Whose idea was it to change daylight saving time?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've haven't seen this type of mad scramble to fix a computer "bug" since Y2k.

Stupid government

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryan - mad that you have to work?

Me - the joys of working for an Arizona only company! :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously not someone in AZ.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have all these server patch projects going on at work. Reminds me of sitting in the IT labs at my last job working 12 hours shifts round the clock up to Y2K. Except this time I am not the working 12 hours shifts. :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have all these server patch projects going on at work. Reminds me of sitting in the IT labs at my last job working 12 hours shifts round the clock up to Y2K. Except this time I am not the working 12 hours shifts. :D

Same here.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was DST changed??

/way too lazy to google

The dates for DST in the United States change this year. The U.S. Energy Policy Act of 2005 added four weeks to DST beginning in 2007 (Y2K+7). The start of DST now begins three weeks early—on the second Sunday in March (March 11)—and ends one week later—on the first Sunday in November (November 4). The old range was the first Sunday in April (April 1) to the last Sunday in October (October 28). The U.S. federal government expects the new DST will reduce the demand for electricity, and save U.S. consumers and businesses about 300,000 barrels of oil each year.

However, computers, digital clocks, digital watches, VCRs and DVDs, digital organizers, and other devices with internal clocks—bought before 2005—are programmed to change DST for an April 1 change, not a March 11 change. Businesses are scrambling to change their computers and electronic devices so their internal clocks will “spring forward” one hour at the new date, rather than the later old date. Disruption to public and private services could be felt if medical facilities, government buildings, communications organizations, and other necessary sectors servicing the health and safety of U.S. citizens do not correctly make the DST change.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dates for DST in the United States change this year. The U.S. Energy Policy Act of 2005 added four weeks to DST beginning in 2007 (Y2K+7). The start of DST now begins three weeks early—on the second Sunday in March (March 11)—and ends one week later—on the first Sunday in November (November 4). The old range was the first Sunday in April (April 1) to the last Sunday in October (October 28). The U.S. federal government expects the new DST will reduce the demand for electricity, and save U.S. consumers and businesses about 300,000 barrels of oil each year.
How the F does messing with your watch save 300k barrels of oil a year????? It doesn't make your house colder or warmer or anything.

DST is so stupid. AZ rules.

not bitching at you, abomb...just bitching. Thanks for the info...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How the F does messing with your watch save 300k barrels of oil a year????? It doesn't make your house colder or warmer or anything.

Yeah, whatever. ;)

I just copied and pasted from an article.

I am guessing that since people will be going to work an hour later, there will be less demand for heating oil, headlights and other crap.

The whole this is stupid.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For most areas, it does save electricity. How - LIGHTING. Lighting, which if you have read any of the threads on Compact florescent bulbs, consumes about 25% of the electricity used in the U.S.

What daylight savings time does is to change the time that there is daylight - reducing the amount of daylight in the early morning (when very few people are awake), and increasing the amount of light in the evening(when people are up) - hence, reduce the amount of time you need to have lights on by an hour a day. That hour less a day of lighting is where the energy savings is coming from.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For most areas, it does save electricity. How - LIGHTING. Lighting, which if you have read any of the threads on Compact florescent bulbs, consumes about 25% of the electricity used in the U.S.

What daylight savings time does is to change the time that there is daylight - reducing the amount of daylight in the early morning (when very few people are awake), and increasing the amount of light in the evening(when people are up) - hence, reduce the amount of time you need to have lights on by an hour a day. That hour less a day of lighting is where the energy savings is coming from.
Okay, am I stupid or what? How does lighting affect oil consumption?

I'm sorry everyone for being so grouchy today...:(

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, am I stupid or what? How does lighting affect oil consumption?

I'm sorry everyone for being so grouchy today...:(

There are power plants that burn oil to generate electricity.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so freaking glad i am out of wisconsin.

dealt with the DST thing for 4 years.

WTF is up with that?

YAY ARIZONA!!!!!!!!!

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked DST when I lived in Jersey. Getting that one extra hour was always cool (more partying that day) and having an extra hour of daylight was always awesome.

My friends back East never know what time it is here because there's no DST. Oh well. I like getting calls at 6 a.m. AZ time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't DST usually happen later in the year? Like at the end of March, early April?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn