Why did Suns Collapse in Playoffs?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones full response about Deandre Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh. He’s been rather dismissive of the draft lately and now he wants back in. Rebuilding? Or recognition the only way to grow will be via the draft if you’re paying big $$$ to book, Ayton and the rest? I can’t read these tea leaves.

My read, he will look at trades.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones is again expected on Arizona Sports at 3:30 p.m.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones was asked about trade deadline strategy such as Eric Gordon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones is on next at Arizona Sports.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took some notes on the James Jones interview on Arrizona Sports:

1. Mavs executed and made shots which put the pressure on the Suns.

2 . Suns didn't have it to start game 7.

4. In regard to resting players, guys want to play. Other guys have to pick up the slack and be better.

5. Suns need better scoring, play making and balance to put pressure on the rim.

6. Ayton's free agency will be addressed at proper time. The same with Cam Johnson.

7. Jones believes Ayton wants to be back.

8. All roster options are OPEN.

The big takeaway for me was #5: The Suns need more scoring, play making and ability to get to the rim.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regards to number 4 - that is why you have a COACH. And a GM. to manage minutes.

The Suns seemed to only care about the regular season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regards to number 4 - that is why you have a COACH. And a GM. to manage minutes.

The Suns seemed to only care about the regular season.

As I heard it, it is more complicated. Guys want to play and not playing can cause players to be rusty. It's a balancing act.

Bottom line, other players have to do a better job of carrying the load.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
#5 nail on the head.

Aside from Book and Paul no one can create their own shot. Cam Payne was the other, but his confidence wasnt there this go around.

Shamet signing was a big head scratcher for the same reason.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#5 nail on the head.

Aside from Book and Paul no one can create their own shot. Cam Payne was the other, but his confidence wasnt there this go around.

Shamet signing was a big head scratcher for the same reason.

And more scoring, play making and penetration takes the pressure of Chris Paul and Devin Booker.

It also should help Ayton.

In regard to Shamet, I think the Suns thought they were getting a player on his way up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot run this back without major changes you just can’t.
I can't think of any major changes available to us that will solve our problems. We have a better chance of succeeding if we make tweaks and run it back, hoping that we repeat everything except our collapse. Not loving that idea but I'm not loving any of the major moves I can think of either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I took some notes on the James Jones interview on Arrizona Sports:

1. Mavs executed and made shots which put the pressure on the Suns.

2 . Suns didn't have it to start game 7.

4. In regard to resting players, guys want to play. Other guys have to pick up the slack and be better.

5. Suns need better scoring, play making and balance to put pressure on the rim.

6. Ayton's free agency will be addressed at proper time. The same with Cam Johnson.

7. Jones believes Ayton wants to be back.

8. All roster options are OPEN.

The big takeaway for me was #5: The Suns need more scoring, play making and ability to get to the rim.
I’ve been pounding the table for this for two years. Need more than two guys that can create shots and get to the rim.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You cannot run this back without major changes you just can’t.
If by major changes you mean blowing up the core or trading away a part of the core than I don't necessarily agree.

It all starts with what was going on with the team that caused the team to fall off at the end. If there is a truly detrimental personality amongst the core than absolutely that guy has to go, but if it's things that can be reconciled than we can simply look to reload and get a couple more consistent contributors and make another run.

The only caveat is that we may have only one more legit shot at a run with CP and thus we may need to make a splash move in order to make sure that we have the best chance possible.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If by major changes you mean blowing up the core or trading away a part of the core than I don't necessarily agree.

It all starts with what was going on with the team that caused the team to fall off at the end. If there is a truly detrimental personality amongst the core than absolutely that guy has to go, but if it's things that can be reconciled than we can simply look to reload and get a couple more consistent contributors and make another run.

The only caveat is that we may have only one more legit shot at a run with CP and thus we may need to make a splash move in order to make sure that we have the best chance possible.

But the reality is with CP3 leading the way we really don’t have a shot either

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the reality is with CP3 leading the way we really don’t have a shot either
This is a hard truth people here, and more importantly in the organization, probably won’t admit to themselves.