Why I’m not too upset

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the simple way to do it is to franchise tag Humphries. That way we have an insurance policy if someone trades ahead of us or whatever. Castonzo will be 32, but still in line for a multi-year deal, if he's not franchised himself.

I've personally learned enough lessons from broadcasting a team need through guys like Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes to never want to endure that again. Heck, it even happened with Shane Ray some years back.

Looking at 2020 tag projections, the OL franchise tag is $16M and change. That is a lot of scratch to use up on Humphries.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
@overseascardfan, I agree, we're in a bind. Always the potential of an upset or two, but the Jets, Falcons, and Giants could win a couple more. I don't see the Dolphins doing it, but a top five pick wouldn't surprise me.

The Jets have the Redskins, Miami, and Cincy left on their schedule, games you've gotta like them to have a chance in. The Giants have the Bears, Dolphins, Redskins. The Falcons have at least the Bucs. With our tiebreaker and tie, I don't think they end up better than us, but they have the offense for it.

We really only have the Browns to look at optimistically.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Looking at 2020 tag projections, the OL franchise tag is $16M and change. That is a lot of scratch to use up on Humphries.
I surely agree, but who do you band-aid the situation with in case we don't get the LT we want in the draft? Remember, we have to sign two OTs next year. Humphries on the tag could let us either move him to RT for a year if we drafted a top-tier LT, or move the rookie to RT for a year.

Either way we would get a chance to defer the decision for a year and find an alternative.

The world of free agent OTs isn't very compelling this offseason.

Reaction score
We need to resign Hump. You don't let quality LT's go. Otherwise he'll go elsewhere & be decent & people will be whining that we never keep our draft picks.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Aside from responses of "he is the best LT we got" or "starting LT's make $15M a year, that's the way it is", what makes Humphries indispensable to ARZ? Pugh & Sweezey have higher PFF grades so far this season, Humphries comes in with a grade of 61.1, that is not a guy you pay $12M - $15M a year. I would rather pay Anthony Costanzo that kind of money as he would be worth it. ARZ could get a LT in Round 2 or trade up and get one late in Round 1 like Austin Jackson of USC.

Well he's playing pretty decently, isn't he? I know he's had some penalty issues, but he's stayed healthy this year, and he's still young at 25. I'm pretty sure he hasn't given up that many sacks, and he's doing okay in the run game too.

I just don't want to destabilize the LT position, or, put a ton of resources into the offensive line, and I think long term it would be best for the team if we could lock him up for four or five years at a really reasonable price.

I don't want the league's best offensive line. I want the league's best front seven. Desert Swarm 2.0.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Well he's playing pretty decently, isn't he? I know he's had some penalty issues, but he's stayed healthy this year, and he's still young at 25. I'm pretty sure he hasn't given up that many sacks, and he's doing okay in the run game too.

I just don't want to destabilize the LT position, or, put a ton of resources into the offensive line, and I think long term it would be best for the team if we could lock him up for four or five years at a really reasonable price.

I don't want the league's best offensive line. I want the league's best front seven. Desert Swarm 2.0.

Why spend the pick on KM and then not draft to give him the best protection to do his thing?A better offensive line is still needed.Defensive line needs help too.Damned if you do and damned if you don`t.Cards don`t have enough draft picks to really fix everything and Free agency has proven to be a mixed bag for the Cards.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Why spend the pick on KM and then not draft to give him the best protection to do his thing?A better offensive line is still needed.Defensive line needs help too.Damned if you do and damned if you don`t.Cards don`t have enough draft picks to really fix everything and Free agency has proven to be a mixed bag for the Cards.

Honestly BW52, K1 is doing okay behind this group. If Cole works out at G, then maybe all we really have to do is upgrade the C position.

Let's see how the oline plays the rest of the year before we finalize our strategy for the 2020 draft and FA.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Saw Murray's presser after the game, his tone of voice and mannerism showed how he hates losing. Then he proceeds to deflect the question if he has faith in his defense and says he has complete faith in them. I do not know what Casserly was shoveling about the guy but one could never be so off. On the ill fated throw which resulted in a pick, he knew where his WR was suppose to be and unfortunately his target tripped on route. He's a leader and knows his playbook and obviously watches film. I had apprehension drafting him and turning everything a complete 360 but everything so far shows the Cardinals never made more of a proper choice in the draft at the most important position... I am so happy we drafted him

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Honestly BW52, K1 is doing okay behind this group. If Cole works out at G, then maybe all we really have to do is upgrade the C position.

Let's see how the oline plays the rest of the year before we finalize our strategy for the 2020 draft and FA.
Keep in mind we need a right tackle too. Pugh is not a full-time RT.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can see why some are excited, but I'm not there yet. After last week I was feeling pretty good, after today I don't. At the end of the day, I need to feel like we can win against any decent team any week within reason, and we just can't hang on against even the worst of competition. I know a lot of you are hanging your hat on moral victories and being able to move the ball, but our defense has regressed, and we still have a ton of major holes.

I just don't see how we fill them with Keim, and coaching across the board has me very concerned.
We need to build this defense solar 7. That's where we should start first. Our offense is scoring enough to win or stay in games, our defense is what's failing us. That's not to say we don't need more on offense though.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Fix the defense, add to the offense in key spot or three. This year is a red shirt year so to speak. 2020 is where they need to make that jump

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We need to build this defense solar 7. That's where we should start first. Our offense is scoring enough to win or stay in games, our defense is what's failing us. That's not to say we don't need more on offense though.
I won't argue, but KM still needs protection, and will only devolve into bad habits if there's continuing plays where his best idea of a blocker is to shout that he should look out.

We have many holes. We don't want who is arguably our most important player to get hurt because we didn't invest in him, or for him to lose his mechanics.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Humphries is #1 in NFL in one thing, penalties. He has 11 on the year. He's only allowed one sack but despite Murray being sacked 31 times no other Cardinal OL has more than one either except for Justin Murray with 3.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I surely agree, but who do you band-aid the situation with in case we don't get the LT we want in the draft? Remember, we have to sign two OTs next year. Humphries on the tag could let us either move him to RT for a year if we drafted a top-tier LT, or move the rookie to RT for a year.

Either way we would get a chance to defer the decision for a year and find an alternative.

The world of free agent OTs isn't very compelling this offseason.

If you don't get Thomas, trade down for either Wirfs or Austin Jackson. ARZ should be able to get one of them. No need for a FA band aid unless we have a shot at Costanzo.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you don't get Thomas, trade down for either Wirfs or Austin Jackson. ARZ should be able to get one of them. No need for a FA band aid unless we have a shot at Costanzo.
You say trade down, but what if there are no trade partners willing to give us something? What if we trade down and while the rest of the league knows we HAVE to pick up a tackle, they trade right in front of us? What if he's gone and we have a blue chip player staring us in the face, but we have no one to block for our prized QB (see Levi Brown vs. Adrian Peterson)?

It's not only that, but trusting Keim to make these moves in a world where he gets cute as hell all the time... I'm not loving it.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I won't argue, but KM still needs protection, and will only devolve into bad habits if there's continuing plays where his best idea of a blocker is to shout that he should look out.

We have many holes. We don't want who is arguably our most important player to get hurt because we didn't invest in him, or for him to lose his mechanics.
I totally agree. He seemed to be running for his life on most pass plays Sunday because Pugh couldn't handle Barrett one on one, understandable because he's a Guard. Makes me sick that Marcus Gilbert got hurt so early & wonder how good this OL would've been had he not? But that was kind of expected since prior to this season, he had only played in 16 games in like 3 yrs. Hopefully Justin Murray comes back soon? Not that he's a world class OT or anything but he's did a decent job in most games he played. The 49ers are going to be pissed Sunday after losing tonight.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Humphries is #1 in NFL in one thing, penalties. He has 11 on the year. He's only allowed one sack but despite Murray being sacked 31 times no other Cardinal OL has more than one either except for Justin Murray with 3.

Humphries is a very good run blocker, and it's no mystery our biggest runs where towards his direction

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Keep in mind we need a right tackle too. Pugh is not a full-time RT.

100% agree, unless they decide to move Pugh to RT permanently. I'm not even sure if this is an option Solar7, but he stays there the rest of the year, and plays well, why not at least consider it?

Appreciate the thoughtful posts on the olline by the way. I agree with you that we should not let Humphries go, "hoping" that we can successfully obtain our LTOTF in the 2020 draft. That sounds like a very dangerous strategy to me too.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Yes you have to run the ball. BUT, when a defense is exceptionally good at something why beat your head against the wall? Attack their weakness, which is what we did. We did not lose this game because we couldn’t run the ball. We lost because we made too many mistakes.

I understand your theory but it doesn’t hold a drop of water in regards to this game.
If you want to win you run, So what about when we ain’t facing the best run defense?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to win you run, So what about when we ain’t facing the best run defense?
What KK said many times is if we have to run the ball 40 times to win or throw it 40 times to win we will do so. We’ve had games this year where we dominated the run game. There were times where our run game was taken out of the game because we fell behind. If it was just that simple to win games by running the ball 60 times a game everyone would do it.

I remember a game where the Patriots threw the ball on the first 21 plays of the game. Why? Because that was the best way to attack that team. Yes, they won that game.

It’s really nice to watch a game when your team dominates the run game. But it’s excruciating to watch your team continue to run into a brick wall while falling behind 10, 14, or 17 points. To me it’s more important to run the ball, or be able to, when you have to.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
What KK said many times is if we have to run the ball 40 times to win or throw it 40 times to win we will do so. We’ve had games this year where we dominated the run game. There were times where our run game was taken out of the game because we fell behind. If it was just that simple to win games by running the ball 60 times a game everyone would do it.

I remember a game where the Patriots threw the ball on the first 21 plays of the game. Why? Because that was the best way to attack that team. Yes, they won that game.

It’s really nice to watch a game when your team dominates the run game. But it’s excruciating to watch your team continue to run into a brick wall while falling behind 10, 14, or 17 points. To me it’s more important to run the ball, or be able to, when you have to.

Our game is rpo, play action - I don’t want to run every down, but I do not want 3-1 under any circumstance - 3 and put kill our sorry defense

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

No its Kyler Murray! If we had thr great Jared Goff and his 32 TDs last year the Cardinals would be great

<end troll>

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No its Kyler Murray! If we had thr great Jared Goff and his 32 TDs last year the Cardinals would be great

<end troll>
Are you really saying that we'd be worse off with a QB who threw 32 TDs?

...That is 3 shy of the Cardinals FRANCHISE RECORD.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave