Who will win the west?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Spurs
Mavs
Lakers
other team?

When I look at the west it seems like for the first time in a while I can't even fathom a team lower than the 3rd seed having any chance of winning the WCF. It seems like in recent years 1 to 8 has been loaded. now the east appears to be taking on some of the star players and it is finally leveling out. who do you guys think will win the west. I think it will be the lakers or mavs. I'm not buying the spurs. I think they are a great team and can beat up on some of the bad teams in the league on a nightly basis because they are well coached. but I think if they play some of the elite teams on a nightly basis they have some matchup issues.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I actually think this year could really be taken by a surprise team, and right now I'm leaning heavily towards Dallas as the team that has the best chance of getting to the Finals. Lakers have flaws and the Spurs, well we don't know how strong they will be by the playoffs. It's possible a lower seeded team can get far this year.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who ever wins the West will probably beat the Suns in the Western Finals,:p it's just how we roll. But if we make it there, we do have a center and Nash at the same time, team is playing defense, and Channing Frye.

He was on my poop list for a good minute, but the kid is playing lights out.

I don't know exactly when it started but I think it was either Gortat coming here or when Garnett smacked him in the nuts, either way Frye has been killing it with an all around game.

So I, being my macho homer self, pick the Suns in seven gut wrenching games to win the Western Finals. And I say so with all humility, for I am as humble as the next three guys combined. :D

Go Suns

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's no chance in hell that anyone but the Lakers come out of the west IMO. In a 7 game series, they'll wear SA down and Dallas is... well... Dallas.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Spurs is equal to Suns; fast tempo game, not built for post-season.
Dallas/Nowitski = Chokers
OKC still young and frankly, i don't think they have enough firepower.

So, as sad as it makes me, i say LA

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
New Spurs is equal to Suns; fast tempo game, not built for post-season.
Dallas/Nowitski = Chokers
OKC still young and frankly, i don't think they have enough firepower.

So, as sad as it makes me, i say LA
Spurs are 10th in opponents field goal % and 7th in defensive efficiency. :shrug:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
San Antonio.

They deserve to win it. Played so well in the regular season. Let's see if they can overcome Parker's injury.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still thinking Spurs. I don't discount the Lakers because of all of the talent on that team and who is coaching. However, the Spurs seem to be on a mission and that team is well coached and knows how to get it done.

I just don't ever trust the Mavs to get it done. That teams big players seem to disappear when it counts.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Still thinking Spurs. I don't discount the Lakers because of all of the talent on that team and who is coaching. However, the Spurs seem to be on a mission and that team is well coached and knows how to get it done.

I just don't ever trust the Mavs to get it done. That teams big players seem to disappear when it counts.
I just think this dallas team is different than others i've seen. back in the days of nash, the mavs had 3 stars, but no bench. they won 55-60 games a year mostly because of nash and nowitizki/finley. then in the playoffs they wore down against the elite teams that were much deeper. the year dallas lost in the finals...i think that team was not as deep as this mavs team. they were younger...maybe as talented....but not deep enough and lacked the experience to beat a team like the heat that was loaded with veterans and had a veteran coach. the formula the mavs are playing with now seems to be more conducive to winning a title. they have their star player who can score from anywhere. and he is surrounded by quality players everywhere(starting and bench) who are tenured veterans. its remarkable to see how many different combos they have and seem to have guys that are just interchangeable. then they have the ultimate spark plug in beaubois. tyson chandler is the best big man dirk has every played with. he is averaging 10/10 this year. it really is a shame butler was injured or I think they would be a shoe in to win the west. the mavs can beat the spurs. the lakers would be an interesting matchup. the last time they played they ran LA off the court.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Interesting that the traditional 50-and-fade teams, the Suns and Mavs, each have a legitimate Center now, something that was never quite their forte in the past.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Obviously I'm hoping for the Spurs but it's really open I think. The Spurs needs to step up on D, which has been a bit on/off. We have no real defensive all-star caliber player anymore and rely on good team D. The possible first round match-ups do not seem easy. We have very big problems with Portland and that would be the nightmare opponent, but also Memphis and the Suns could be tough. (I still remember how Nash toyed with George Hill in our last PO-series). Utah or NO would be easier I think.

Dallas is the hottest team right now but traditionally chokers in the POs. Terry sometimes thinks he is Kobe and Kidd thinks he is Ray Allen when they should just give the ball to Dirk. They have found ways to lose games in the POs in the past and we will have to wait and see if that has changed. Chandler is solid but has injury problems.

I don't think OKC is ready. Maybe the Fakers will will win it again. I assure you that they will have the refs on their side too as usual and the NBA would prefer a Fakers-Miami finals.

Last edited:

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather the spurs win it for 50 years straight than the lakers win it once.

I think it's obvious SA will win the west.. Even with their loss tonight to memphis.

If they all asleep however I think Dallas will be right up on their asses.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just remember that Phil Jackson-led teams are 3-for-3 in completing threepeats after the first two titles have been won.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs roster is really small yet they play tough defense. It is really a testament to how great of a coach Popovich is.

Ultimately I can't pick against the Lakers with it being Phil Jackson's last season.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Obviously I'm hoping for the Spurs but it's really open I think. The Spurs needs to step up on D, which has been a bit on/off. We have no real defensive all-star caliber player anymore and rely on good team D. The possible first round match-ups do not seem easy. We have very big problems with Portland and that would be the nightmare opponent, but also Memphis and the Suns could be tough. (I still remember how Nash toyed with George Hill in our last PO-series). Utah or NO would be easier I think.

Dallas is the hottest team right now but traditionally chokers in the POs. Terry sometimes thinks he is Kobe and Kidd thinks he is Ray Allen when they should just give the ball to Dirk. They have found ways to lose games in the POs in the past and we will have to wait and see if that has changed. Chandler is solid but has injury problems.

I don't think OKC is ready. Maybe the Fakers will will win it again. I assure you that they will have the refs on their side too as usual and the NBA would prefer a Fakers-Miami finals.
Dallas has been the best team in the NBA in the regular season when dirk has been healthy.... or at least have the record to match the spurs in that regard. They have the wins vs the elite teams as well.

I think the mavericks head to head matchup with the spurs favors dallas especially now with chandler. beaubois is also going to be a problem for the spurs. forget about terry and kidd, eventhough I can see why spurs fans would not like terry. the mavs have faded in the playoffs many times, but have not had that problem vs. the spurs. the matchup has always been a nightmare for the spurs because of dirk, usually he is too much for them to handle. I think the addition of chandler has meant everything to this years mavericks team. For dallas the less favorable matchup in the playoffs are the lakers, but I actually think the mavericks are deeper. In a series vs the lakers the mavericks have the size to matchup and have more depth in certain areas overall. but the lakers are champions, have better coaching, and kobe>dirk...

Also it will likely be dallas vs. LAL in round 2. the lakers to me are the favorite. If the mavs can upset them in round 2 then I feel they will make it to the finals.

Last edited:

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Dallas has been the best team in the NBA in the regular season when dirk has been healthy.... or at least have the record to match the spurs in that regard. They have the wins vs the elite teams as well.

I think the mavericks head to head matchup with the spurs favors dallas especially now with chandler. beaubois is also going to be a problem for the spurs. forget about terry and kidd, eventhough I can see why spurs fans would not like terry. the mavs have faded in the playoffs many times, but have not had that problem vs. the spurs. the matchup has always been a nightmare for the spurs because of dirk, usually he is too much for them to handle. I think the addition of chandler has meant everything to this years mavericks team.quote]

Good post BUT if you imagine a healthy Dallas team you should also imagine a healthy Spurs team. Injuries happen and when the Spurs big 3 are healthy they normally win against Dallas. It's not true that Dallas is a nightmare match-up for the Spurs, just look at last seasons PO's. Spurs had the 7th seed and won that series easily.

Sure Chandler is good but the Spurs are also a much better team this season. We don't have a bench consisting of Roger Mason Jr and Keith Bogans any longer. Also RJ and our young guys Blair and Hill have improved.

Finally, don't forget about coaches. Pop will NOT forget about Kidd and Terry. On the contrary he will try to exploit the weaknesses of his opponents.

I'm not saying the Spurs would win easily but it's not like Dallas should be the favourites IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson