Who will win the west?

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Dallas has been the best team in the NBA in the regular season when dirk has been healthy.... or at least have the record to match the spurs in that regard. They have the wins vs the elite teams as well.

I think the mavericks head to head matchup with the spurs favors dallas especially now with chandler. beaubois is also going to be a problem for the spurs. forget about terry and kidd, eventhough I can see why spurs fans would not like terry. the mavs have faded in the playoffs many times, but have not had that problem vs. the spurs. the matchup has always been a nightmare for the spurs because of dirk, usually he is too much for them to handle. I think the addition of chandler has meant everything to this years mavericks team.quote]

Good post BUT if you imagine a healthy Dallas team you should also imagine a healthy Spurs team. Injuries happen and when the Spurs big 3 are healthy they normally win against Dallas. It's not true that Dallas is a nightmare match-up for the Spurs, just look at last seasons PO's. Spurs had the 7th seed and won that series easily.

Sure Chandler is good but the Spurs are also a much better team this season. We don't have a bench consisting of Roger Mason Jr and Keith Bogans any longer. Also RJ and our young guys Blair and Hill have improved.

Finally, don't forget about coaches. Pop will NOT forget about Kidd and Terry. On the contrary he will try to exploit the weaknesses of his opponents.

I'm not saying the Spurs would win easily but it's not like Dallas should be the favourites IMO.
I think a lot of nba experts are putting the mavericks over the spurs...some might say they are even IDK.

the spurs record is great, but you have to remember that over half of the league is watered down. then probably only 15-20 percent of the teams have a real chance of contending. So if I were judging these elite teams i would look at what they've done head to head against one another. Not what they are supposed to do against teams that they should beat. look at miami for instance. can we really say they are a contender if they are 1-8 against elite teams? sure they have a good record. I know the spurs aren't in that boat so that's not a shot against them. I know when the mavericks had dirk in the lineup they beat SA in SA. They've also beat boston twice and LA the only time they've played. The simple point is that regular season records don't matter. What matters is what happens come playoff time when you play quality opponent night after night. I feel that dallas' bench is much deeper than i've ever seen it. they just added corey brewer which will help defensively as well. they have the length to compete with LA and at least be problematic for a team like the spurs. we will see.

I don't think the spurs easily beat dallas last year. it was a tough series and I actually think the spurs upset dallas, but deserved to win. if I recall the suns swept them the next round so maybe dallas just took them lightly i don't know. dallas has defeated the spurs in the playoffs before when they were all healthy like that game 7 in SA about 5 or 6 years ago. In fact over the last decade I don't know that it has been so easy for the spurs when they've played dallas regardless of health. I think the head to head record against dallas has probably been one of their worst matchups when compared to most other teams in the NBA. It must be like 50/50 maybe worst maybe better(don't know for sure)...especially since after steve nash left and dirk emerged as an elite star. it seemed like then the matchup started to tilt into dallas' favor. the spurs have also defeated the mavs in the playoffs when dallas had injuries as well. I just think the mavs are better than the spurs overall(deeper) this year and would beat the spurs in a 7 game series if at or near full health especially to their key guys like nowitzki.

either way. the lakers are the roadblock in the west. they are the best team no matter what the regular season records say. that's what dirk said the other day when asked if they could catch the spurs in the standings. so I'm agreeing with that!

Last edited:

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Spurs 125 - Miami 95 while limiting the minutes of our starters. Funny thing is that most "experts", the media and some fans still don't get the simple fact that basketball is about playing as a team.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Spurs 125 - Miami 95 while limiting the minutes of our starters. Funny thing is that most "experts", the media and some fans still don't get the simple fact that basketball is about playing as a team.
I agree. the heat are overrated by the fans and NBA experts when they win against the crap teams. then when they lose everybody hates on them.

the miami heat can not hold up against the elite teams. they have had their moments this year, but it has rarely looked good for them against the elite teams that have great depth. They are very overrated because of their two star players, but they need major help. l

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. the heat are overrated by the fans and NBA experts when they win against the crap teams. then when they lose everybody hates on them.

the miami heat can not hold up against the elite teams. they have had their moments this year, but it has rarely looked good for them against the elite teams that have great depth. They are very overrated because of their two star players, but they need major help. l
i thought the heat had three stars?:D

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
i thought the heat had three stars?:D
I eliminated chris bosh. the heat should have went after lamarcus aldridge instead. right now bosh is playing more like shawn bradley lol. the problem for the heat I think is that they just don't have any team chemistry in the crunch time. they have 2 or 3 generals and no one can make a call. they need to have some type of consistency there. I mean who are the leaders and followers on that team. it looks like there is no confidence at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That they probably can't afford now because of the unbalanced payroll.
Yeah, i think that's what a lot of people were thinking when they first signed in miami. they had that huge championship celebration...before the season....and we were like...wait up...how the f..are they gonna afford to pay 2 more guys so that they can play. that's why they got chalmbers and dampier out there LOL. oh and mike miller bricking wide open shot after the other.

manuforfive....looks like dirk was right. the mavs need to worry about the lakers...not the spurs. they are starting to scare me with the way they are playing.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
manuforfive....looks like dirk was right. the mavs need to worry about the lakers...not the spurs. they are starting to scare me with the way they are playing.

Well the Fakers are the champs and deserve respect and yes they are playing well but the Spurs are 2-1 against them this season. For Dallas I guess the Fakers are a worse match-up than the Spurs and looks like they will meet them in the second round, if they get past the first round of course. To be honest, the professional way would be to worry about all the PO-teams. If Dallas haven't learned anything from last season's POs and think they can cruise by the Spurs I think it's a good thing, because it is so stupid.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well the Fakers are the champs and deserve respect and yes they are playing well but the Spurs are 2-1 against them this season. For Dallas I guess the Fakers are a worse match-up than the Spurs and looks like they will meet them in the second round, if they get past the first round of course. To be honest, the professional way would be to worry about all the PO-teams. If Dallas haven't learned anything from last season's POs and think they can cruise by the Spurs I think it's a good thing, because it is so stupid.
I don't think the mavs think they can cruise by anyone. their last 3 losses are by 1 point buzzer beaters each game against the teams that they will probably face in the first round. New orleans hit two halfcourt 3's at the buzzer in that loss.

the lakers always beat the spurs in the playoffs and are a bad matchup for anyone in the west. they are the best team in my opinion. For some odd reason the mavericks have not faced the lakers in the playoffs over the last decade. they have seen plenty of the spurs and I think everyone knows that dallas can beat SA and SA could beat dallas. That matchup would probably be even if you talk to unbiased people(not you or I obviously who are homers).
But no one really knows what would happen if dallas played LA. LA would certainly be favored to say the least.

The mavs are the deepest team and can match LA's length, but they have kobe and gasol which will be very tough for dallas. dallas' depth has to execute like they do in the regular season. the spurs IMO simply don't have the depth at every position like the lakers and mavs do. I think in a 7 game series they will lose to the winner of the LA/DAL outcome. At this point it appears that is what will happen because the spurs lead is too great unless they meltdown and lose a lot of games in row at some point. If there was a year that the #1 seed is a huge advantage it would be this season. The spurs will probably have their hands full with the hornets though.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs fans telling themselves they have a shot in hell of beating the Lakers in a 7 game series are smoking premium grade A crack-cocaine... and a lot of it. That team's size + Kobe will demolish the Spurs. They'll probably whoop up on the Mavs as well. None of us want it to be true, but deep down... we know.

That team has been to 3 straight NBA Finals folks and this year, it actually looks like they'll be HEALTHY for the first time in four years as Bynum's getting stronger and stronger as the season goes on, instead of weaker and weaker. That spells doom for a team as small as the Spurs and a team as weak-minded as the Mavs.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Spurs fans telling themselves they have a shot in hell of beating the Lakers in a 7 game series are smoking premium grade A crack-cocaine... and a lot of it. That team's size + Kobe will demolish the Spurs. They'll probably whoop up on the Mavs as well. None of us want it to be true, but deep down... we know.

That team has been to 3 straight NBA Finals folks and this year, it actually looks like they'll be HEALTHY for the first time in four years as Bynum's getting stronger and stronger as the season goes on, instead of weaker and weaker. That spells doom for a team as small as the Spurs and a team as weak-minded as the Mavs.
lakers and mavs play tonight on nba tv. I actually think this is the best mavs team I've ever seen. They aren't weak mentally. they are stacked with veterans that play hard and are tough to deal with. their biggest weakness is defense for four quarters and when they play small with undersized guards they struggle to rebound. I hope caron butler can play in the playoffs. that would really be great and would help against kobe.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lakers and mavs play tonight on nba tv. I actually think this is the best mavs team I've ever seen. They aren't weak mentally.

their own coach called them soft and until proven otherwise in the playoffs, they're choke artists, plain and simple.

and butler coming back for the playoffs... come on, even if somehow he got healthy enough to get on the court, he'll be a shell of himself for at least a while, like all players are when they miss 6 months.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one game does not put a nail in the Mavs coffin, but tonight was a pretty good example of what i'm talking about. Kobe plays like garbage and save one last gasp run by the Mavs, the Lakers completely controlled the game and showed once again, they have no problem going into Dallas and winning. They seem to do it at least once a year whereas the Mavs winning in LA happens once every blue moon.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
Even though they were dominated and down the whole game, they had a shot at the end. Jason Terry is mentally ******** for taking that shot IMO.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lakers will win the West, unless Bynam turns into Bynam. Dork and the Mavs are good, but they aint Kobe good. Spurs will get even older trying to keep up the last part of the season.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
So is everyone here pretty much calling the spurs the suns of 04-08?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who will win the West?
Gee i dunno.....its been won by the same two teams for 11 of the last 12 years.
WGAF. Seriously.

that really is a crazy stat. hell, if Ginobli hadn't made one of the biggest bonehead fouls of all time, hitting Dirk on a layup, while up three with just seconds to go in Game 7 in 2006, it would be just the Spurs and Lakers as the only two teams since 1999.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
that really is a crazy stat. hell, if Ginobli hadn't made one of the biggest bonehead fouls of all time, hitting Dirk on a layup, while up three with just seconds to go in Game 7 in 2006, it would be just the Spurs and Lakers as the only two teams since 1999.
if the refs would have called a blatant foul in game 5 on tony parker holding dirks jersey on a dunk opportunity at the buzzer...it would have been over in 5. LOL

of corse the mavs were lucky in game 7 that the refs didn't call a foul in tim duncan's favor at the buzzer. the mavs earned that series though. dirk played awesome in those playoffs.

OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
their own coach called them soft and until proven otherwise in the playoffs, they're choke artists, plain and simple.

and butler coming back for the playoffs... come on, even if somehow he got healthy enough to get on the court, he'll be a shell of himself for at least a while, like all players are when they miss 6 months.
Of corse the media took the soft comment out of context. He didn't call them soft for past playoff failures...or even soft in general. He called their play in that game soft. then he proceeded to explain it because they got out-rebounded and out played physically.

from there, if you want to look at the past at least they have made it to the finals and have won a lot of playoff games.... better than a lot of other teams not named lakers or spurs in the west over the last decade. you can call them choke artists for not winning a championship and that's fine even fair. I can take the glasses off from time to time. It is frustrating, but it is much better than what they were in the 90's.

I'm just trying to defend the great things that they have done over the years. especially dirk. he is a legendary player that gets overlooked. last night I heard a great stat. in situations to win or tie a game in the last min he and kobe lead the league over the last 3 years. and dirk has a better %. yet dirk is not known for that nationally. he gets bypassed and a lot of people say he chokes.

and by the way. no butler won't be ready to play. but having him suit up after that injury will be huge lift for them. he is a huge leader in that locker room. if he can come into a game just for a min it will mean more emotionally than anything else. but who knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lorenzo

Lorenzo

Reaction score
one game does not put a nail in the Mavs coffin, but tonight was a pretty good example of what i'm talking about. Kobe plays like garbage and save one last gasp run by the Mavs, the Lakers completely controlled the game and showed once again, they have no problem going into Dallas and winning. They seem to do it at least once a year whereas the Mavs winning in LA happens once every blue moon.
Well the lakers did lead most of the game after the 1st quarter, but it never was a blowout. It stayed between 5-10 points and the mavs had a few occasions where they could of pulled even, but they uncharacteristically missed shots.

We will see. the mavs go to LA again this year. they blew them out in LA last year in a game. Over the last two years kobe went from loving to kill dallas to not scoring as much vs. dallas so if you are going to credit LA for their play you have to credit dallas for their defense too. In fact kobe told his team before the game yesterday that dallas can beat them in a 7 game series. I think dallas is their worst matchup in the west and he knows it. I think in spite of the loss dallas proved it yesterday in a low scoring physical game. Remember, dallas blew them out in a game earlier in the year when they shot the ball better. Last night dallas shot only 40% which is well below average for them and they were still in the game at the end. now give credit to the lakers sound defense. but dallas missed a lot of wide open shots and some layups. dallas matched their physical play and rebounding. Dallas just lacked scoring. players like chandler, terry, barea, beaubois, needed to step their game up offensively. obviously dallas has no answer for the lakers size at the 2 position. dallas plays undersized there. but they have to score to make up for it. if terry is missing shots like that they might be better playing brewer or stevenson to match the lakers length overall.

they have matched the physical defensive play of chicago, boston, LA, SA, Mia, and Orlando. So come playoff time I wouldn't simply write them off. they can beat those teams.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn