Will Anderson Jr is that rare prospect who checks all the boxes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Do you have early-onset Alzheimer’s bruh?

I won’t apologize for thinking it’s better to have more good players than fewer.
The devil's in the details my good man.

I'm not saying:

Murphy = Hamilton

I'm saying he's not that much better. He's not even 1 win over a 17 season better. I agree it's smart to add as many good players as possible and the Cardinals don't need to lose good players. But I also can see a very clear picture that the Cardinals can add a veteran CB at a fraction of the cost of Murphy and that veteran will be about as good as Murphy.

When a team is doing a cap reset, they don't exactly want to stack contracts that don't make sense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The devil's in the details my good man.

I'm not saying:

Murphy = Hamilton

I'm saying he's not that much better. He's not even 1 win over a 17 season better. I agree it's smart to add as many good players as possible and the Cardinals don't need to lose good players. But I also can see a very clear picture that the Cardinals can add a veteran CB at a fraction of the cost of Murphy and that veteran will be about as good as Murphy.

When a team is doing a cap reset, they don't exactly want to stack contracts that don't make sense.
Murphy’s contract makes sense. What are we resetting from on the cap? We had the fifth-most cap space in the NFL at the start of free agency.

Cap space isn’t going to help Antonio Hamilton cover Deebo Samuel.

And if you want to trust The Market, it views Murphy as about 4x the player as Hamilton and Fenton combined.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
From the responses to that post:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Player A is a combination of the best year in each stat from the other 4 players listed.

Player B is Will Anderson's sophomore season.
Listen to his rationale. He may be right...he may be wrong.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Byron Murphy is better than Hamilton. Is worth his contract. And probably should have been offered more to stay.

We either said no due to medical or no out of stupidity. There is no other reason to say no IMO.

Also IMO..... it was just another error in a long line of recent errors made by the new and old GM. With the one caveat being his medical. But he had to pass a physical in Minny so....... :shrug:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think any of us want to see our high draft picks that do well leave after their rookie contract.
I don't get why the angst over letting Murphy & Allen go is any greater than the angst over not signing anyone good.

The advantage of keeping your own drafted players is that you can lock them up long term a year BEFORE their rookie contract expires, if you believe in their future potential and they don't mind forgoing free agency for the security of an early signing bonus vs. the risk of injury in the final year of their rookie contracts.

That ship had ALREADY SAILED last year under Keim. Either he screwed up or he correctly judged that they weren't worth what they were asking for at that time.

But this off-season, Murphy and Allen were no different from any other free agents on any team, with the exception that the Cardinals know them better than anyone else. At least, the old regime did.

If the Cardinals had signed a mediocre cornerback with a back injury from the Vikings, even for the cheap contract he got, I don't think anyone here would be too excited about it, or expecting him to be part of the core of the 2025 Cardinals.

I think some people are just emotionally attached to those guys since they were Cardinals.

:shrug:

Last edited:

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Murphy’s contract makes sense. What are we resetting from on the cap? We had the fifth-most cap space in the NFL at the start of free agency.
We also only have 3 non-rookie contracts on the books for 2025. The clearing the cap narrative is just weird at this point. It's already cleared.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

an outlier to be sure

but what i find interesting (and it seems like its forgotten his time of year): go look at drafts from 10 years ago --
the order is generally right by the NFL, but still lots of volatility even in the top 10

if at this time in 2011, had somebody said JJ Watt was the #1 player -- we all would have laughed, but he wouldnt have been wrong ( or wrong by much)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

What a buffoon.
You see Zierlein, Jeremiah, and now Simms all putting Wilson ahead of Anderson Jr.

All three have extensive ties to NFL teams, with Zierlein and Jeremiah talking to GMs, directors of personnel, and scouts.

The NFL draft isn't just about college production, it's also about projecting how good a player can be. Wilson's ceiling is higher than any other prospect in the draft.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don't get why the angst over letting Murphy & Allen go is any greater than the angst over not signing anyone good.

The advantage of keeping your own drafted players is that you can lock them up long term a year BEFORE their rookie contract expires, if you believe in their future potential and they don't mind forgoing free agency for the security of an early signing bonus vs. the risk of injury in the final year of their rookie contracts.

That ship had ALREADY SAILED last year under Keim. Either he screwed up or he correctly judged that they weren't worth what they were asking for at that time.

But this off-season, Murphy and Allen were no different from any other free agents on any team, with the exception that the Cardinals know them better than anyone else. At least, the old regime did.

If the Cardinals had signed a mediocre cornerback with a back injury from the Vikings, even for the cheap contract he got, I don't think anyone here would be too excited about it, or expecting him to be part of the core of the 2025 Cardinals.

I think some people are just emotionally attached to those guys since they were Cardinals.

By this logic, we should be expecting extensions for Simmons, Jones, Fotu, or Lawrence any day now.

I'm just not buying it personally.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You see Zierlein, Jeremiah, and now Simms all putting Wilson ahead of Anderson Jr.

All three have extensive ties to NFL teams, with Zierlein and Jeremiah talking to GMs, directors of personnel, and scouts.

The NFL draft isn't just about college production, it's also about projecting how good a player can be. Wilson's ceiling is higher than any other prospect in the draft.
I think Simms actually made a good point, when he said that sometimes being on a stacked defense hides a lot of a players' mistakes and deficiencies...like being the top rated CB in college football, but you're on a defense with the best pass rush and vice versa. Only time will tell on Wilson and Anderson. I haven't watched enough college football in the last few years, to have my own judgement, so I'm trying to watch and listen to people who know better than me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Ranking him behind Tyree Wilson is one thing. I don't agree with it, but pundits will always fall in love with raw potential. He's a buffoon because he ranked Anderson as only the #5 edge prospect. 5? Uh huh, sure Simms. Suuure.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Oh, and Wilson's floor is also quite low. Boom or bust written all over that kid.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1 - To have Anderson ranked lower than Smith and McDonald is absurd.

2 - I see a lot of Khalil Mack in Will Anderson. So, if you like Mack, Anderson does many similar things.

3 - I can understand preferring large EDGE players, especially for 4-3 schemes. That is the only legitimate critique I see.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

2 - I see a lot of Khalil Mack in Will Anderson. So, if you like Mack, Anderson does many similar things.

3 - I can understand preferring large EDGE players, especially for 4-3 schemes. That is the only legitimate critique I see.
I agree with everything you said here.

I will just say, I can see why Wilson is higher on some boards. Some of the hate here is ridiculous.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh, and Wilson's floor is also quite low. Boom or bust written all over that kid.
I actually disagree. Wilson is very powerful in his power rush and speed to power.

He doesn't have any other moves but there are reps where you can see him working on other moves.

Let's just put it this way: I see his floor as a guy who will struggle against top tackles but will feast against lesser players.

If you want to see tape of Anderson that will make you doubt him, turn on the tape of his game against Tennessee. Darnell Wright owned him, badly.

Why did he own Anderson? He nullified his bull rush and Anderson had no answer. If an edge rusher gets the bull rush taken away, it's hard to do anything else because a blocker can just anchor and counter.

Wilson's bull rush is monstrous. I think people downgrading him aren't considering how important the bull rush is to an overall pass rush plan.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Agree!!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s not a bad assessment but do you consider Murphy “mediocre?”

Also, I don’t think anyone would be unhappy with signing young ascending players - regardless of where they came from. But we haven’t done that. From inside or outside the organization. There’s also some value in continuity of players playing together. Our safeties have played with murph. Our linebackers has played with Allen. There’s a comfort level and familiarity that should allow for better cohesion on the field.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Simms actually made a good point, when he said that sometimes being on a stacked defense hides a lot of a players' mistakes and deficiencies...like being the top rated CB in college football, but you're on a defense with the best pass rush and vice versa. Only time will tell on Wilson and Anderson. I haven't watched enough college football in the last few years, to have my own judgement, so I'm trying to watch and listen to people who know better than me.
I’m typically somewhat leery of Alabama and Georgia defensive and Ohio state quarterbacks for that very reason. But watching will Anderson for the past few years lead me to believe he was the one making all the other players better. His jump, anticipation and play diagnosis is outta this world fast.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everytime I watch video of Anderson it becomes abundantly clear that he is something special. The elite get off. The elite quickness. The nonstop motor. The football intelligence. It would be very hard to pass up on this kid.

I'm still hoping that the Colts panic and make the Cardinals a decent offer to move up one spot and the Cardinals still snag Anderson. Assuming the Texans don't take him at 2.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Carter's ceiling is the highest and it isn't close.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard