Who’s that bigger receiver...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Later in the draft?

Let’s assume we don’t take Juedy or Lamb. I want to see a bigger thicker wr like Brown or Samuels.

I’ve scanned the draft prospects and I see guys like Claypool, Pittman, Davis, Edwards and Collins.

If we knew Butler was going to be the guy we hoped he was going to be then forget the above list. But we can’t and lord knows we have enough slot guys.

Pick apart my list on why or why not’s and is there any receivers out there that intrigue you?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want to see any receiver drafted this year. We have a tonne of young guys to develop. Maybe in the 5th tops if it's someone who can KR.

We drafted 4 guys in 2 years. Drafting another would be a failure.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
How big is big? How long do you wait?

In round 2 Justin Jefferson, LSU, might be there. He’s 6’3”, 195. He’s not a speedster but he’s a solid route runner who knows how to use his strength & quickness to get separation if you’re thinking red zone or 3rd down.

In round 3 Michael Pittman, USC, is a popular choice. At 6’4”, 220, he’s a big target. He competes aggressively for the ball but isn’t great at getting separation. He can have big problems with press coverage, especially in the red zone.

Maybe you’d like Chase Claypool, ND. He’s got the body, 6’4”, 230. He looks to have long arms. Again he’s not fast but he is good at using the sideline to wall off the defender. He’s somewhat vulnerable to press coverage.

Frankly, except for maybe Jefferson, Butler is likely as good.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want to see any receiver drafted this year. We have a tonne of young guys to develop. Maybe in the 5th tops if it's someone who can KR.

We drafted 4 guys in 2 years. Drafting another would be a failure.
I would somewhat agree with you if these guys ceilings weren’t just WR3 at best, maybe with the exception of Kirk.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want CeeDee Lamb at #8. He will be a number one WR which we don't have. He already has a connection with Kyler and can be a starter from day one. Cards can get some defensive help in free agency and a RT in round 2 or 3.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It'd just be fun to draft Pittman. I'm kinda rooting for it. Until I get more mired into the later round guys, I don't have a pick outside of that.

I want CeeDee Lamb at #8. He will be a number one WR which we don't have. He already has a connection with Kyler and can be a starter from day one. Cards can get some defensive help in free agency and a RT in round 2 or 3.
This is about later guys if we don't draft one at #8, but I do agree with you that Lamb makes more sense than Jeudy if we go that route. Jeudy might be the better long term prospect, but Lamb's no joke, and that early chemistry and familiarity with the offense will be a boon in the early years while trying to capitalize on KM's contract.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butler as the big guy and Duvernay is not big but I think he can be a legit weapon in this offense and a freaking steal by the fourth :raccoon:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Love this guy. Too short. Small radius. Sticky. But has the look.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big is big? How long do you wait?

In round 2 Justin Jefferson, LSU, might be there. He’s 6’3”, 195. He’s not a speedster but he’s a solid route runner who knows how to use his strength & quickness to get separation if you’re thinking red zone or 3rd down.

In round 3 Michael Pittman, USC, is a popular choice. At 6’4”, 220, he’s a big target. He competes aggressively for the ball but isn’t great at getting separation. He can have big problems with press coverage, especially in the red zone.

Maybe you’d like Chase Claypool, ND. He’s got the body, 6’4”, 230. He looks to have long arms. Again he’s not fast but he is good at using the sideline to wall off the defender. He’s somewhat vulnerable to press coverage.

Frankly, except for maybe Jefferson, Butler is likely as good.
I hope butler can be that guy. We need someone who can create size mismatches. To many Byrd’s, Coopers, Kirks, Issabella’s type receivers.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Definitely Pittman. Drafting his father worked pretty well.

Side note, I passed out in Michael Pittman’s dorm room in Fresno on my 21st birthday. Face plant out of a chair...very proud moment.

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Still CeeDee Lamb all day everyday...

It seems I had this exact conversation with fans and friends 17 years ago

I remember in 2003 when the Cards had a reciever that won rookie of the year but still managed to have a poor season. All the fans and my friends were screaming to draft a O-Lineman or Defensive player..
However, with a WR who had won rookie of the year... Who did the Cards take with their 3rd overall pick?

Another WR, a guy named Larry Fitzgerald (And Cards fans back then remember how great fitz and Boldin were together).. Back then the Cards stated that they would draft the best player available regardless of position

IMO CeeDee Lamb will probably be the best player available

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would somewhat agree with you if these guys ceilings weren’t just WR3 at best, maybe with the exception of Kirk.

We have no idea what these guys could be.

As I've said before. Keesean had a better first season than Antonio Brown. I'm not saying he's going to be better than AB, just that you can never tell.

Isabella had a better 1st season than DJ Chark. Chark just had a 1000+ yard season.

Kirk's 2 years are better than Tyler Locketts first 2 years and Butler hasn't played a snap yet.

We just don't know.

Plus, if you think all those guys are failures why would you want Keim to pick another WR? His track record isn't great.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still CeeDee Lamb all day everyday...

It seems I had this exact conversation with fans and friends 17 years ago

I remember in 2003 when the Cards had a reciever that won rookie of the year but still managed to have a poor season. All the fans and my friends were screaming to draft a O-Lineman or Defensive player..
However, with a WR who had won rookie of the year... Who did the Cards take with their 3rd overall pick?

Another WR, a guy named Larry Fitzgerald (And Cards fans back then remember how great fitz and Boldin were together).. Back then the Cards stated that they would draft the best player available regardless of position

IMO CeeDee Lamb will probably be the best player available
I thought lamb to. But go watch highlights of Juedy. To me he is a little better. Definitely faster.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Juann Jennings- Tennessee

Decent late round option. Good players on lousy teams often drop.

I am not sure what "late round option" means to you. But I would suspect he would be gone by round 3.

Here is his game (below) vs South Carolina. Dude is a beast!

Tennessee WR Jauan Jennings had 7 receptions for 174 yards and 2 touchdowns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media