Ball
Wiseman
Toppin
Hayes
Okongwu
Haliburton
Avdija
Vassell
If the Suns stay put and draft a player, who would you like to see the Suns draft at #10. ‘Other’ means another player not listed, not a trade. You can select 2 options.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Achiuwa and Williiams may be the best fits out of anyone for the Suns, including higher ranked players.

Achiuwa was seen as more of a 3 coming into college as a top recruit, but ended up playing a lot of 5 after Wiseman got suspended. He's 6'9 225 and has upside as a finisher, rebounder, and rim protector. He's also got the athleticism and skillset to develop more of a perimeter game as well.

His last 3 games, he put up:

22 points, 22 rebounds and 5 blocks in an overtime win
14 points, 16 rebounds and 3 blocks
Then 25 and 15 against a top 25 team

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Patrick Williams has that Jimmy Butler/PJ Tucker confidence. He plays like a man around boys, which is funny because he just turned 19 like three days ago. At 6'8, he's more of a 3 who you can play at the 4, but his rim protection skills and physicality give me confidence he could develop into what the Suns need. Great athlete who flashes big-time upside. His counting stats aren't amazing, but his per 40 numbers are much better (he only played 22 mpg). The defensive upside he flashes is very promising, and he shoots 84% from the line. Check out the play he makes against UNC (starts at 1:52), where he goes from guarding the three point line to blocking a dunk in no time at all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Aaron Nesmith has the best chance of being the next Donovan Mitchell/Giannis. Not that he'll play like them, but that he'll go around the early teens and probably end up being the best player in the draft in 3 years.

His 3pt targeting is out of this world, he has very good athleticism, show good defensive reads and reactions with his +4 reach, and has a great feel for the game. Plus it looks like he models everything he does after Kobe. His obvious negatives would be foot speed, which is exactly what was said about Book.

The only problem, we already have Book, so NEED would hardly be addresed. However we aren't taking a starter at #10 anyway, and Aaron would give Book the much needed rest to ensure his longevity for a season. I still believe Book should hover around 32 minutes per game. Aaron could easily fit into the crowded field we have a SF if needed.

I put Kira as my 2nd choice as I see a lot of sleeper potential from him and would be a great back up to Rubio. Jalen would have been my 3rd.

I like, don't love, Precious, Bey, Williams. I just don't see anything in film that gets me all that excited.

I want no part of Okoro or Cole Anthony. I just don't get the love for them this early.

OP
OP
JerkFace

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
With this group I pretty much have Achiuwa, Smith, Bey, Williams, Nesmith, and Lewis jr all bunched up together, with Achiuwa and Smith getting the slight nod because they fit the biggest need. I think Okoro may be the highest rated player, but I don’t like his fit on the Suns.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of these choices, the ones I absolutely DON'T want are Anthony, Okoro and Pokusevski. Of those not listed, I still wouldn't mind Carey or Stewart.

I voted for Achiuwa and Jalen Smith.

I still fear that Jones will reach for someone like Pritchard, Howard or Tyler Bey, or worst of all, Nico Mannion.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aaron Nesmith has the best chance of being the next Donovan Mitchell/Giannis. Not that he'll play like them, but that he'll go around the early teens and probably end up being the best player in the draft in 3 years.

His 3pt targeting is out of this world, he has very good athleticism, show good defensive reads and reactions with his +4 reach, and has a great feel for the game. Plus it looks like he models everything he does after Kobe. His obvious negatives would be foot speed, which is exactly what was said about Book.

The only problem, we already have Book, so NEED would hardly be addresed. However we aren't taking a starter at #10 anyway, and Aaron would give Book the much needed rest to ensure his longevity for a season. I still believe Book should hover around 32 minutes per game. Aaron could easily fit into the crowded field we have a SF if needed.

I put Kira as my 2nd choice as I see a lot of sleeper potential from him and would be a great back up to Rubio. Jalen would have been my 3rd.

I like, don't love, Precious, Bey, Williams. I just don't see anything in film that gets me all that excited.

I want no part of Okoro or Cole Anthony. I just don't get the love for them this early.

As long as we get a power forward through other means, I would be fine with Nesmith or Lewis.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still liking a couple of players I saw early on, Jalen Smith and Precious Achiuwa.

That's not to say I don't like a lot of the other options.

I'm not a fan of drafting Isaac Okoro or Aleksej Pokuševski.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Patrick Williams but I'm not excited by the other options listed here. I might take a gamble on Precious or Nesmith but I'd also consider going for a role player such as Maxey or maybe an international player (Avidja if he drops).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Patrick Williams but I'm not excited by the other options listed here. I might take a gamble on Precious or Nesmith but I'd also consider going for a role player such as Maxey or maybe an international player (Avidja if he drops).

Maxey is at best another Monta Ellis and is a ball hog and chucker. Stay as far away from him as possible. The only player in this entire draft I like less than Maxey is Mannion.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Really hope Haliburton drops, but my very uninformed opinion of who to take of the players remaining would be Bey.

I think Bey is exactly the type of swing forward that Monty is looking for. I especially likely his play-making ability both off the dribble and even in the post.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maxey is at best another Monta Ellis and is a ball hog and chucker. Stay as far away from him as possible. The only player in this entire draft I like less than Maxey is Mannion.

Maxey is clearly a better POA defender than Monta.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Patrick Williams was SO GOOD defensively as an 18-year freshman with tons of responsibilities for Leonard Hamilton’s 1-seed FSU. He is great at rotating and protecting the rim. He doesn’t have elite foot speed like a Bolmaro type, but he’s big enough to guard the best wings in the NBA. I trust his shot as he shot much better from 3 in high school and has elite ft shooting numbers.

Right now, a major factor when considering roster construction is “can the player easily fit in an end of game line-up with Booker and Ayton”? Obviously Mikal fits this criteria, especially as his shot improves. Cam looks like he will fit this criteria as well, as his defense looks decent. I think Williams can play quality NBA defense right now. All he needs to do is hit spot-up threes to be a good value. If he can develop a little more of his dribble drive/pull-up game he could be immensely valuable.

I think he actually has the best chance to be a big impact player on both sides with the exception of maybe Anthony Edwards. I also think his floor is reasonably high given his size and athletic traits and massive defensive IQ and size.

Josh was thinner, older, and had much worse shooting peripherals coming in.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Patrick Williams was SO GOOD defensively as an 18-year freshman with tons of responsibilities for Leonard Hamilton’s 1-seed FSU. He is great at rotating and protecting the rim. He doesn’t have elite foot speed like a Bolmaro type, but he’s big enough to guard the best wings in the NBA. I trust his shot as he shot much better from 3 in high school and has elite ft shooting numbers.

Right now, a major factor when considering roster construction is “can the player easily fit in an end of game line-up with Booker and Ayton”? Obviously Mikal fits this criteria, especially as his shot improves. Cam looks like he will fit this criteria as well, as his defense looks decent. I think Williams can play quality NBA defense right now. All he needs to do is hit spot-up threes to be a good value. If he can develop a little more of his dribble drive/pull-up game he could be immensely valuable.

I think he actually has the best chance to be a big impact player on both sides with the exception of maybe Anthony Edwards. I also think his floor is reasonably high given his size and athletic traits and massive defensive IQ and size.

Josh was thinner, older, and had much worse shooting peripherals coming in.

I wouldn't mind Williams at 10, but because he remains relatively raw and requires development, he doesn't fit the James Jones profile. As such, there is no way he will be the pick for the Suns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant offensively, where he is a black hole...

This is a weak draft and we're sitting at 10. If we can get a backup PG that's Monta-like on offense AND plays good defense, that's a big win IMO. I'd rather draft Patrick Williams but I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone by then.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is a weak draft and we're sitting at 10. If we can get a backup PG that's Monta-like on offense AND plays good defense, that's a big win IMO. I'd rather draft Patrick Williams but I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone by then.

The last thing this team needs is an undisciplined ball hogging chucker on offense who can't shoot and who has no concept of team basketball. We already had that in Josh Jackson, and we saw how that worked out. Stay away from Maxey. Please.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last thing this team needs is an undisciplined ball hogging chucker on offense who can't shoot and who has no concept of team basketball. We already had that in Josh Jackson, and we saw how that worked out. Stay away from Maxey. Please.

As a top 4 pick, I was very anti-JJ prior to the draft but if a similar player came out in this draft and was available at 10, I'd give him serious consideration. Maybe the next Josh Jackson won't be the head case the first one was?

Jackson and Maxey do have some similar weaknesses and it's a little scary that Maxey is even more limited on the court than Josh was but Jackson was doomed by more than his flawed BBall game. Personally I'd buddy up with John Calipari and find out how he really feels about Tyrese. If, off camera, he doesn't do a good job of selling him, I'd stay away.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Williams at 10, but because he remains relatively raw and requires development, he doesn't fit the James Jones profile. As such, there is no way he will be the pick for the Suns.

I don’t think Jones is necessarily averse to players that are raw and need development. He wouldn’t draft a senior if we had a top3 pick, and he’d almost certainly draft a freshman.

Jones likes smart players that offer either an elite trait or are perceived as well-rounded. Sometimes the smarter players are young. Usually they’re older. I do think he wants NBA Ready players, and I’m not sure if Williams is ready to play offense in the NBA, but he is ready to play defense. On a team with Devin Booker that is far more important.

Also, I think Jones has made a point of not relying on rookies to play big minutes right away. Williams could start out with low minutes and grow into his role.

I also think Jones is perceptive enough to realize that interior defense and defensive versatility are paramount for this team. Other than Onyeka, Williams is the best bet for that in this draft, and unlike Onyeka he projects as a guy that can play off ball away from the basket as well as attack the basket off cuts.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As a top 4 pick, I was very anti-JJ prior to the draft but if a similar player came out in this draft and was available at 10, I'd give him serious consideration. Maybe the next Josh Jackson won't be the head case the first one was?

Jackson and Maxey do have some similar weaknesses and it's a little scary that Maxey is even more limited on the court than Josh was but Jackson was doomed by more than his flawed BBall game. Personally I'd buddy up with John Calipari and find out how he really feels about Tyrese. If, off camera, he doesn't do a good job of selling him, I'd stay away.

I was actually very PRO-JJ at the time based on his potential and fit for our needs at the time. I learned my lesson. Flaws like that borne out of selfishness, lack of team concept and lack of coachability rarely, if ever, get corrected.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Josh was an atrocious free throw shooter in college. Maxey was excellent. He projects to shoot much better than Josh did. Maxey is big for his position; Josh was spindly.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I also don’t think we have a big enough sample to know what a “James Jones Guy” is at this point.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Josh was an atrocious free throw shooter in college. Maxey was excellent. He projects to shoot much better than Josh did. Maxey is big for his position; Josh was spindly.

Maxey is a shooting guard, so he is actually small for his position. Quickley was their point guard.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There’s not much difference in the offensive rawness of a guy like Vassell and a guy like Williams.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maxey is a shooting guard, so he is actually small for his position. Quickley was their point guard.

Maxey is more of a SG on offense, but he can and did defend POA lead guards.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Right Now I want a shot blocking rebounder for a big. When Ayton gets into foul trouble, it is problems for our squad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson