Will 9-8 Record be a Successful '21 Season

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
In the toughest division in football, would you consider 9-8 as being a good year for the Cardinals, playoff team or not?

I sometimes look at it from the perspective of how many other teams, if placed in our division, could expect a 9-8 season? As a Cards fan, I would feel a little disappointed, yet satisfied that, even with baby steps, we seem to be improving, along with remaining on the verge of breaking through to the next level.

I doubt at 9-8 that I would call for any major changes. Of course, like most of us, I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading Keim's position with an Ozzie Newsome type.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Depends how we do in the division - split minimum to get in the playoffs - playoffs or bust, unless rash of injuries, an exaggerated response to a pandemic, world war, or the ole cat crapped on the pump handle. I think we pulled the table cloth out from Denny green to early. rather eat another year after so much invested and progress still being made.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ehhhh only if cards squeak into poffs tired of close but no cigar cards fans are due.....

Also kliff should be on poffs or gone seat imo lol he is on my madden 22 ps5 franchise anyway

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With no key injuries, same as it ever was on offense, penalties, can’t get of the field on third down,late game decision making then NO!!

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’m sick about hearing the “ toughest division in football” excuse. If L.A , Seattle and San Fran has better record than ours it means they’ve done a better job.
Or maybe it just means they have better “ leadership” than us .
I think it’s true top to bottom. I’m sick of when we were the worst division in football! if we win the NFCW we should be ready to compete in the playoffs Against Super Bowl contenders - my concern is starting flat because of this screwed up preseason, everybody so a scared of owies - that they are not prepared to be at top potential till the 4th game in the regular season. starters looked like shot in their only action this short preseason. Like they forgot all about last pandemic preseason, I don’t like the attitude, living scared, I didn’t get to slack at training for my bosses , including myself.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Geez, that's definitely a question of how we get there, I guess. The NFL is a weekly battle. If some of those losses are hard fought battles against good teams (our division, the Titans, the Vikings, Browns, Packers... however it sorts out over the year), maybe I see it as a success. If we scrape by as has been our modus operandi over the past five years, I doubt I'll think so.

That connects to one of my bigger issues about this year - many of our key players for success aren't cornerstones of our future. It wouldn't be shocking if we had completely new personnel in full position groups, like TE or RB. CB will likely look a lot different.

It's hard to see scraping into the playoffs as the final seed as a success, if it goes that way.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Only over .500 because they extended the season???

uuhhh..... no

anything less than 10 wins is a complete failure

of course they could squeak into the playoffs and go win the SB... that would be called a successful playoff run.

I dunno.... we have some talent.
But I have yet to see that talent will the team to victory.... they tell you how much it suxx to lose but so far none of them have put the team on their back and forced a win.

that talent needs to start taking over games or the record won’t matter anyway

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we don’t make it into the playoffs and score at least one playoff victory, I don‘t think we can consider this season a success. With the talent they have on the team and the veteran leadership, they should make a deep playoff run should they get in. It’s all on Kyler Murray’s shoulders IMO, barring injuries. We have talent everywhere now, it’s up to him to be able to scan the field and find it, keep the team together and have the leadership to get guys to overperform.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this offense is set up to fail to be honest.

our Wr Corp is banking on an ageing Wr coming off one of his worse seasons. We are banking on Edmonds holding up over 17 games and his back up is meh. We also let one of Kyler’s target in Arnold walk away.
in addition to that if our offensive philosophy continues to play on a ten yard field eventually a penalty will pop up and stall the drive.
We can’t go 3-4 plays without a preamps penalty but it seems we are destine to attempt 12 play drives. No huddle hurry up is not scaring anybody and only seems to confuse our players.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think this offense is set up to fail to be honest.

our Wr Corp is banking on an ageing Wr coming off one of his worse seasons. We are banking on Edmonds holding up over 17 games and his back up is meh. We also let one of Kyler’s target in Arnold walk away.
in addition to that if our offensive philosophy continues to play on a ten yard field eventually a penalty will pop up and stall the drive.
We can’t go 3-4 plays without a preamps penalty but it seems we are destine to attempt 12 play drives. No huddle hurry up is not scaring anybody and only seems to confuse our players.
How is the team "banking" on an ageing WR? IF Green doesn't work out, you flex Kirk back outside and you still have Rondale Moore. Sure, he's not an established player, but the Cardinals aren't banking on Green only.

Again....Edmonds is one of four RBs. Not banking on him only. The team brought in Conner and has Eno/Ward as well.

Arnold averaged like 2.5 catches a game.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is the team "banking" on an ageing WR? IF Green doesn't work out, you flex Kirk back outside and you still have Rondale Moore. Sure, he's not an established player, but the Cardinals aren't banking on Green only.

Again....Edmonds is one of four RBs. Not banking on him only. The team brought in Conner and has Eno/Ward as well.

Arnold averaged like 2.5 catches a game.
Okay let’s go over your response.
WR. Kirk does not strike fear in the hearts of defenses inside or outside. Moore is a rookie… so was Issabella, how did that work out.
Greens numbers weren’t to much better than Fitz and Fitz was under-utilized.
Arnold would have been the receiving te across from, ha, whomever.
Here’s the best one. Running backs. Ward and ENO? One friggin carry between the both of them for the entire year. I love Edmonds but he has gotten nicked up anytime he’s been pressed into full time action. And Conner is not going to replace Edmonds in the same capacity should Chase go down especially catching the ball.
I understand your point of view but I’ll agree to disagree with you.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Okay let’s go over your response.
WR. Kirk does not strike fear in the hearts of defenses inside or outside. Moore is a rookie… so was Issabella, how did that work out.
Greens numbers weren’t to much better than Fitz and Fitz was under-utilized.
Arnold would have been the receiving te across from, ha, whomever.
Here’s the best one. Running backs. Ward and ENO? One friggin carry between the both of them for the entire year. I love Edmonds but he has gotten nicked up anytime he’s been pressed into full time action. And Conner is not going to replace Edmonds in the same capacity should Chase go down especially catching the ball.
I understand your point of view but I’ll agree to disagree with you.
But again....not banking. It isn't like there isn't other answers.

Comparing Moore to Isabella is apples to oranges. There is a real clear use of Moore in the Cardinals offense.

Again....Arnold has pedestrian numbers. Lots of potential, but barely used.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I guess it depends on if you bet the Cards over 8 1/2 win total set by Vegas

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure I'd take 9-8 as long as we get into the playoffs but 10-7 or 11-6 would be much better. Hell, why not win the division lol? We were a decent FG kicker away from making the playoffs last year imo & have a much better roster on paper this year. Injuries happen so we'll see?