Wildly Irresponsible NLDS Predictions

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I am going to put my money where my mouth is and try to get stupidly specific in my predictions. I fully expect to be ridiculed, but I need something to occupy my time between now and Saturday. Feel free to add your own irresponsible speculation below!

NLDS Outcome: D-Backs: 3, Brewers: 1

Game 1: Kennedy (W) vs. Gallardo (L)

Pitching duel goes into the 6th inning before the D-Backs finally string together a couple of runs. Gallardo is pulled when his spot in the line-up comes up and the D-Backs add a late insurance run. Chris Young, of all people, gets his bat going and has a big day (3-4 with 2 RBI). Kennedy gets a complete game. D-Backs win 3-1.

Game 2: Hudson (L) vs. Marcum (W)

The Brewers are so worried about Grienke's performance at home vs. the road, they toy with moving him up on three day's rest. Unfortunately, since the D-Backs forced the issue to the last day of the season, he had to go longer than desired and will be unavailable. Marcum, who is less comfortable at home gets the ball. It doesn't matter, as Hudson is shelled early and often. He is chased in the 4th inning after Fielder's second homerun. Brewers win 8-4.

Game 3: Saunders (ND) vs. Grienke (L)

Grienke is a headcase and hates pitching on the road. Despite that, he puts together five good innings. Saunders keeps runs off the board, but does so at the expense of a high pitch count. He is yanked after the 5th inning with the score tied 0-0. Montero finally breaks the stalemate in the 6th and the floodgates open. D-Backs crush the Brewers for the rest of the game, winning 6-1.

Game 4: Collmenter (W) vs. Gallardo (L)

Backs against the wall, the Brewers send out Gallardo to try and get the series back home. If they win, Grienke will be getting the ball at home for the decisive Game 5. After taxing the bullpen in the last 2 games, the D-Backs consider going in for the kill with Kennedy, but ultimately run out Collmenter, who has owned the Brew Crew this season. He continues to baffle their bats and Upton finally has a post-season MVP moment with a big 3-run HR. Putz comes in to shut down Braun and Fielder in the bottom of the 9th. D-Backs win 3-2.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it!!

If the Dbacks win the series, it will be in 4

OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Also, MLB gets to control whether the roof is open or closed. There was some controversy in Houston a few years ago when the Commissioner ordered their roof open, despite the home team's desire to keep it closed. I wonder if Selig learned his lesson. I predict he hasn't. Brewers are gonna be pissed. D-Backs won't care.

Post Season

For all games in the postseason (Division Series, League Championship Series, World Series), the Commissioner or his designee shall make all decisions regarding roof/wall panel movement, in consultation with the home Club and the umpire crew chief. The home Club shall provide to the Baseball Operations department the name of the individual responsible for the movement of the roof/wall panels. The Commissioner or his designee shall take into account the criteria that the home Club uses during the championship season, as reflected on the Club’s filing with the MLB Baseball Operations Department.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crisper57

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I am going to put my money where my mouth is and try to get stupidly specific in my predictions. I fully expect to be ridiculed, but I need something to occupy my time between now and Saturday. Feel free to add your own irresponsible speculation below!

NLDS Outcome: D-Backs: 3, Brewers: 1

Game 1: Kennedy (W) vs. Gallardo (L)

Pitching duel goes into the 6th inning before the D-Backs finally string together a couple of runs. Gallardo is pulled when his spot in the line-up comes up and the D-Backs add a late insurance run. Chris Young, of all people, gets his bat going and has a big day (3-4 with 2 RBI). Kennedy gets a complete game. D-Backs win 3-1.

Game 2: Hudson (L) vs. Marcum (W)

The Brewers are so worried about Grienke's performance at home vs. the road, they toy with moving him up on three day's rest. Unfortunately, since the D-Backs forced the issue to the last day of the season, he had to go longer than desired and will be unavailable. Marcum, who is less comfortable at home gets the ball. It doesn't matter, as Hudson is shelled early and often. He is chased in the 4th inning after Fielder's second homerun. Brewers win 8-4.

Game 3: Saunders (ND) vs. Grienke (L)

Grienke is a headcase and hates pitching on the road. Despite that, he puts together five good innings. Saunders keeps runs off the board, but does so at the expense of a high pitch count. He is yanked after the 5th inning with the score tied 0-0. Montero finally breaks the stalemate in the 6th and the floodgates open. D-Backs crush the Brewers for the rest of the game, winning 6-1.

Game 4: Collmenter (W) vs. Gallardo (L)

Backs against the wall, the Brewers send out Gallardo to try and get the series back home. If they win, Grienke will be getting the ball at home for the decisive Game 5. After taxing the bullpen in the last 2 games, the D-Backs consider going in for the kill with Kennedy, but ultimately run out Collmenter, who has owned the Brew Crew this season. He continues to baffle their bats and Upton finally has a post-season MVP moment with a big 3-run HR. Putz comes in to shut down Braun and Fielder in the bottom of the 9th. D-Backs win 3-2.

After 4 games, let's review.

Game 1: Well, I was right that it was tight until the 6th, but I was wrong about which Pitcher would give in. I was right about Chris Young getting hot, but I picked the wrong game.

Game 2: I pretty much called for Hudson getting shelled. And I did correctly guess that the Brewers would win pretty big. Didn't get the Brewer's starting pitching right.

Game 3: Was wrong picking the starters, again. But I did call Collmenter baffling the Brewers in my Game 4 prediction.

Game 4: Was closer to my Game 3 prediction, except Saunders didn't keep the Brewers off the board. He did get a high pitch count early. The floodgates did open, but it happened in the 1st inning for the D-Backs.

I didn't do that great of a job with my prediction, so I won't venture a guess for Game 5.