Who should Suns target at power forward?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think PHX needs to trade up in draft to get Toppin as he is the best option to improve this roster next year. Ideally, PHX lands in Top 8 so that a trade up is not as drastic, but this year's plus additional 1st rounders should do the trick. Not sure if a player would have to be added depending on who the trade partner is.

Obviously PHX can have Gordon if they offer up Oubre (that was reportedly what ORL was asking for). Oubre is only signed for one more year and we have Bridges to replace him. Also, would be easier to find a wing in draft than an impact big unless we are willing to go up and get Toppin. Question is was Gordon's down year due to him playing out of position at SF or is he regressing after his payday?

Markannen would be a younger Galinari (whom some feel we should target in FA). Not sure it would cost a lot seeing as his unhappiness in CHI this year is well known. His durability (recent injury issues) concerns me but he would help space the floor. Maybe CHI would be willing to swap him for Oubre?

If PHX keeps their 2020 pick by not trading for Toppin, then I would target Jalen Smith, Okongwu or Achiuwa in that order.

We don't have an additional first rounder this year or any year, and the only way to land in the Top 8 is to land in the Top 4 via the Lottery, in which case we won't have to trade up. I wouldn't mind Toppin, but he would not solve our problems in terms of defense and rebounding. I think we need both to sign or trade for a veteran power forward to start and to draft a power forward to back him and develop hopefully into a future starter.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We don't have an additional first rounder this year or any year, and the only way to land in the Top 8 is to land in the Top 4 via the Lottery, in which case we won't have to trade up. I wouldn't mind Toppin, but he would not solve our problems in terms of defense and rebounding. I think we need both to sign or trade for a veteran power forward to start and to draft a power forward to back him and develop hopefully into a future starter.
I can get with that plan. The question is do you go for the more expensive Gordon who would provide more defense than the cheaper Markannen or go with the better shooting? I think Okongwu is the defender we really need but if he can not develop range on offense then he would kill spacing for Ayton. He obviously has more potential than Jalen Smith but Smith is a little more polished at this point.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can get with that plan. The question is do you go for the more expensive Gordon who would provide more defense than the cheaper Markannen or go with the better shooting? I think Okongwu is the defender we really need but if he can not develop range on offense then he would kill spacing for Ayton. He obviously has more potential than Jalen Smith but Smith is a little more polished at this point.

My preference would be to sign a veteran like Jerami Grant (player option) in free agency and use the Suns first round pick to add depth at point guard or forward/center. Unfortunately, free agency is usually scheduled after the draft so it's uncertain how that plays out.

A player like Okongwu would be a nice target if the Suns get lucky in the lottery. I like Jalen Smith as well.

I can't see the Bulls parting with Markannen unless a team throws a lot of assets their way. I'm not sure he is on the market.

Aaron Gordon would be the more likely target but he will likely cost the Suns a first round pick and something else. I suspect the Magic wanted that other piece to be Oubre. That's probably why a trade didn't happen at the trade deadline.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Any thoughts on signing Serge Ibaka or Paul Millsap as a 2-3 year stop gap while drafting a power forward with the hopes that he will be ready to take over after that stop-gap period?

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
The best ability is availability.

If it bothers you that Booker missed 25% of his games in the last 3 years or Rubio missed 18%, then Lauri will drive you nuts.

Lauri has missed 31% of his games in the last 3 years.

The last thing this team needs is ANOTHER injury prone guy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the two, I'd prefer Ibaka over Millsap.

When the Nuggets signed Millsap to a 3 year, $90 million contract a few years back I was left scratching my head because I thought he was nearing the end of his career. As it turns out he is still producing but I wouldn't put big money in him. It would have to be a short term deal. Again, I prefer Ibaka.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of the two, I'd prefer Ibaka over Millsap.

When the Nuggets signed Millsap to a 3 year, $90 million contract a few years back I was left scratching my head because I thought he was nearing the end of his career. As it turns out he is still producing but I wouldn't put big money in him. It would have to be a short term deal. Again, I prefer Ibaka.

Of the two, I prefer Ibaka as well. I just don't know if he will be available, as I could see him staying in Toronto.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on signing Serge Ibaka or Paul Millsap as a 2-3 year stop gap while drafting a power forward with the hopes that he will be ready to take over after that stop-gap period?

I'd be down for that plan.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the two, I prefer Ibaka as well. I just don't know if he will be available, as I could see him staying in Toronto.

Somehow I feel like it's going to be Aaron Gordon but I'd put Ibaka and Grant ahead of him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Somehow I feel like it's going to be Aaron Gordon but I'd put Ibaka and Grant ahead of him.

My concerns with Grant are that he is too thin/weak to man the power forward position, and that he is quite inefficient. Sadly, I don't know that he would give us any more at the power forward position than Oubre or Bridges playing out of position (except that Grant has longer arms and is therefore more of a rim protector). I am all for Aaron Gordon if the return in trade isn't too much (though even he is awfully thin/weak for the power forward position...just not as much as Grant).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concerns with Grant are that he is too thin/weak to man the power forward position, and that he is quite inefficient. Sadly, I don't know that he would give us any more at the power forward position than Oubre or Bridges playing out of position (except that Grant has longer arms and is therefore more of a rim protector). I am all for Aaron Gordon if the return in trade isn't too much (though even he is awfully thin/weak for the power forward position...just not as much as Grant).

I like the athleticism and shooting Jerami Grant would give the Suns although I am open to other players like Ibaka. This is the direction the NBA is headed... towards athletic 4s that can defend and shoot outside. Bridges and Grant fit this mold. The same with Ibaka.

One of the reasons I am keen on adding an unrestricted free agent is because it would allow the Suns to add a player in the draft that can play power forward or point guard to add more depth.

We agree the totality of Kaminsky, Saric, Baynes and Jerome were not athletic enough. I do not expect Okobo or Owens to return. Maybe only one of Kaminsky, Saric and Baynes return.

The thing with adding Gordon, it's likely going to cost the Suns a first round pick and another asset. I dislike giving up assets when the team needs more talent.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I like the athleticism and shooting Jerami Grant would give the Suns although I am open to other players like Ibaka. This is the direction the NBA is headed... towards athletic 4s that can defend and shoot outside. Bridges and Grant fit this mold. The same with Ibaka.

One of the reasons I am keen on adding an unrestricted free agent is because it would allow the Suns to add a player in the draft that can play power forward or point guard to add more depth.

We agree the totality of Kaminsky, Saric, Baynes and Jerome were not athletic enough. I do not expect Okobo or Owens to return. Maybe only one of Kaminsky, Saric and Baynes return.

The thing with adding Gordon, it's likely going to cost the Suns a first round pick and another asset. I dislike giving up assets when the team needs more talent.
It depends if we have a plan to go after a different PG. If JJ thinks he can peel away Van Fleet from Toronto, he could trade Ricky and the 1st to Orlando for Gordon. They need a real PG there and they are risking losing him for nothing. That would simultaneously upgrade two positions for us: FVF, Book, Oubre, Gordon, Ayton would start. Our bench would be weak, but our starters would be better. We'd need to find a backup PG and PF on the cheap due to salary restrictions. It might not actually even work adding Gordon and FVF's contracts (I was too lazy to calculate it).

But I don't think FVF is leaving, nor is he particularly interested in coming here.

On a separate note, I'd kick the tires on trading for Kabengele from LA. He had an efficient year in very limited time (PER 18.23 and 45% from 3 at 5mpg). I loved him coming out of college, but got stuck behind some great players (Harrell). Not sure how in love LA is with him, but they did trade up to get him. I like him as a backup PF but could easily see him starting in a few years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It depends if we have a plan to go after a different PG. If JJ thinks he can peel away Van Fleet from Toronto, he could trade Ricky and the 1st to Orlando for Gordon. They need a real PG there and they are risking losing him for nothing. That would simultaneously upgrade two positions for us: FVF, Book, Oubre, Gordon, Ayton would start. Our bench would be weak, but our starters would be better. We'd need to find a backup PG and PF on the cheap due to salary restrictions. It might not actually even work adding Gordon and FVF's contracts (I was too lazy to calculate it).

But I don't think FVF is leaving, nor is he particularly interested in coming here.

On a separate note, I'd kick the tires on trading for Kabengele from LA. He had an efficient year in very limited time (PER 18.23 and 45% from 3 at 5mpg). I loved him coming out of college, but got stuck behind some great players (Harrell). Not sure how in love LA is with him, but they did trade up to get him. I like him as a backup PF but could easily see him starting in a few years.

Only way VanVleet leaves Toronto is if someone like the Knicks throw the max at him. I can't see him going anywhere. This next season we're likely to see him take over for Lowry as the starting PG in Toronto and they're closer to competing than many thought they'd be after Kawhi left. As long as Masai Uriji is still their GM, I think they'll keep their core in place and that core involves FVV.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would be sweet if the Suns could land VanVleet in free agency but it's hard to see him leaving Toronto. However, I'm not sure if Toronto can keep both Ibaka and VanVleet so who knows. That proposed Gordon trade would nice.

So wish free agency was before the draft..

I liked Kabengele in the last draft as a later pick. He has potential.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would be sweet if the Suns could land VanVleet in free agency but it's hard to see him leaving Toronto. However, I'm not sure if Toronto can keep both Ibaka and VanVleet so who knows. That proposed Gordon trade would nice.

So wish free agency was before the draft..

I liked Kabengele in the last draft as a later pick. He has potential.

I might be in the minority but I'm glad the draft is before free agency for a few reasons.

It allows trades to happen after the season is over and before free agency opens that can free up cap space for a team to make a run at top free agents. Also if a team gets lucky in the lottery then they don't need to worry about having just shelled out top dollar for an aging star that plays the same position as the top prospect does. The signing made sense because they didn't think their 1.4% chance at the #1 overall pick would pan out. I could see some teams, like the Suns, hedging their bets on lottery success as a reason to stand pat in free agency also. Tell me you can't see McD selling the fanbase on not signing anyone in free agency because they liked the odds of moving up in the lottery. That also assumes the lottery drawing happens after free agency, which is questionable on whether it would happen or not if the draft moved after free agency but I think it would be moved to after, closer to the draft.

Second round picks might not carry much value if the draft came after free agency, or maybe they would carry more value since teams would scramble to fill out their roster. It would change late picks and how they're viewed, for better and worse.

The draft is the perfect way to kick off the offseason, IMO. It can give you some insight on what a team is planning and you can start to see the wants and needs a little clearer. I look at the NFL with how their offseason is flipped with free agency before the draft and I'm not a fan. I'm sure many of teams have spent top dollar on middling players, especially QB's, because they needed to fill a hole in their roster but come draft time, someone slips and becomes available that no one suspected would be available when they overpaid for a Kirk Cousins type of stop gap.

In the NBA one player can swing a franchises future more than any other pro sports league and that's part of why I think having it first helps more than hurts because a team can start building around a top prospect right away rather than landing a top prospect who doesn't mesh with how they've been building their team. We wouldn't see as many teams choose Best Player Available if free agency already took place because there would be too many clashes of styles and personalities.

I just want basketball action, dammit. I'm fine with empty arena games. At this point, I'm begging for them. I just hope we hear of some sort of plan before the end of April. I'm not calling for a return to action or anything like that, just some sort of official news on when we might see something and what that something will be. I don't want to turn this into a debate or discussion about what the NBA should do in regards to the shutdown because of COVID-19. I believe they're handling things well with the health of everyone in mind. I guess if there was ever an offseason to test swapping things out though, having the draft after free agency, then this year might present the best opportunity for the league to test something.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be in the minority but I'm glad the draft is before free agency for a few reasons.

It allows trades to happen after the season is over and before free agency opens that can free up cap space for a team to make a run at top free agents. Also if a team gets lucky in the lottery then they don't need to worry about having just shelled out top dollar for an aging star that plays the same position as the top prospect does. The signing made sense because they didn't think their 1.4% chance at the #1 overall pick would pan out. I could see some teams, like the Suns, hedging their bets on lottery success as a reason to stand pat in free agency also. Tell me you can't see McD selling the fanbase on not signing anyone in free agency because they liked the odds of moving up in the lottery. That also assumes the lottery drawing happens after free agency, which is questionable on whether it would happen or not if the draft moved after free agency but I think it would be moved to after, closer to the draft.

Second round picks might not carry much value if the draft came after free agency, or maybe they would carry more value since teams would scramble to fill out their roster. It would change late picks and how they're viewed, for better and worse.

The draft is the perfect way to kick off the offseason, IMO. It can give you some insight on what a team is planning and you can start to see the wants and needs a little clearer. I look at the NFL with how their offseason is flipped with free agency before the draft and I'm not a fan. I'm sure many of teams have spent top dollar on middling players, especially QB's, because they needed to fill a hole in their roster but come draft time, someone slips and becomes available that no one suspected would be available when they overpaid for a Kirk Cousins type of stop gap.

In the NBA one player can swing a franchises future more than any other pro sports league and that's part of why I think having it first helps more than hurts because a team can start building around a top prospect right away rather than landing a top prospect who doesn't mesh with how they've been building their team. We wouldn't see as many teams choose Best Player Available if free agency already took place because there would be too many clashes of styles and personalities.

I just want basketball action, dammit. I'm fine with empty arena games. At this point, I'm begging for them. I just hope we hear of some sort of plan before the end of April. I'm not calling for a return to action or anything like that, just some sort of official news on when we might see something and what that something will be. I don't want to turn this into a debate or discussion about what the NBA should do in regards to the shutdown because of COVID-19. I believe they're handling things well with the health of everyone in mind. I guess if there was ever an offseason to test swapping things out though, having the draft after free agency, then this year might present the best opportunity for the league to test something.

Yeah, there are two ways to look at the timing of free agency and the draft. The NFL starts free agency before the draft and it works pretty well. Trades can be made before the draft as well. It is what it is. Maybe the Suns wouldn't have to do a trade and sacrifice assets if they could land their free agent targets.

Anyway, like you, I can wait for basketball and the draft even if fans can't attend the games.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
maybe we should just sign the Cards third round pick--Josh Jones. Played pf with Oubre in HS.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe we should just sign the Cards third round pick--Josh Jones. Played pf with Oubre in HS.

I just know what I read about the guy but I'll admit, I'm usually intrigued when I find out our incoming cornerback or tight end was a good basketball player but I'm not sure how I feel when you're talking about a left tackle.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just know what I read about the guy but I'll admit, I'm usually intrigued when I find out our incoming cornerback or tight end was a good basketball player but I'm not sure how I feel when you're talking about a left tackle.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah. I don't think anyone would drive the middle on Josh Jones.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BUMP

I'll put it in this thread because it involves a Suns power forward.

And it did mention the Suns . . . at the end.

Charles Barkley got the word from his agent that he was being traded from the
Sixers to the Lakers. So he started drinking. Again from his agent later in the
day. And he kept drinking to celebrate.

When he got the word from his agent that the Sixers pulled out of the deal, the
Chuckster had to play that night for the Sixers -- roaring drunk. That was 1992.

The following summer he was traded to the Suns and won the MVP the next season.

Oh, the Chuckster! :rolleyes:

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-says-played-game-230035987.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BUMP

I'll put it in this thread because it involves a Suns power forward.

And it did mention the Suns . . . at the end.

Charles Barkley got the word from his agent that he was being traded from the
Sixers to the Lakers. So he started drinking. Again from his agent later in the
day. And he kept drinking to celebrate.

When he got the word from his agent that the Sixers pulled out of the deal, the
Chuckster had to play that night for the Sixers -- roaring drunk. That was 1992.

The following summer he was traded to the Suns and won the MVP the next season.

Oh, the Chuckster! :rolleyes:

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-says-played-game-230035987.html

Some of those rumored Michael Jordon stories may not be that far off base.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Some of those rumored Michael Jordon stories may not be that far off base.

My favorite Chuck story...

I’ll never forget this story. My second day of practice we’re out there running up and down. Charles Barkley comes in about 5 minutes late. He comes in and he has a big McDonalds bag. And he goes and he sits down on the bike. And like a chemist. You know, a guy over there cutting up lines or something. You know? He’s just making—he’s got his back towards us and he’s doing stuff—I’m like, ‘What the hell is he doing?’

So, he takes the eggs, and he takes the pancakes, the sausage, maple syrup and butter, puts it all in one, wraps it up with the pancake and gets some extra syrup. And the butter’s oozing out. And I’m going, ‘Wow, you going to eat then and then come run with us?’ Hell no. He’s going to eat that while he’s on the stationary bike. Peddling one mile an hour going, ‘Run the floor!’”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/homeof...ate-mcdonalds-while-yelling-at-teammates/amp/

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson