Why did Suns Collapse in Playoffs?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No excuses! A sore back doesn't make you miss layups and clank 3's. Dude needs to work on his confidence first
A sore back can make you bounce a check, pass gas in church, stub your toe and kick your dog. In all seriousness, I'm not aware of any physical activity that can't be limited by a sore back.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Suns were a different team after taking their foot off the accelerator at the end of the regular season. There was a lot of talk about it being a "revenge Tour" but when they playoff arrived I don't we saw any of the needed intensity.

In almost half their playoff games they appeared to be going through the motions, thinking they could flip on a switch and turn the intensity back on. Well, it didn't work that way, and I think you have to hold Monty Williams and the team's leaders - Booker and Paul and to a lesser degree, Crowder, Ayton and Bridges - accountable for that.

There was very little consistency or defensive intensity in the second round. And in the 6th and 7th games we saw none of it.
The Suns were a machine in the playoffs thru 8 games. I believe they were close to 50-40-90 as a team before game 3 vs Dallas despite missing Book for three games. They just got arrogant and choked after going up 2-0.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns were a machine in the playoffs thru 8 games. I believe they were close to 50-40-90 as a team before game 3 vs Dallas despite missing Book for three games. They just got arrogant and choked after going up 2-0.
Lol not a machine they played decent numbers but Pels gave them a hard time and Dallas shut our shooting down after they made adjustments. Monty makes little to no adjustments which is why we needed heroics from CP3 just to make it out of the first round! This team did NOT play well in the playoffs outside a few spurts here and there!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Lol not a machine they played decent numbers but Pels gave them a hard time and Dallas shut our shooting down after they made adjustments. Monty makes little to no adjustments which is why we needed heroics from CP3 just to make it out of the first round! This team did NOT play well in the playoffs outside a few spurts here and there!
The Suns averaged 115 PPG over their first 8 playoff games and shot 50% or better in every game. Three were without Book.

The Pelicans were very good by the time the playoffs started. They won two play-in games to face us and were a tough matchup. Not dominating them without Book was nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chris Paul wasn't effective the last couple of games against Dallas if not well before. Payne couldn't produce. It fell on Booker's shoulders but he was double and triple teamed. The Suns didn't have any other play makers. Ayton was nowhere to be found in game 7.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Chris Paul wasn't effective the last couple of games against Dallas if not well before. Payne couldn't produce. It fell on Booker's shoulders but he was double and triple teamed. The Suns didn't have any other play makers. Ayton was nowhere to be found in game 7.
He wasn’t effective starting in game 3 but he was the best player on the floor in game 2. Maybe he was hurt and maybe he wasn’t but what is Book’s excuse? He was lights out in the “Luka Special” game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn’t effective starting in game 3 but he was the best player on the floor in game 2. Maybe he was hurt and maybe he wasn’t but what is Book’s excuse? He was lights out in the “Luka Special” game.

We may never find out what happened but the Suns didn't play as a team in game 7.

Booker was reduced to being the sole play maker in the last game of the series. He was double and triple teamed. There has to be some running mates.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We may never find out what happened but the Suns didn't play as a team in game 7.

Booker was reduced to being the sole play maker in the last game of the series. He was double and triple teamed.

The more I think about it the more I get pissed at Cp3. He knew, the team knew something was up with him. And it was all too easy to double and triple him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I get pissed at Cp3. He knew, the team knew something was up with him. And it was all too easy to double and triple him.

There is a missing piece of the puzzle. Maybe we will find out later this summer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speak it into existence
Honestly, if the deal with the devil is we had to give up a title this year for Sarver to get booted, it probably works out for a lot of us in the long run health of the franchise.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
A sore back can make you bounce a check, pass gas in church, stub your toe and kick your dog. In all seriousness, I'm not aware of any physical activity that can't be limited by a sore back.
Uh, yeah. His quote sounds like somebody that's never had a sore back before.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We were down by 47 in game 7.

NOBODY was anywhere to be found lol.

Remember when the Cardinals went up to Seattle and got blown out by 58. The team totally quit on Whiz and I feel like they quit on Monty the same way

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were down by 47 in game 7.

NOBODY was anywhere to be found lol.

Remember when the Cardinals went up to Seattle and got blown out by 58. The team totally quit on Whiz and I feel like they quit on Monty the same way
47. The level of ineptitude won’t be forgotten in NBA circles for a long time.

I think that game cemented our claim and as the F’ed NBA Franchise of all time.

We’ve had three separate runs where we were the best or amongst the best teams in the league for a period… never won 1 title during any of those three stretches and each one is marred by truly AWFUL moments and heartbreak so specific (but different for each era) that are etched in NBA history forever.

No other NBA franchise is cursed like ours. 3-1 lead? Pshh.. we’ve blown a couple of those? 2-0 lead? Lost too many to remember. Lose a Game 7 on your home floor to a 3 pointer with 2 seconds left? Check. Lose Game 6 of the Finals on a buzzer beater repeated as naseum? Gotcha covered there. Lose the most pathetic embarassing Game 7 of all time. No one does it better than us.

We’ve got it all

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only saving grace for the Suns is that Memphis beat Golden State by 40 or so points a few days earlier and they led by over 50 in that game. Of course it wasn't a game 7 but I think that helped cushion the blow some from the national media.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only saving grace for the Suns is that Memphis beat Golden State by 40 or so points a few days earlier and they led by over 50 in that game. Of course it wasn't a game 7 but I think that helped cushion the blow some from the national media.
Lol… no it didn’t. No one cares about that since GS came back and won and will soon be in the Finals.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Lol… no it didn’t. No one cares about that since GS came back and won and will soon be in the Finals.
And you think national media cares one iota about the Suns and how they lost game 7? They didn't care about us when we were far and away the best team in the league, and they certainly don't give a crap about us now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh these guys are in such denial. Make no mistake the media cared about the way we lost. It gave them all content for the shows

We are the laughing stock of the NBA

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you think national media cares one iota about the Suns and how they lost game 7? They didn't care about us when we were far and away the best team in the league, and they certainly don't give a crap about us now.
Not sure if you listen to NBA Radio or watched any host of NBA show/podcast last week but we were getting trashed ALL WEEK... for good reason. Every NBA podcast I listened to through Wednesday was a breakdown of how the F the Suns not only lost to the Mavs up 2-0 but completely melted down.

And there’s been constant talk of “what now?” re: Ayton and how much does CP3 have left and that our window just slammed shut.

Regardless, GS’ loss ended up being meaningless to them since they not only advanced but look like they’re heading to the Finals. That’s what they’ll be remembered for… getting to the finals and what shappened there.

We’ll be remembered for a humiliating collapse after having our best season ever.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oh these guys are in such denial. Make no mistake the media cared about the way we lost. It gave them all content for the shows

Yup. Watch, even if we roll it all back next season we won’t be considered one of the contenders despite finishing with the beat and second best records the previous two seasons.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Watch, even if we roll it all back next season we won’t be considered one of the contenders despite finishing with the beat and second best records the previous two seasons.
Yeah, next year is going to be a challenge. It won't matter how we play during the season or who we beat, this embarrasing collapse will linger over us unless we do something about it. And I don't know if anything short of winning it all will put this loss to bed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah. Because I’m a glutton for punishment I watched and listened to a lot of it. You had guys who thought we were weak all year gloating and all of our supporters just beyond stunned and having to admit how wrong they were. Simmons and Russillo sounded like they were coming back from a funeral when they did their pod the next day.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Unless we make major changes we can win 70 games and we will get no respect at all from the national media they’ll call us frauds all year

And we deserve it

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not sure if you listen to NBA Radio or watched any host of NBA show/podcast last week but we were getting trashed ALL WEEK... for good reason. Every NBA podcast I listened to through Wednesday was a breakdown of how the F the Suns not only lost to the Mavs up 2-0 but completely melted down.

And there’s been constant talk of “what now?” re: Ayton and how much does CP3 have left and that our window just slammed shut.

Regardless, GS’ loss ended up being meaningless to them since they not only advanced but look like they’re heading to the Finals. That’s what they’ll be remembered for… getting to the finals and what shappened there.

We’ll be remembered for a humiliating collapse after having our best season ever.
I don't agree, but so what? Why are you caring so much about it?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah, next year is going to be a challenge. It won't matter how we play during the season or who we beat, this embarrasing collapse will linger over us unless we do something about it. And I don't know if anything short of winning it all will put this loss to bed.
Unless there’s some changes the regular season will be unbearable knowing that only May/June matter. That’s one full year from now.

I felt similar after 07’. After 06’ at least we found something in Diaw/Raja and had Amare coming back. Then the Spurs happened again and i was out of it emotionally going into 08’.