Will be updating ASFN forum software.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There is a new version of the forum software ASFN is running on. The new version will be installed in the next few days. There will be some differences with it and will be some new learning curves with it as well.

The theme(look) needs to be updated as well. It will still have the same look but also needed to be redone with this new update.

I know some will not like it right off the bat, but please give it some time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the updated look. I had a question though. On the old layout I could set how many posts showed on each page. I can't seem to find that anymore. Is that something that's gone away or will it be added in time?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Got all cranky that I was signed out and everything was different. "Why weren't we warned?" I wondered. Well, we were, right here lol

I dunno. I loved the old format and hope things haven't changed. I'm very much an old dog :) I'll give it a shot.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Did I lose the option to have 80/100 posts per page? I now have tons of pages per thread. Used to love that feature. @Shaggy

Stout

Reaction score
2 issues. Well, 1 issue and 1 change. Notifications don't clear when you check them. They all clear except for the top notification, and if you don't specifically click on it and go directly to it, the notification always stays at 1 when there are 0. That's got to be a glitch.

Losing the ability to go directly to the bottom of the page is a loss of a feature. Usually you only use the arrow to go up, but sometimes it was nice to go to the bottom of the page instead.

Stout

Reaction score
Another definite glitch: currently unable to back space out of a forum and to the main forums list. Doing so gives a black screen with a tiny screen with a red X in the middle. To exit a forum now you have to return to the main forums list by clicking the link again.

But, hey, glitches are to be expected. They'll get fixed. Not like the update has crashed the board or anything :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pages seem a bit light and lack contrast. Can that be tweaked on my end or a different color theme added?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pages seem a bit light and lack contrast. Can that be tweaked on my end or a different color theme added?

It seems there are 2 options now. If you click your name in the top right and get the drop down, go to preferences. At the top of that page in the middle is Style. You can select Arizona Sports Fans Forum or Light Style. Choose one and click save toward the bottom of the page. The ASFN theme is dark, really dark. I don't care much for it but it is better than the really light version, IMO. I believe the light version is also the default, based on what I've seen and you describe.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like how users without an avatar now have the first letter of their username listed in that spot.

As someone who doesn't always read usernames and scrolls through recognizing most posters by their avatar, that will make it easier to keep track of the handful of regular posters with avatars.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems there are 2 options now. If you click your name in the top right and get the drop down, go to preferences. At the top of that page in the middle is Style. You can select Arizona Sports Fans Forum or Light Style. Choose one and click save toward the bottom of the page. The ASFN theme is dark, really dark. I don't care much for it but it is better than the really light version, IMO. I believe the light version is also the default, based on what I've seen and you describe.

I'd like to have some options in-between. The light is too light and the dark is too dark.

A beige or light brown option would be nice or some other variations.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to have some options in-between. The light is too light and the dark is too dark.

A beige or light brown option would be nice or some other variations.

I agree 100%

I just thought I'd give you a heads up that there is another option, not just the light. They are both a bit too much but I find the dark more tolerable for extended browsing.

The previous forum had a few options, I believe. I know I enjoyed the one I had except for how it displayed the DBacks forum. It utilized team colors but the background for the DBacks forum was just a really bad color.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%

I just thought I'd give you a heads up that there is another option, not just the light. They are both a bit too much but I find the dark more tolerable for extended browsing.

The previous forum had a few options, I believe. I know I enjoyed the one I had except for how it displayed the DBacks forum. It utilized team colors but the background for the DBacks forum was just a really bad color.

I appreciate that.

Yeah, I never messed with the contrast/color options on the previous format because I liked it. With the light format it seems to tax the eyes but I am not a fan of dark.

Also where there is the "like" function there seems to be an option to use a smilie face instead. This is new. The traditional smilie is still there as well.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is why I came right to this thread lol...thanks for pointing out the dark mode. It isnt perfect but it is way better than that light mode was.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the primary issue is that the thread color is too similar to the background color. if the thread color popped out of the background more it would be easier to navigate visually

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
defaulting to "watched forums" instead of "watched threads" would be nice. I used the watched forums button every time I login as some of the forums I will never post in and it condenses the forum to stuff I am interested in. Now it is two clicks instead of one.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its also harder to tell what forums have new posts and what do not as the font change is very subtle

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also where there is the "like" function there seems to be an option to use a smilie face instead. This is new. The traditional smilie is still there as well.

Yeah, its like Facebook now where if you press LIKE and hold down smilies pop up, each one meaning a different thing coinciding with the smilies. It goes like, love, laughing, Shocked, sad, And angry. I believe that's the order. It'll give a slightly different notification to the person receiving that reaction. Ill do a different on your last post, using the shocked type face so you can see.

Apparently it marks it as WOW. Close enough to shocked, I suppose.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, its like Facebook now where if you press LIKE and hold down smilies pop up, each one meaning a different thing coinciding with the smilies. It goes like, love, laughing, Shocked, sad, And angry. I believe that's the order. It'll give a slightly different notification to the person receiving that reaction. Ill do a different on your last post, using the shocked type face so you can see.

Apparently it marks it as WOW. Close enough to shocked, I suppose.

I'm a traditional type of guy I guess. I think I prefer the "like" function