Whose idea was it to change daylight saving time?

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
from wiki:

Saving daylight was first mentioned in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin in a humorous letter[1] urging Parisians to save money by getting up earlier to use morning sunlight, thereby burning fewer candles in the evening. Franklin did not mention Daylight Saving Time—he did not propose that clock time be changed. His letter was in the spirit of his earlier proverb "Early to bed and early to rise / Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."[2]

DST was first proposed in 1907 by William Willett,[3] but he was unable to get the British government to adopt it, despite considerable lobbying.

DST was first put into practice by a national government in Germany during World War I, between April 30, 1916 and October 1, 1916. Shortly afterward, the United Kingdom followed suit, first adopting it between May 21 and October 1, 1916. On June 17, 1917, Newfoundland became the first North American jurisdiction to adopt DST with the passing of the Daylight Saving Act of 1917. On March 19, 1918, the U.S. Congress formally established several time zones, which had been in use by railroads and most cities since 1883; at the same time it established DST from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October. The law, however, proved so unpopular, mostly because it obliged people to rise and go to bed earlier than had become customary since the advent of electricity, that it was repealed after 1919, when Congress overrode President Woodrow Wilson's veto of the repeal.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For most areas, it does save electricity. How - LIGHTING. Lighting, which if you have read any of the threads on Compact florescent bulbs, consumes about 25% of the electricity used in the U.S.

What daylight savings time does is to change the time that there is daylight - reducing the amount of daylight in the early morning (when very few people are awake), and increasing the amount of light in the evening(when people are up) - hence, reduce the amount of time you need to have lights on by an hour a day. That hour less a day of lighting is where the energy savings is coming from.
Re-read the thread. This does not make sense to me. Let's say, on Nov. 1, it got dark at 5:30pm. On Nov. 2nd, it got dark at 4:30, as they all moved their clocks backwards one hour. This means people are now turning their lights on an hour earlier, not an hour later. Unless, of course, I'm stupid again & need this dumbed down further.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-read the thread. This does not make sense to me. Let's say, on Nov. 1, it got dark at 5:30pm. On Nov. 2nd, it got dark at 4:30, as they all moved their clocks backwards one hour. This means people are now turning their lights on an hour earlier, not an hour later. Unless, of course, I'm stupid again & need this dumbed down further.

This is done for the summer, and makes the most sense the further north you get.

In the summer at say, Chicago latitude, this would be the sunrise/sunset without DST:

Sunrise: 4:51 AM
Sunset: 7:02 PM

Very few people are up at 4;51 am, so the daylight is "wasted". But everyone is up at 7:02 PM, thus needing lights, etc.

With DST, it now becomes this:

Sunrise: 5:51 AM
Sunset: 8:02 PM

Which has the effect of putting the hour of day in a time that the vast majority of people are awake, instead of being asleep. So that is how it saves electricity - reduces the need for lighting for the majority of people for one hour.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is done for the summer, and makes the most sense the further north you get.

In the summer at say, Chicago latitude, this would be the sunrise/sunset without DST:

Very few people are up at 4;51 am, so the daylight is "wasted". But everyone is up at 7:02 PM, thus needing lights, etc.

Which has the effect of putting the hour of day in a time that the vast majority of people are awake, instead of being asleep. So that is how it saves electricity - reduces the need for lighting for the majority of people for one hour.

Leave the time alone and change the work schedules during that time then. Same result, right? I just don't get the need to artificially "change time." :D

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it that or "who's"?
It was the "who's"...to the mod that fixed the title: THANK YOU!!!!
/I know it's "daylight saving" but I'll admit I usually call it "daylight savings". That's what it gets for even existing!!!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While I get it, this makes even less sense now. In the summer, you have far more hours of daylight than you do in the winter. If you wanted to "save daylight" you'd think it would start in the fall/winter, and end in the summer, not vice versa.

Oh, well. I doubt anything will change my opinion that it's stupid. :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I get it, this makes even less sense now. In the summer, you have far more hours of daylight than you do in the winter. If you wanted to "save daylight" you'd think it would start in the fall/winter, and end in the summer, not vice versa.

Oh, well. I doubt anything will change my opinion that it's stupid. :D

You aren't getting it...