekhi-becton

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Becton will throw a lot of defenders right out of their shoes. But just as often, they'll technique their way right around him. He's a big guy, and that's what he's got. He'll get moved to guard and destroy people.
Wirfs may stick as an RT. Thomas is a natural LT and will be a winner there. Wills can play either and will succeed. Where he plays depends on who drafts him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
both can be true

Becton is doing it without a whiff of technique -- just raw ability

Just size. He’s big that’s it. It said he’s a good “finisher” meaning if he gets his hands on you your done, but guys go around him pretty easy like I said he grades out in pass blocking and running way below the other 3

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Becton will throw a lot of defenders right out of their shoes. But just as often, they'll technique their way right around him. He's a big guy, and that's what he's got. He'll get moved to guard and destroy people.
Wirfs may stick as an RT. Thomas is a natural LT and will be a winner there. Wills can play either and will succeed. Where he plays depends on who drafts him.

i think Becton appeals to orgs that believe in their coaching, and that combining his genes + raw ability with a year of NFL coaching will turn him into a 7-9 year all pro.

for them, playing at that level/effectiveness without technique is a positive not a negative

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Becton at guard sounds great. I don’t take a guard in the top end of the first round.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Before drafts it seems like everybody is confident that all of the first rounders will succeed..odds are most likely that half of these Olinemen will either be mediocre or out of the league... I just don't feel like doing flashy anymore.. To me that is Becton #1 and Wirfs #2 in the flashy category.. Wills and Thomas seem like possibly the lower ceiling but the higher floor.. I don't believe the Cardinals have been good at drafting on potential, they've done better just going with the solid less risk picks..

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah just said today on his podcast “Move the Sticks” that the majority of GMs he’s talked to have Wills as OT #1. Giants only team before us I see taking OT. Of course this doesn’t mean Keim is in the majority