• Cole Anthony

• Kira Lewis jr

• Aleksej Pokusevski

• Other (put name in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless he plays Power Forward on defense, as much as he hangs out on the perimeter.

With a bulky, rather than tall, defender covering the post on defense.

Now you want to adapt a new gimmick and move Ayton from Center after he's shown to be a more than capable, if not good, rim protector? That makes zero sense. Call for ending all the gimmicks except ones you sign off on because it would make the Suns look more like a team from the 90's.

Other than having an antiquated view of what an NBA lineup should look like, why move Ayton to PF on defense anyways though? That doesn't make sense at this point.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now you want to adapt a new gimmick and move Ayton from Center after he's shown to be a more than capable, if not good, rim protector? That makes zero sense. Call for ending all the gimmicks except ones you sign off on because it would make the Suns look more like a team from the 90's.

Other than having an antiquated view of what an NBA lineup should look like, why move Ayton to PF on defense anyways though? That doesn't make sense at this point.

I have no clue what this means. If a Center sets a pick on the perimeter than Ayton is now soundly playing POA or Wing defense. You’re acting like if he “is a center” he will always be standing near the rim. This isn’t the 90s.

Having multiple players that can guard perimeter AND protect the rim is what makes a defense difficult to play against. The Suns should be finding players that can do both and/or have elite traits on offense (movement shooting and/or dribble drive playmaking skills).

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
More to the point, your tallest and strongest player should be defending the other team’s best big, so Ayton should be guarding Anthony Davis even if they’re also playing McGee or Dwight. So, it helps to have another tall player that can still move when they do a big-big PnR with AD as ball-handler or LBJ as ball-handler with any of the three bigs setting the pick. The less help your big needs on an island against LBJ or AD, means the fewer high quality shots the tertiary players get.

Against most teams, you need to have at least two tall switchable bigs, and preferably three. The Suns have 1.75 as Dario has his limitations in space.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton should also guard Siakim (he cooked Mikal this year fwiw), and so who guards Gasol/Ibaka is a point worth making.

As Ayton becomes a better rim protector and more attuned to help, then he can play the other team’s worst one-one-one big so he can have more flexibility on weak side, a la Giannis.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no clue what this means. If a Center sets a pick on the perimeter than Ayton is now soundly playing POA or Wing defense. You’re acting like if he “is a center” he will always be standing near the rim. This isn’t the 90s.

Having multiple players that can guard perimeter AND protect the rim is what makes a defense difficult to play against. The Suns should be finding players that can do both and/or have elite traits on offense (movement shooting and/or dribble drive playmaking skills).

You act like there is a sure fire way to lure bugs out of the paint on D when there isnt. Of course he'd follow his man out there at first but through switches and sagging off his man then he can work his way back to basket to challenge someone driving.

No one would say other teams bigs play PF on D because they get pulled away from the basket occasionally so I'm not sure why you'd use that reasoning to say Ayton would be a PF sometimes. Does Gobert play PF sometimes too? No.

The league has changed and most teams play with 1 point guard, 3 wings, and a big. We saw this last season how much better the Suns play when they run a lineup like that. They weren't great defensively but they weren't awful either. Searching for someone to slow things down who will clog the interior on offense because sometimes Ayton can't guard the rim every play he's on the court
isn't the solution or a big need. Finding a young Ibaka sounds great but guys like that are super rare.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s more that position designations are archaic and it’s more about “what can the guy do, what optimizes his value, and does he have any areas of exploitation”. Calling someone a 5 or 4 or 3 or w/e is dumb.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
When Ayton was in the game our rebounding ratio and, especially, our defense was strong.

We need a backup for Ayton, we don't need someone who clogs up the lane along side him.

With Ayton alone we are not running anything like Houston or Boston. Nothing about Ayton, Bridges and Oubre is gimmicky, not in today's NBA.

Jalen Smith

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cam/Kelly/FA.

lol at taking Halliburton tho. Guy will bust. Hayes seems ok

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m expecting them to roll as is with KElly or Dario. You can’t perfect a roster overnight.

Then expect the same results. No playoffs.

I am not asking for a perfect roster. I am asking for an effort to fill the biggest holes, and right now there is no bigger hole than the starting 4.

This team can't survive with only one starter over 210 lbs., particularly where the starting line-up isn't particularly quick, either.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I am not asking for a perfect roster. I am asking for an effort to fill the biggest holes, and right now there is no bigger hole than the starting 4.

This team can't survive with only one starter over 210 lbs., particularly where the starting line-up isn't particularly quick, either.

Nobody we’re drafting at #10 is changing that.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

I concur with Gator, the biggest hole at starting PF won't be filled with one single player in this draft (as it stands now). I would suspect JJ will look for a vet via trade or free agency. So that should satiate your concerns at starting PF. BUT, and this is really important, if Monty told JJ that he wants to start Oubre/Cam/Bridges at PF next year, shouldn't we trust his judgement? I think he's earned it even in his short time here.

The rookie this year will be a bench guy that fills a role. Thus, almost any position is in play since we could use a backup 1, 2, 4, and 5 (presuming we lose Baynes). And the prospects in this draft aren't really star material, but do offer good potential for role players. Even if Obi falls to us, he probably doesn't start much this year as he still has a ways to go.

I also agree with Gator that one of the PGs should be available at #10. I highly suspect it will be Kira Lewis. Haliburton offers a much higher value given his elite engine, excellent wingspin, high in game IQ, and solid character. Killian is a swing for the fences type guy, laying all your hope that his step back foreshadows a Harden like future.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You can’t perfect a roster overnight.
Overnights in Alaska are six months long.

Overnights for the Suns are over a decade . . . and still counting.

Now that we had a successful bubble performance, expectations
are increasing.

I hope that management doesn't say, "You can't perfect a roster
overnight."

We want to finally see steady progress The biggest priority is a
Power Forward to take pressure off Ayton. Assuming that he
will be available to play.

Yes, that is sarcasm and I dislike sarcasm. But I dislike even
more a bubble-headed #1 draft pick who disappoints us

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We saw how great a difference bringing in a point guard made when we filled a hole. Same thing at PF.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Overnights in Alaska are six months long.

Overnights for the Suns are over a decade . . . and still counting.

Now that we had a successful bubble performance, expectations
are increasing.

I hope that management doesn't say, "You can't perfect a roster
overnight."

We want to finally see steady progress The biggest priority is a
Power Forward to take pressure off Ayton. Assuming that he
will be available to play.

Yes, that is sarcasm and I dislike sarcasm. But I dislike even
more a bubble-headed #1 draft pick who disappoints us

I was actually quoting someone else. I am tired of the excuses. I want to see steady improvement and at least an effort to fill our most obvious most significant holes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was actually quoting someone else. I am tired of the excuses. I want to see steady improvement and at least an effort to fill our most obvious most significant holes.
Oops, you're right. GatorAZ posted it.

I quoted the wrong post.

I'm sorry for the mixup.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the Suns do a trade, the most immediate improvement will be seen by improving depth.

In the draft, the Suns need a player that can make the roster with the potential to start someday or at least be a rotation player. It should be BPA in the draft. The most important thing is not to miss on a player.

A lingering question mark for me is Oubre. If they keep him, Oubre, Bridges and Cam Johnson is a nice rotation at forward.

My biggest concern is backups at the 4/5 when Ayton goes to the bench. Another shooter that can help Booker would help as well.

The Suns need some players that can defend and rebound behind Ayton. If the Suns do draft a big man in the draft, hopefully that player can help.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyrese Halliburton, Kira Lewis Jr or Killian Hayes should be there at #10. Easy peasy.

Halliburton and Hayes won't be there at 10, and I don't want Kira Lewis.

Aaron Nesmith is my clear choice. I think he is a future 20+ ppg scorer.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Halliburton and Hayes won't be there at 10, and I don't want Kira Lewis.

Aaron Nesmith is my clear choice. I think he is a future 20+ ppg scorer.
Just ANOTHER SF on the squad. I get the upside.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard