Wilks Coaching Staff Thread

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I ran into this problem today, laying out Draft Prospect Lists.

Do I keep the traditional OLB/ILB/DE headings? Or do I create a special EDGE category for pass rushing DE's and OLB's.

With a hybrid defense which could conceivably make 10 of 11 defensive players "interchangeable" on any given play, good luck with trying to slot every player into traditional 4-3 or 3-4 or nickel roles.

Personally, I have been putting players under "Pass Rusher" for a couple of season now. Even last year, the pass rush positions were made up of three spots.

The traditional 3-4 OLB, Golden, and Jones, and the Nickel package where they kicked Jones inside to DT, and put Reddick/Kareem Martin on the outside.

I will have to put an edit point on my response to Ghandi's post, because I keep forgetting what the Seahawks, Raiders, Vikings, and Falcons where running last year.

It is a 4-3, but the SILB is a pass rusher type, or "traditional 3-4 OLB" type.

Where Dion Jordan, Bruce Irvin, Anthony Barr, and Vic Beasley play SILB in the 4-3 alignment.

Like Ghandi stated, defense these days have no traditional lineup, line in year's past, and probably the most traditional lineup is a Nickel package of some sort.

Still, I am with you. Hard to get an idea of how this roster will come together defensively.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1st off, great post, and one that I 100% agree with.

2nd, I think I did not explain what I meant with my original statement.

What I am getting when I talk "roster structure" is how many of a position are you going to have on the roster. There are only 53 spots, so you cannot have players for all formations and line ups. You just can't.

For the sake of explaining the situation, and keeping it basic, say your team is a "3-4" team, keeping in mind how futile of a things that is to say, per your post above, but let's say it is a 3-4.

It would be in the best interests of the team to have about 6 defensive tackle type players on the team, to have starters and backups for the three down linemen. Also, you are only going to need about 4 true linebackers for the inside linebacker position on the roster.

Going the other way with a 4-3, you may only have 4 defensive linemen for the defensive tackle position, which Wilks had in Carolina, and 6 true linebackers for the WLB, MLB, SLB and their backups.

I know, it is a whopping two roster spots that we are talking about, but when thinking about starters it is investing resources into a player, and it is two positions you cannot interchange. You either have to invest in an extra starting caliber linebacker, or defensive tackle.

Heck, if Wilks stood up and said, the Cardinals base defense, or the one they will play the most is Nickel, then great.

Invest that starter resources into an elite nickel back.

It may be splitting hairs, but when it is time to choose players, it is the difference between going after, for the sake of example, Star Lotulelei or Derrick Johnson

I hope that makes more sense, LOL. Again, 100% agree with what you say above, tho.

EDIT: DAMN! After all that I forgot the whole 4-3 that the Falcons, Raiders, Seahawks, and Vikings run.

The Cardinals could, put Marcus Golden at SILB in some 4-3 packages, saving the team from getting that traditional SILB that you would put in a traditional 4-3

That is a great point, Rugby. You need versatile player with the defenses that are run in today’s game. I guess that’s one reason why it was such a success early on to have Deone Bucannon play linebacker since he never had to come of the field whether the coordinator called a base-, nickel-, dime- or something else defense, and also why it became a trend that spread throughout the league.

Like you mention, I think Anthony Barr is basically the perfect edge rusher because he can be used in almost any formation. Do you think that Reddick could play the same role, albeit on a lower level?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Do you think that Reddick could play the same role, albeit on a lower level?

My heart wants to say yes, my ass says no, and my head says to wait and see.

Reddick is young, and a great athlete, he has to become a football player next.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, for some people who have their head--you know where-- it's hard not to listen to it.:) not referring to anyone on this thread:D:eek::rolleyes:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals reportedly add Kirby Wilson, Charlie Harbison to coaching staff

The running back coach will be Kirby Wilson, who was let go by the Browns after the end of the 2017 season. Wilson spent two years in Cleveland after two years with the Vikings and has also worked for the Steelers, Cardinals, Buccaneers, Redskins and Patriots over the last two decades.

Marvez reports that Charlie Harbison will be the team’s cornerbacks coach. Harbison has coached in the college ranks since 1992, including stints as a co-defensive coordinator at Clemson and Auburn. This will be his first NFL job

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cardinals reportedly add Kirby Wilson, Charlie Harbison to coaching staff

The running back coach will be Kirby Wilson, who was let go by the Browns after the end of the 2017 season. Wilson spent two years in Cleveland after two years with the Vikings and has also worked for the Steelers, Cardinals, Buccaneers, Redskins and Patriots over the last two decades.

Marvez reports that Charlie Harbison will be the team’s cornerbacks coach. Harbison has coached in the college ranks since 1992, including stints as a co-defensive coordinator at Clemson and Auburn. This will be his first NFL job

I wanted to take a closer look at Charlie Harbison since I knew nothing about him. As I wrote the other day, I wanted defensive backs coach Nick Rapone to be retained on the staff, but none the less I found some interesting stuff about Harbison as well.

He has more than 25 years of experience at the collegiate level, as mentioned, having worked at college powerhouses like Mississippi State, Auburn, Clemson, Alabama and LSU. Twice he has been named one of the top recruiters in the nation by Rivals.com, and though that’s not really important with the Cardinals, I think it might say something about how he relate with players, and also that he has an eye for talent.

In his first stint with Clemson in 1995-1997 he worked as a secondary coach, and he molded safety Brian Dawkins into an All-American and ACC-leader in interceptions, and later a second round draft pick and a nine-times Pro Bowl selection. Harbison also coached cornerback Dexter McCleon into a second round draft pick and safety Antuan Edwards into a first round pick.

The first time he was employed by Alabama, 1998-2000, he coached the secondary into the best in the SEC, and in his second stint with the team, in 2003-2006, he coached their wide receivers. I have no doubt that has helped him in working with secondary players. In his first time around, he also helped cornerback Fernando Bryant become a first round draft selection and safety Tony Dixon become a second round pick.

While he was the defensive backs coach at LSU in 2001-2002 he helped making cornerback Corey Webster into a second round draft pick, and the team had one of the best pass defenses in the country.

In 2008 where he was the defensive coordinator at Mississippi they had a very good passing defense

From 2009-2012 he went back to Clemson to be the defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator. In those years he coached All-American safety DeAndre McDaniel as well as second round pick Marcus Gilchrist, cornerback Byron Maxwell, cornerback Coty Sensabaugh and safety Jonathan Meeks. The three mentioned first are still playing in the NFL after being drafted in 2011 and 2012 respectively while Meeks played for four seasons before being a free agent last year. In 2009 and 2010 Clemson had very good passing defenses, and the passing defense in 2011 is said to be one of the biggest reason why Clemson won the ACC.

I should say that when he was the co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Auburn in 2013 and 2014 they had bad passing defenses. Though, both year those units were good on third down, and in 2014 they also had one of the best red zone passing defenses in the country.

When he was the co-defensive coordinator at Louisiana Lafayette from 2015 to 2017 they never were a very good defense. However, in 2015 and 2016 they did field a good red zone passing defense.

Harbison is known to emphasize fundamental tackling and a hard-hitting attitude in addition to good coverage techniques by his safeties and corners. He is a highly respected teacher, and while at Auburn some fans stated that “Harbison is a dream assistant coach as he relates well with the players, understands football fundamentals, understands game play and, most importantly, understands how to teach the players how to properly play their position(s).”

Charlie Harbison is, for some reason, being called coach Cheese.

It seems to me that most places he has been in his long career he has had success, both with individual players and with the units he has coached.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I wanted to take a closer look at Charlie Harbison since I knew nothing about him. As I wrote the other day, I wanted defensive backs coach Nick Rapone to be retained on the staff, but none the less I found some interesting stuff about Harbison as well.

He has more than 25 years of experience at the collegiate level, as mentioned, having worked at college powerhouses like Mississippi State, Auburn, Clemson, Alabama and LSU. Twice he has been named one of the top recruiters in the nation by Rivals.com, and though that’s not really important with the Cardinals, I think it might say something about how he relate with players, and also that he has an eye for talent.

In his first stint with Clemson in 1995-1997 he worked as a secondary coach, and he molded safety Brian Dawkins into an All-American and ACC-leader in interceptions, and later a second round draft pick and a nine-times Pro Bowl selection. Harbison also coached cornerback Dexter McCleon into a second round draft pick and safety Antuan Edwards into a first round pick.

The first time he was employed by Alabama, 1998-2000, he coached the secondary into the best in the SEC, and in his second stint with the team, in 2003-2006, he coached their wide receivers. I have no doubt that has helped him in working with secondary players. In his first time around, he also helped cornerback Fernando Bryant become a first round draft selection and safety Tony Dixon become a second round pick.

While he was the defensive backs coach at LSU in 2001-2002 he helped making cornerback Corey Webster into a second round draft pick, and the team had one of the best pass defenses in the country.

In 2008 where he was the defensive coordinator at Mississippi they had a very good passing defense

From 2009-2012 he went back to Clemson to be the defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator. In those years he coached All-American safety DeAndre McDaniel as well as second round pick Marcus Gilchrist, cornerback Byron Maxwell, cornerback Coty Sensabaugh and safety Jonathan Meeks. The three mentioned first are still playing in the NFL after being drafted in 2011 and 2012 respectively while Meeks played for four seasons before being a free agent last year. In 2009 and 2010 Clemson had very good passing defenses, and the passing defense in 2011 is said to be one of the biggest reason why Clemson won the ACC.

I should say that when he was the co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Auburn in 2013 and 2014 they had bad passing defenses. Though, both year those units were good on third down, and in 2014 they also had one of the best red zone passing defenses in the country.

When he was the co-defensive coordinator at Louisiana Lafayette from 2015 to 2017 they never were a very good defense. However, in 2015 and 2016 they did field a good red zone passing defense.

Harbison is known to emphasize fundamental tackling and a hard-hitting attitude in addition to good coverage techniques by his safeties and corners. He is a highly respected teacher, and while at Auburn some fans stated that “Harbison is a dream assistant coach as he relates well with the players, understands football fundamentals, understands game play and, most importantly, understands how to teach the players how to properly play their position(s).”

Charlie Harbison is, for some reason, being called coach Cheese.

It seems to me that most places he has been in his long career he has had success, both with individual players and with the units he has coached.

Excellent info on Charlie Harrison, Gandhi! I think this is a fascinating hire. A teacher of fundamentals who can relate to players of a all kinds is made to order for this position.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Still some vacancies there

Any news?

Yes. I don’t know the website FootballScoop and how reliable it is, but they are saying that both Cam Turner and Ben Burress will be added to Steve Wilks’ staff. Both have been employed by the Panthers.

Cam Turner is the nephew of Norv Turner. He spent last season as the assistant quarterback coach, and before that he was an assistant wide receiver coach for two years, both jobs were with the Panthers. He has also been with the Vikings, where he was an assistant to the head coach – not to be confused with being an assistant head coach. Turner has three years of coaching experience at the collegiate level, including at his alma mater, The Citadel, that is a military college, so I guess he knows a thing or two about discipline.

I simply don’t know who Ben Burress is or what he has done with the Panthers. I guess he has worked in their supporting staff or something like that.

The rumor doesn’t say what role the two of them would have with the Cardinals.

wildcardinals

Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...inals-jason-michael/cld7vtb74m4d1kkh0xxncomtz

Cardinals land Jason Michael as TE coach, source says; Cowboys were in pursuit

A source told Sporting News on Tuesday that Michael will be joining the staff of new Arizona head coach Steve Wilks. He will replace Rick Christophel, who wasn't retained by Wilks.

Michael, 39, had spent the previous two seasons as the Titans' quarterbacks coach after serving as their offensive coordinator in 2014 and 2015. He previously served as tight ends coach with the Chargers (2011-13), Titans (2008) and Jets (2007).

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinals hire Troy Rothenbuhler as offensive quality control coach

The Cardinals have hired Troy Rothenbuhler as their new offensive quality control coach, Josh Weinfuss of ESPN reports.

Rothenbuhler has never coached in the NFL.

He spent the past seven seasons at the University of Findlay, serving as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Rothenbuhler started his career as a student assistant at Ohio State, assisting with the wide receivers from 1992-94. The Buckeyes promoted him to a graduate assistant for the 1995-96 seasons, and he assisted with the quarterbacks and tight ends.

Rothenbuhler also has coached at Arkansas State, Heidelberg College, Ohio Northern and Bowling Green.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson