Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's on 1st? Maybe Owings
Nick Piecoro
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 5, 2007 12:00 AM

NASHVILLE - Micah Owings' bat could get a little more play next season, and we're not just talking about pinch-hitting appearances.

Owings, who last season made 27 starts out of the Diamondbacks' rotation and posted a 4.30 ERA, could find his way onto the field, perhaps at first base.

"It's potentially, depending on how our roster looks, an option," manager Bob Melvin said Tuesday during a Q&A session with reporters.

Should the team re-sign free-agent first baseman Tony Clark, there would figure to be far fewer opportunities for Owings at the position.

But should Clark not return - and should Chad Tracy be slowed in his rehabilitation from knee surgery - the Diamondbacks could turn to Owings in some situations.

Owings, a renowned high school slugger and a part-time designated hitter in college, won the Silver Slugger award as the top-hitting pitcher in the National League last season.

In 60 at-bats, including six plate appearances as a pinch-hitter, Owings hit .333 with seven doubles, one triple and four home runs.

"Who wouldn't?" Owings said last month, when asked if he would welcome a chance to get more at-bats.

"I think you ask any guy in there, if they can get on the field some more, my answer would be yes every time. If they can get me the opportunity to swing some more, I'll take it in a heartbeat."

turtle

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Owings at first once in a while. Hell, maybe his defense is better than Jackson's.

HooverDam

Reaction score
As well as he hit last year, I think the more ABs he sees his numbers may drop. I think part of his success was due to surprise and pitchers not knowing what to do with him, that would certainly change by playing him at first. Plus, he's a pretty good pitcher and will almost certainly improve, I don't know if I like the idea of him risking injury by playing in the field (not that 1B is a particularly injury prone position, but still).

I hope Tracy can get healthy and become the everyday 1st baseman (and that Conor is moved in a trade for pitching)...but thats probably all just fantasy.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I might be in the minority on this board, but I think Micah Owings has the potential to be a mediocre starting pitcher . . . or a slugger as an everyday position player.

He wouldn't be the first who made the switch. Babe Ruth was a far better pitcher than Micah, and look what he did as an everyday hitter.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
He wouldn't be the first who made the switch. Babe Ruth was a far better pitcher than Micah, and look what he did as an everyday hitter.

Please tell me you didn't just compare Micah Owings to Babe Ruth.......

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
think it would be a terrible idea - let your pitcher pitch - there is a reason why it takes so long to develop quality big league hitters - it's not easy to consistly go out and hit major league pitching, especially when they get some tape on you and can start pitching to your weaknesses

why risk injury to a rotation pitcher and potenially alienating your bench, platoon hitters for a gimmick like this?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
think it would be a terrible idea - let your pitcher pitch - there is a reason why it takes so long to develop quality big league hitters - it's not easy to consistly go out and hit major league pitching, especially when they get some tape on you and can start pitching to your weaknesses

why risk injury to a rotation pitcher and potenially alienating your bench, platoon hitters for a gimmick like this?

:yeahthat: