Why I don't want Durant

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Misuse of literally drives me insane. Figuratively.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, for me.

I think the current backlash against using literally for exagerration purposes is the real problem here. Educated and well-respected English speaking authors have used this word in this manner for hundreds of years but for some reason about 40 years ago, some educators began to take writers to task for doing so. And IMO this backlash was done out of ignorance.

I dislike the misuse of the word when it's simply the wrong word choice but it can and has served a literary purpose for centuries now. Under this thinking, it's acceptable to say "I was so surprised I literally jumped over the moon" but it's in error to say "I literally crossed the street when I saw him". If it's something reasonable, using literal is inappropriate but if you want to show something fantastical to drive the point home, it's often the best word choice IMO.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
I wasnt using it in an exaggerated context. They did allow him in the building as a spectator despite not letting him play and its not possible to fairly critique him not playing without discussing the politics surrounding it considering it was not a league-wide rule. Its not my problem you assume facts are opinions or figurative.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wasnt using it in an exaggerated context. They did allow him in the building as a spectator despite not letting him play and its not possible to fairly critique him not playing without discussing the politics surrounding it considering it was not a league-wide rule. Its not my problem you assume facts are opinions or figurative.
The vax stuff can get really escalatory. Like politics and religion, best for the board to just not touch it here.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I’m out on this trade. If you keep Ayton and can add him great but idk about getting rid of 3 talented 20 somethings Ayton, Bridges, Cam and 7 years worth of picks for a guy who’s already past his prime

It just seems silly the more I think about it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about the more I’m out on this trade. If you keep Ayton and can add him great but idk about getting rid of 3 talented 20 somethings Ayton, Bridges, Cam and 7 years worth of picks for a guy who’s already past his prime

It just seems silly the more I think about it

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I’m out on this trade. If you keep Ayton and can add him great but idk about getting rid of 3 talented 20 somethings Ayton, Bridges, Cam and 7 years worth of picks for a guy who’s already past his prime

It just seems silly the more I think about it.

I am pretty sure that trade is not what James Jones (or anyone) would actually do.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that trade is not what James Jones (or anyone) would actually do.
Me too. But I've been pretty sure that JJ wouldn't just give away Ayton for minimal value yet everyone keeps saying that's where we're going. So, I'm clinging to my opinion on each of these matters but still trying to find rational reasons for why we might give away our future for Durant while parting ways with Ayton for peanuts.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There is no way the Suns get rid of Bridges and Johnson. One of them is gone. If it's Cam, they will lose more picks. If it's Bridges, it will be fewer picks. Ayton is gone, but he will bring something in return. It's not Ayton, Johnson, Bridges, and seven picks for Durant. If the Suns were offering both wings and seven picks, the trade would have been completed the day it was possible to complete trades.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter who goes where. If all 3 of those guys are gone and your return is KD that’s what you did
Repeating what Stefan said, I don’t think anyone is advocating doing what you’re suggesting.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There is no way the Suns get rid of Bridges and Johnson. One of them is gone. If it's Cam, they will lose more picks. If it's Bridges, it will be fewer picks. Ayton is gone, but he will bring something in return. It's not Ayton, Johnson, Bridges, and seven picks for Durant. If the Suns were offering both wings and seven picks, the trade would have been completed the day it was possible to complete trades.
That is my belief as well. It’s a wings league and JJ isn’t giving up both of the twins. With KD plus retaining one of the gunners Booker will never have an easier time getting buckets. It wouldn’t be fair from an offensive perspective.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A) I don’t think a single poster would support that outcome.
B) I don’t think jones would seriously consider that outcome.

What’s his choice.

Let’s say you deal Ayton for assets. That’s what everybody is saying anyway.

So Ayton is now gone.

The Nets say we want Cam+Mikal or it’s a 3 team trade Mikal goes wherever and Cam goes wherever and you end up with KD

If your JJ you trade Ayton are you gonna let Bridges and Cam stand in the way of you getting KD? Say you trade Ayton and you don’t get KD what’s your offseason looking like now?

I think we’re painting ourselves into a corner here.

I’m a Suns fan it’s in my nature to expect the worst possible outcome.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What’s his choice.

Let’s say you deal Ayton for assets. That’s what everybody is saying anyway.

So Ayton is now gone.

The Nets say we want Cam+Mikal or it’s a 3 team trade Mikal goes wherever and Cam goes wherever and you end up with KD

If your JJ you trade Ayton are you gonna let Bridges and Cam stand in the way of you getting KD? Say you trade Ayton and you don’t get KD what’s your offseason looking like now?

I think we’re painting ourselves into a corner here.

I’m a Suns fan it’s in my nature to expect the worst possible outcome.
I guess that latter deal depends on the earlier deal. Did he get a reasonable replacement for one of the twins in the Ayton deal? Can he flip that player instead of one of the twins or in lieu of both? Essentially I’m expecting James jones doesn’t get taken to the cleaners. As a suns fan I know that’s silly. As a sports fan I can still think reasonably. For instance, if we were offering those two and all those picks, I agree with the earlier poster, the deal would’ve been made already. So obviously jones is trying not to do that.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't want Durant because this crap has dragged on long enough.. I get its a business blah blah but its time to move on.

Reaction score
Someone stated that Russell Westbrook is a top-ten player. I don't have the patience to scroll back 7-10 pages to find that (I did try a search); but I disagree. Westbrook is top-ten only in the same sense that Allen Iverson was top-ten. That is, top-ten if you willingly ignore whether the player is effective in leading his team or helping his team to championships. As far as I remember, Iverson got near a title only once, with the 76ers; and Westbrook got to the finals once with the Thunder. When such great players usually get nowhere near a championship, something's not right. I feel more comfortable lumping Iverson and Westbrook with Charles Barkley as "greatest players to never win a championship." I think I can say the same thing about James Harden in his prime.

At least with Chris Paul in his prime, I can credibly think it was probably due to injuries.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone stated that Russell Westbrook is a top-ten player. I don't have the patience to scroll back 7-10 pages to find that (I did try a search); but I disagree. Westbrook is top-ten only in the same sense that Allen Iverson was top-ten. That is, top-ten if you willingly ignore whether the player is effective in leading his team or helping his team to championships. As far as I remember, Iverson got near a title only once, with the 76ers; and Westbrook got to the finals once with the Thunder. When such great players usually get nowhere near a championship, something's not right. I feel more comfortable lumping Iverson and Westbrook with Charles Barkley as "greatest players to never win a championship." I think I can say the same thing about James Harden in his prime.

At least with Chris Paul in his prime, I can credibly think it was probably due to injuries.

This is a team game.

Who did Iverson have with him in his prime? Theo Ratliff and Eric Snow? Going up against prime Kobe and Shaq

Same with Barkley. One hall of famer going up against 2 usually isn’t going to go well

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This is a team game.

Who did Iverson have with him in his prime? Theo Ratliff and Eric Snow? Going up against prime Kobe and Shaq

Same with Barkley. One hall of famer going up against 2 usually isn’t going to go well
Would have loved to have seen prime AI with another great offensive player. He did most of what he did while facing a lot of help defense and having to completely carry the load offensively. Westbrook only had to do that for a couple years in his career.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose