Why???

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Why should I believe that even signing 2 or 3 really good players is going to make this team a contender? What quality pieces do we have now besides Webb?

We have no bullpen, no power, one descent starter.........

Julio @#$%$#

Why should I feel confident in Melvin's ability to lead a contending team?

Why would I pay even bargain basement prices for old purple gear when I know the team is switching to red next year?

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot.

Those red hats are probably going to make everybody play better.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Why should I believe that even signing 2 or 3 really good players is going to make this team a contender? What quality pieces do we have now besides Webb?

We have no bullpen, no power, one descent starter.........
Because of five names - Drew, Quentin, Young, Jackson, and Tracy. All those guys have bright futures ahead of them, but all of them are still young so they will need a little more time and that's to be expected. However, the team still needs to find a middle of the order bat and a few quality starters.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Because of five names - Drew, Quentin, Young, Jackson, and Tracy. All those guys have bright futures ahead of them, but all of them are still young so they will need a little more time and that's to be expected. However, the team still needs to find a middle of the order bat and a few quality starters.

Maybe, but I bet at least 2 of those 5 are gone within 3 years.

At this point Drew may be the closest to a sure thing but all the others have problems. Quentin has not been impressive at all since his first week up and I'm not sure Tracey or Cojack will ever produce the power numbers you expect from corner infielders.

Best bet 3 of these guys turn into really good every day players but I don't see it happening for any of them next year.

Vet teams win championships.

I'm not jumping overboard I just don't think we're a couple of players away.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I think 4 of those guys will stay and do well for us. We need to trade Tracy or Jackson and get a power bat for one of those positions. I actually like our bullpen a lot if we can get another pitcher and not have to overwork them so much. I like the guys we have in there and this new lefty, Slaten sounds really good. I think we need a couple more pitchers and a power bat and we should be good with the young guys we have. I'm not worried about Quentin's struggles. It should've been expected.

And I never expected them to actually compete next year. They'll be competing in the division and maybe make the playoffs, but that's it. The players need time to grow. I think in 3 years this team will be true contenders.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that it really matters since the rest of this year is just for letting the rookies get used to the majors, but Quentin's current average is deceptively low, just look at his OBP and SLG.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Vet teams win championships.

I'm not jumping overboard I just don't think we're a couple of players away.

I'm pretty sure that Marlins team that won a few years back was not a veteran team.

The more correct statement is: Pitching wins championships.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
green machine said:
I'm pretty sure that Marlins team that won a few years back was not a veteran team.

The more correct statement is: Pitching wins championships.

How about, "Veteran piching wins championships."

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
green machine said:
That Marlins rotation of Beckett/Burnett/Willis and I can't remember who else wasn't veterany. :)

Exception to the Rule!

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
small market teams will (and we are a small market for baseball) only win once every 6 or 7 years until baseball puts in a salary cap. and that will NEVER happen now that salaries are out of control for the big markets. our attendence here in az will keep dwindling and so will our team salary. baseball needs to wake up because they are about to fall behind basketball in terms of american sports

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
How about the fact that they will have some money to spend this offseason and will be able to fill in the gaps. I think that the young guys will impress you next year. Its just a matter of signing the right guys to go along with them.