Why did Suns Collapse in Playoffs?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. Because I’m a glutton for punishment I watched and listened to a lot of it. You had guys who thought we were weak all year gloating and all of our supporters just beyond stunned and having to admit how wrong they were. Simmons and Russillo sounded like they were coming back from a funeral when they did their pod the next day.

Ha

I took it all in to. I was listening to a podcast while I was shaving and my wife walked by and said “why are you doing this to yourself”

This is my life. ASU in the Rose Bowl, the Cardinals in the Super Bowl, The 90s Suns the 2000s Suns, The Suns up 2-0 last year.

No matter how good it starts it ends in heart break over and over

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless we make major changes we can win 70 games and we will get no respect at all from the national media they’ll call us frauds all year

And we deserve it
Only a title wipes away this shame. Same as it was for Dirk all those years after his 67 win team lost in the first round.

That’s what the Suns team is compared to now… the Sonics that became the first 1 to ever lose to an 8 seed and the 2006 Mavs. That’s how unbelievably pathetic our Game 7 loss was and collapse that preceded it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree, but so what? Why are you caring so much about it?
Who said I am? I just wrote what I’ve experienced after the loss.

Not everything needs to be a fight Chap.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Who said I am? I just wrote what I’ve experienced after the loss.

Not everything needs to be a fight Chap.
Huh? You are complaining that the national media thinks we are a laughing stock. Which they are. I'm am arguing that we may be a laughing stock, but I don't think the national media cares. I don't think they care about the Suns period, honestly. But you are arguing that they DO care and that we will have this "reputation" moving forward.

"Not everything needs to be a fight." LOL A little surprised you think this constitutes a "fight."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Huh? You are complaining that the national media thinks we are a laughing stock. Which they are. I'm am arguing that we may be a laughing stock, but I don't think the national media cares. I don't think they care about the Suns period, honestly. But you are arguing that they DO care and that we will have this "reputation" moving forward.

"Not everything needs to be a fight." LOL A little surprised you think this constitutes a "fight."
I know you’re going to chalk this up to taking my brothers side, but so far every single day that I’ve listened to NBA radio there’s been discussion of the suns implosion, Chris Paul’s failure, or Ayton being gone in every program. Every day. Every program. And I’m not in my car all day. So yeah, they do care. I don’t know why you are arguing against this. It’s a huge story.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nevermind dude.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know you’re going to chalk this up to taking my brothers side, but so far every single day that I’ve listened to NBA radio there’s been discussion of the suns implosion, Chris Paul’s failure, or Ayton being gone in every program. Every day. Every program. And I’m not in my car all day. So yeah, they do care. I don’t know why you are arguing against this. It’s a huge story.

lol

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The media is fickle. They jump on and off the bandwagon in the blink of an eye.

Suns didn't lose in the first round or lose 4-0 in the second round.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The media is, well the media. They need topics to stay relevant, most of them are hot takes when they never followed the suns all year. Take all of it with a grain of salt as the suns are tight lipped on just about everything. Just listen to flex and things will be alright.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The media is fickle. They jump on and off the bandwagon in the blink of an eye.

Suns didn't lose in the first round or lose 4-0 in the second round.
No… they just had a massive collapse, blowing a 2-0 lead to a team they bested by 13 games in the regular season, won 12 games in a row again and punctuated by literally, the worst game 7 home peroformance in 60 years.

Trying to paint that as anything but completely pathetic considering how they dominated the regular season is an exercise in futility.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No… they just had a massive collapse, blowing a 2-0 lead to a team they bested by 13 games in the regular season, won 12 games in a row again and punctuated by literally, the worst game 7 home peroformance in 60 years.

Trying to paint that as anything but completely pathetic considering how they dominated the regular season is an exercise in futility.

But you’re changing the narrative. Nobody is saying it isn’t pathetic or not a big deal. For Suns fans, it definitely is a big deal.

We are simply saying the national media is going to move on, if they haven’t already.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you’re changing the narrative. Nobody is saying it isn’t pathetic or not a big deal. For Suns fans, it definitely is a big deal.

We are simply saying the national media is going to move on, if they haven’t already.

Exactly! The national narrative has changed. A part of that is the conference finals going now but also the Suns weren't exactly media darlings before hand. They got more coverage than the Heat but they really weren't talked about much despite being viewed as contenders.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we tend to project our personal embarrassment. The Suns collapse was a big topic but will fade and just live on in “lists.” I’ve been away from the Phoenix market for over 25 years and I’ve never really heard them portrayed on the outside the way the Kings are and the Clippers were (and sometime still are).

Not saying we can’t get there, but I hope not.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No one is trying to change the account of events.

I'm more concerned about why the Suns collapsed in game 7 than what the media says about it.

If I care about anyone in the media it's Charles Barkley who said the Suns would win the series finale. I've been waiting awhile for Charles to stand up for his former team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is trying to change the account of events.

I'm more concerned about why the Suns collapsed in game 7 than what the media says about it.

If I care about anyone in the media it's Charles Barkley who said the Suns would win the series finale. I've been waiting awhile for Charles to stand up for his former team.

Dude there is no standing up for this team

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude there is no standing up for this team
Not aimed at any one in particular. You can let the negativity beat you down or you can remember how much fun it was to watch this team all season. The negativity will still be there but that doesn't mean we have to be a part of it. We were a huge disappointment throughout the playoffs but life is filled with disappointment - beat it or it beats you.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not aimed at any one in particular. You can let the negativity beat you down or you can remember how much fun it was to watch this team all season. The negativity will still be there but that doesn't mean we have to be a part of it. We were a huge disappointment throughout the playoffs but life is filled with disappointment - beat it or it beats you.

Oh I’m not a negative person at all, but the reality of it is the regular season means nothing when you end like we did.

I won’t look back on this season 10 years from now and go Oh wow that was fun I’ll look back and wonder why it went sideways so fast.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I’m not a negative person at all, but the reality of it is the regular season means nothing when you end like we did.

I won’t look back on this season 10 years from now and go Oh wow that was fun I’ll look back and wonder why it went sideways so fast.
I'm sure you won't look back and go "wow that was fun" but that's actually a choice and a decision on your part. You still have those season long memories, you can still remember all the fun you had in the moment watching those games.

It's easy to separate the positive feelings during the season and the huge disappointment throughout the playoffs. It's a matter of choice IMO. Although if you focus on the justifiable negativity from sports media and other fans, it gets tougher to recall the daily enjoyment this season provided.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you won't look back and go "wow that was fun" but that's actually a choice and a decision on your part. You still have those season long memories, you can still remember all the fun you had in the moment watching those games.

It's easy to separate the positive feelings during the season and the huge disappointment throughout the playoffs. It's a matter of choice IMO. Although if you focus on the justifiable negativity from sports media and other fans, it gets tougher to recall the daily enjoyment this season provided.

I used to enjoy the Suns when they were bad. Sometimes fans confuse the love of the game with the media.

Many a game, training camp or summer league I would enjoy watching the young players compete.

There are some good young players that pass through on their way to the top.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Look, we are all pretty disgusted by the team right now, but 64 wins AND an 18-game win streak is something to be celebrated after the sour taste from the playoffs fades away. It just is. It's not a championship, but that is something we've had to live with for over 50 years.

We lost 4 in a row to the Bucks last year, but it doesn't take away from the accomplishments we made -- 2nd best record, sweeping the Nuggets, etc...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Look, we are all pretty disgusted by the team right now, but 64 wins AND an 18-game win streak is something to be celebrated after the sour taste from the playoffs fades away. It just is. It's not a championship, but that is something we've had to live with for over 50 years.

We lost 4 in a row to the Bucks last year, but it doesn't take away from the accomplishments we made -- 2nd best record, sweeping the Nuggets, etc...
Eh the regular season has never meant less than it does in 2022. Pacific division banners don’t move the meter.

I could live with losing to the Warriors in the WCF’s but completely flaming out the way they did makes the season un-celebratable for me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Exactly! The national narrative has changed. A part of that is the conference finals going now but also the Suns weren't exactly media darlings before hand. They got more coverage than the Heat but they really weren't talked about much despite being viewed as contenders.
I don’t think you were watching/listening to what I was watching/listening to. It took the better part of the season but suns were definitely media darlings at the end. No other way we end with top 4 finishers in all four of the major individual awards. Suns were literally in every conversation about the nba and playoffs and awards at seasons end.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Agreed. If you can't enjoy the journey, you shouldn't be a Suns fan. That's for sure.

It'll all be that much sweeter when we finally win it all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose