Will Anderson Jr is that rare prospect who checks all the boxes.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trading back to take a cb is insane unless you’re talking about a Dion Sanders.
Give me a very good front seven where pressure can come from anywhere and average against the run and I will be happy.
I'd rather have great against the run. Make them pass.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I have made the commitment to believe everything I read unless and until it is proven otherwise to be untrue. Thus, I am taking the SackSeerer comments on Anderson to basically mean that the Cardinals would be wise to go ahead and consider any good trade offers, along with the fact that a few other edge rushers might not be as less of a talent as most have allowed themselves to believe about Anderson.

I do like several other Edge/LB that we could pick in the teens as we pick up another pick to grab that starting CB or C that we need. To come out of this draft with a starting pass rusher, CB, C, and possibly even a good DT would be a great start for our new staff. This looks like the draft it could be accomplished in.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
And we should care about SackSEER's projections because...? I mean, I doubt teams are looking at SackSEER and thinking, "Man, we better not draft this kid high."
Any evaluations are worth examining if they have been made by personnel with good backgrounds. It’s simply a cautionary tale. Why do you think he’s a great player? I suspect it’s mostly based on others evaluations. It’s true there’s a consensus that he’s become the top non-QB. Yet most of them are not claiming he’ll be a record setting Edge.

Harry

Reaction score
Develop CB into a quality starter
Let CB leave in FA
Draft CB with a higher pick
Hope draft pick is better than the guy you let leave

#birdcityfootball
If he was such a quality CB at a position with a shortage of quality players, why was his best offer a mediocre contract? Simply compare it to what the top CB free agents are being paid.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yet most of them are not claiming he’ll be a record setting Edge.
Record setting at our pick isn't a requirement - a steady presence at the position that puts up good #'s and is a leader is more than enough. (After we trade down to #4 to pick Anderson, of course!)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If he was such a quality CB at a position with a shortage of quality players, why was his best offer a mediocre contract? Simply compare it to what the top CB free agents are being paid.
If the concern is injury, his contract isn't any sort of major commitment. Just acquiring bottom feeders in FA with no risk and plenty of cap space is puzzling at best.

Guys like Murphy are EXACTLY the kind of players the Cards should be taking shots on.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
… because I saw him play football?

Real weird take from someone who claims a scouting background.

Edit: it’s literally wild that the consensus 12 months ago was that Murphy was the best CB on the Roster by far and today he’s just some scrub who might be as good as Antonio Hamilton maybe.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have made the commitment to believe everything I read unless and until it is proven otherwise to be untrue.
Way back when, when I was a youngster, there was a saying (even way moreso now). "Don't believe anything you read, and only half of what you see". :Dold

Harry

Reaction score

Edit: it’s literally wild that the consensus 12 months ago was that Murphy was the best CB on the Roster by far and today he’s just some scrub who might be as good as Antonio Hamilton maybe.
I agree he was a big fish in a very small pond. As to scouting if you don’t like my credentials, how about PFF. They grades him at 66.7 (average). Add that to the injury concern and I don’t see that as a high percentage risk for a rebuilding team in a year when the consensus of scouts is this is an outstanding CB draft pool. Again why did he sign for relatively low money? Obviously the injury risk was seen by multiple teams

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree he was a big fish in a very small pond. As to scouting if you don’t like my credentials, how about PFF. They grades him at 66.7 (average). Add that to the injury concern and I don’t see that as a high percentage risk for a rebuilding team in a year when the consensus of scouts is this is an outstanding CB draft pool. Again why did he sign for relatively low money? Obviously the injury risk was seen by multiple teams
Could not care less about PFF grades.

Disagree that there’s any risk on Murphy. If he’s a #2 CB who can play in the slot or outside on a good defense that’s good!

Maybe Murphy is betting on himself

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Man this is a strawman if I've ever seen one. I haven't seen anyone make this argument, though I know I did point out that Hamilton had a lower passer rating allowed last year just to demonstrate that Murphy wasn't especially good last year. He was ok.

Murphy is a nice player, but let's not act like he's ever even been a really good player. He's a notch above average.

I probably would have re-signed him, but I'm also a fan without as much information as NFL front offices have. I can see clear reasons to not re-sign him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I can see clear reasons to not re-sign him.
What are they? The best I’ve heard is maybe his back injury is really bad—which has no real evidence.

Everything else is just post-hoc excuse-making because he might help us win games next year. This is a prospect that many on this board currently see as Actually Bad.

Reactions: PJ1

gmartin

Reaction score
Develop CB into a quality starter
Let CB leave in FA
Draft CB with a higher pick
Hope draft pick is better than the guy you let leave

#birdcityfootball
Maybe hoping CB you draft doesn't get a back injury?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What are they? The best I’ve heard is maybe his back injury is really bad—which has no real evidence.

Everything else is just post-hoc excuse-making because he might help us win games next year. This is a prospect that many on this board currently see as Actually Bad.
Maybe they don't believe in paying money to okay corners? While the contract isn't an especially big one, we've seen where a few contracts like the one Murphy received can limit flexibility.

Despite your claims to the contrary, Murphy wasn't appreciably better than low cost alternatives, Wilson and Hamilton. Fenton's career isnt too far off Murphy either. And all are substantially cheaper.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Would have been better to keep Murphy and add to him. I don’t think any of us want to see our high draft picks that do well leave after their rookie contract. I wanted Allen and Murphy back since they were the best we had at those positions. Now we have to hope a rookie or a low level free agent can make up for their play which I’m not too enthusiastic about.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Most on this board were surprised by the contract Murphy signed with Minnesota. Even at that cost, Murphy is being paid as the 23rd highest CB in the NFL. There are 64 starting CBs (I know you know this). So, he is a quality player at CB based upon his salary alone as well as the eye test.

Letting him go, and drafting a CB in the top 12(?) hoping he becomes better than the 23rd highest paid CB is treading water at best. He could be Sauce Gardner or he could be Jeff Okudah. Murphy at least was a known professional quality.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Man this is a strawman if I've ever seen one. I haven't seen anyone make this argument

Despite your claims to the contrary, Murphy wasn't appreciably better than low cost alternatives, Wilson and Hamilton.
Do you have early-onset Alzheimer’s bruh?

I won’t apologize for thinking it’s better to have more good players than fewer.

Reactions: PJ1

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Would have been better to keep Murphy and add to him. I don’t think any of us want to see our high draft picks that do well leave after their rookie contract. I wanted Allen and Murphy back since they were the best we had at those positions. Now we have to hope a rookie or a low level free agent can make up for their play which I’m not too enthusiastic about.

Exactly. What if our 2023 CB room was Murphy, Wilson, Hamilton, Felton, + a 2nd rounder?

Assuming Murphy stays healthy, and that you keep that group together for 2024, and it could have been part of defense good enough to win the division.

The only thing that makes sense to me about letting Murphy walk for that little money is that the Cardinals think his back is toast.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. What if our 2023 CB room was Murphy, Wilson, Hamilton, Felton, + a 2nd rounder?

Assuming Murphy stays healthy, and that you keep that group together for 2024, and it could have been part of defense good enough to win the division.

The only thing that makes sense to me about letting Murphy walk for that little money is that the Cardinals think his back is toast.
I m pretty sure with Keim at GM, Byron Murphy still would be a Cardinal
Maybe some of his haters regrets not having him right now
Missing a key piece like Murphy definitely drop the chance for a superbowl run next season

Last edited:

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Most on this board were surprised by the contract Murphy signed with Minnesota. Even at that cost, Murphy is being paid as the 23rd highest CB in the NFL. There are 64 starting CBs (I know you know this). So, he is a quality player at CB based upon his salary alone as well as the eye test.

Letting him go, and drafting a CB in the top 12(?) hoping he becomes better than the 23rd highest paid CB is treading water at best. He could be Sauce Gardner or he could be Jeff Okudah. Murphy at least was a known professional quality.

How do we know the Cardinals didn't make an offer (for more even no less) and he turned it down given the state of the organization and franchise (e.g. uncertainty)?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose