Who Will Be Arizona's Starting QB Opening Day

Starting QB Game 1 2023-24 Season

• Total voters

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That's possible...but Texas guys usually stick together.
Imo McCoy brings a lot to the table. Not just as a coach but as a mentor. Colt was never great but his limitations were always 90% physical. He understands the game, the position, and the commitment it takes to be successful.
Colt would have value, not just for Kyler, but for Maye or Williams should we make a change come spring.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Imo McCoy brings a lot to the table. Not just as a coach but as a mentor. Colt was never great but his limitations were always 90% physical. He understands the game, the position, and the commitment it takes to be successful.
Colt would have value, not just for Kyler, but for Maye or Williams should we make a change come spring.
You basically did a better job explaining my thoughts...lol Thank you.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Looking over the box score, got me wondering if the coaching staff told Tune they wanted to see him rely on his arm and not his legs today

You must be registered for see images attach

Tune has a tendency to run, and with the way our O-line was playing he had plenty of reason to

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's tough because I believe it's going to be Dobbs soon enough but two weeks after signing is a fast turnaround. I guess I have to go Colt for Week 1 and expect it'll be Dobbs by Week 3 unless McCoy gets injured (a good possibility)

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
How dare you not include David Blough in this poll.

These choices remind of the Anderson/Hall/Skelton nightmare.

However, I think they might as well just let Clayton Tune start. He of course isn't ready, but unlike the other options, his ceiling is still unknown. Perhaps he improves as the season progresses.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we really worried about “ ruining” Tune?
What does McCoy give us? It appears either Qb will be lucky to manage 17 points, so what’s the difference?
And now suddenly there are some deeming Dobbs is is the heir-apparent to the starting job…Dobbs?

Start Tune. He’s able to move and has a stronger arm. It will make watching the game a bit more enjoyable… if that’s possible.
Bottom line it doesn’t matter. I only hope we can at least be a “ pesky” team this year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
What does McCoy give us? It appears either Qb will be lucky to manage 17 points, so what’s the difference?
And now suddenly there are some deeming Dobbs is is the heir-apparent to the starting job…Dobbs?

Start Tune. He’s able to move and has a stronger arm. It will make watching the game a bit more enjoyable… if that’s possible.
Bottom line it doesn’t matter. I only hope we can at least be a “ pesky” team this year.
It would be a positive if we actually saw Tune learning and improving as the season progressed.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just don't think a new young (or any) coaching staff wants to start their era with a low round rookie qb when it's not pressed into it by circumstance.

I feel McCoy will start unless injured until Dobbs can take over. Of course if McCoy can somehow win a game, he might stay starter for an additional week or two.

It would be wild if they chose Tune.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I just don't think a new young (or any) coaching staff wants to start their era with a low round rookie qb when it's not pressed into it by circumstance.

I feel McCoy will start unless injured until Dobbs can take over. Of course if McCoy can somehow win a game, he might stay starter for an additional week or two.

It would be wild if they chose Tune.
unless this season is about culture and they are expecting to be able to pick their own QB in the next draft barring something magical happening.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It kind of sounds like McCoy is cooked (which sucks), so I guess I'll go with the only other QB on the roster who has played in NFL regular season games, the one-and-only Josh "Astro" Dobbs.

Apparently my man was studying to be an aerospace engineer while at Tennessee.
Man… these nicknames you keep coming up with are not good.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is McCoy but I'd prefer Tune.

I doubt McCoy lasts 2 games behind this line though.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why would you risk throwing Tune to the wolves in Washington? He played 5 years in a gun formation & is still learning Pelzing’s system & required footwork. The last thing you want to do with Tune is to see him resort to habits that will ****** his growth in Pelzing’s system. If the Cardinals can’t get Hobbs ready to start in 2 weeks, then they’ll go with McCoy. Hell, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if they went with Blough if neither Dobbs or McCoy could go. Now, I wouldn’t be surprised if we use Tune occasionally in certain situations, but it’ll be few and far apart.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would you risk throwing Tune to the wolves in Washington? He played 5 years in a gun formation & is still learning Pelzing’s system & required footwork. The last thing you want to do with Tune is to see him resort to habits that will ****** his growth in Pelzing’s system. If the Cardinals can’t get Hobbs ready to start in 2 weeks, then they’ll go with McCoy. Hell, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if they went with Blough if neither Dobbs or McCoy could go. Now, I wouldn’t be surprised if we use Tune occasionally in certain situations, but it’ll be few and far apart.
Tune can start cause we dont have nothing to lose
Tune playing can give us a better idea if he can be an adequate qb in this league , there Is not better option then playing
If he has the right mindset and he Is skilled enough he can find a way to show he belongs to this league even in a difficult enviroment

Last edited:
OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Blough > Tune???

You must be registered for see images attach