Which TV to Buy?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks pretty good and is a lot of TV for a good price.

Everything you would ever want to know is probably in here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ficial-2015-vizio-4k-uhd-m-series-thread.html

I skimmed a couple of the pages (59 and counting!) and it is has some issues, but depending on how you plan to utilize the monitor, they may not be important to you.

Best of luck and please keep us updated.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my e series 60" vizio quiet a bit

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I am leaning towards not getting the 4K and going with the E60 from Vizio. Our viewing distance is 10 feet, we don't play video games and we aren't huge cinema buffs, so if the quality isn't perfect, that is ok.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I am leaning towards not getting the 4K and going with the E60 from Vizio. Our viewing distance is 10 feet, we don't play video games and we aren't huge cinema buffs, so if the quality isn't perfect, that is ok.

4k still isn't worth it. No content. I'd skip it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have the e60, paid 850 2 years ago I think. I love it. (I sit 20 feet away and it still rocks)

The M series was the newer model with better lighting at the time and may be a better tv at about the same price I paid 2 years ago, may be worth looking at.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh but if you don't plan on buying another TV for a while the price has come down enough to justify it for when there is content.

The first 4k TV came out well over 2 years ago and there really isn't any new content in 2 years. Providers don't have the bandwidth for it. We don't have a standard for movies. No video game consoles on the market support it. You can get it on a PC with very beefy gear, but even then there isn't much there.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
4k still isn't worth it. No content. I'd skip it.

Content is on the way. Last year made no sense. It makes more sense this year but I will also probably wait until after the 1st of the year before I get serious about looking.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Content is on the way. Last year made no sense. It makes more sense this year but I will also probably wait until after the 1st of the year before I get serious about looking.

I think we are 2-3 years before enough content is out there to justify it.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
The first 4k TV came out well over 2 years ago and there really isn't any new content in 2 years. Providers don't have the bandwidth for it. We don't have a standard for movies. No video game consoles on the market support it. You can get it on a PC with very beefy gear, but even then there isn't much there.

My PC can run 4k. :hulk:

I don't have a monitor to do it.

My point was, if the TV is a few hundred bucks more for a 4k TV, and you don't plan on buying another TV until that one craps out, might as well spend the extra cash if you have it.

PS: My dad plays more video games than I do, and is a PC gamer. He'll drop a few grand every couple years on new PC components and I take his hand-me downs. If you play Battlefield online on a PC, he might have snipped you at some point. hah

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are 2-3 years before enough content is out there to justify it.

I heard the same thing about Blu-Ray and the content exploded after the first year. There will be discs available by this Christmas and the one thing that Blu Ray didn't have was streaming 4K content until that time.

I agree it will probably be 2 to 3 years before there is a ton of content, I think there will be enough by next year to justify purchase...at least for me. :D

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Vizio 42" and I love it. Wish I would get something bigger but my house was pre-built with a TV cubby hole and 42 is the biggest I can go.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OLED to me is much more significant that 4K (for now). Honestly, if those TV's come down in price, the picture quality of those sets is more than enough to justify a new 4K set IMO. It's just right now they are ridiculous past a certain side. Hoping companies like Vizio continue to drive down prices for new tech.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OLED to me is much more significant that 4K (for now). Honestly, if those TV's come down in price, the picture quality of those sets is more than enough to justify a new 4K set IMO. It's just right now they are ridiculous past a certain side. Hoping companies like Vizio continue to drive down prices for new tech.

OLED + High Dynamic Range + Extended Color Gamut + 4K = my next TV. :D