When will HC Graham leave for a bigger deal??

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Just heard Todd Graham briefly after practice on the news. He certainly did nothing to dispel rumors to Texas. I believe he said "I have no control over it, so I don't want to comment on it". I certainly would have preferred for him to take a stronger stance, but it is going to be nerve-wracking to say the least until Texas hires a coach.

With Nick Saban and Kevin Sumlin locked up, I have no idea where Texas goes. I know Graham is not their first choice, but I can't think of who else would go. Urban Meyer is Ohio State all the way, maybe Graham's former OC Gus Malzahn? Gotta think Auburn will offer him a huge contract after this year.

I have no idea who Texas will pick, but I would be shocked if they do not discuss Todd Graham given the lack of strong candidates out there.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Everything I have read/heard is not to worry about Texas per se since Graham is several names down their list but more Oklahoma State or Baylor if one of their coaches bolts for Austin. Both have really deep pockets and be more in line for Graham's resume were he want to get back to that area.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Texas wants to make a big splash. They're looking NFL and college. They don't want anyone who isn't use to the bright lights or big games. Graham isn't even part of the conversation.

Texas is likely to wait until after the championship game and put their best foot forward for Jimbo Fisher. After that, it could be anyone's ball game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Texas wants to make a big splash. They're looking NFL and college. They don't want anyone who isn't use to the bright lights or big games. Graham isn't even part of the conversation.

Texas is likely to wait until after the championship game and put their best foot forward for Jimbo Fisher. After that, it could be anyone's ball game.

This... Why in the world would Texas be looking at Graham? The guys hasn't won anything close to meaningful yet?? The Pac-12 South title is nice, but c'mon man... Texas is after much more than that!
I heard Jim Harbaugh's name being mentioned as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Everything I have read/heard is not to worry about Texas per se since Graham is several names down their list but more Oklahoma State or Baylor if one of their coaches bolts for Austin. Both have really deep pockets and be more in line for Graham's resume were he want to get back to that area.

LOL, Wow Mao, you really are doing your best to start and/or perpetuate rumors of ASU's coach leaving aren't you? Classic. "Bear Down" Lol

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
LOL, Wow Mao, you really are doing your best to start and/or perpetuate rumors of ASU's coach leaving aren't you? Classic. "Bear Down" Lol
The Graham leaving rumor has been spread on this board and overall much more by ASU fans than me. In fact I've been the one saying he's likely not going anywhere and the Texas media even says Graham isn't a candidate. The 'Texas isn't who we have to be worried about' came directly from my father-in-law by the way who's a big ASU booster but even then he said he's not that concerned because as has been pointed out several times Graham does not have the type of resume UT is looking for. Texas doesn't want Graham (and even Gundy and Briles aren't probably that high on their list), they're looking for someone with an NFL or elite-level FBS resume as Gadd said.

Last edited:

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score

In fairness, I kind of kicked up the rumors yesterday (ASU fan). I have no evidence, just laying the facts out. I am pretty sure Graham would go if offered, potential candidates are drying up for the Texas job -- I think it is something to keep an eye on. Graham has the top ranked recruiting class in the PAC-12 and we are still looking at several 4-star recruits, he has done an excellent job and is getting a ton of respect (outside of Tucson).

I am not worried about Graham leaving for Baylor or Oklahoma State in the slightest. That would be a lateral move and I think that Texas is probably the only job he would move his family again for.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
OK, ASU AND U of A fans are co-conspirators in this !!

Amazing that this topic has such a long shelf life.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I think asu fans would know best about Graham's reputation as a migratory coach. How many jobs has he had in 5 years? Of course it's reasonable to speculate whether or not he is going to stay in Tempe or bolt for a better job, particularly when his market value is as high as it has ever been.

Trust me, it has nothing to do with "Classic Bear Down," but rather "Classic Job Hopper." Don't act like this is some new revelation.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think asu fans would know best about Graham's reputation as a migratory coach. How many jobs has he had in 5 years? Of course it's reasonable to speculate whether or not he is going to stay in Tempe or bolt for a better job, particularly when his market value is as high as it has ever been.

Trust me, it has nothing to do with "Classic Bear Down," but rather "Classic Job Hopper." Don't act like this is some new revelation.

Didn't we beat Arizona for the Territorial Cup recently?

TJ

Reaction score
I am not worried about Graham leaving for Baylor or Oklahoma State in the slightest. That would be a lateral move and I think that Texas is probably the only job he would move his family again for.

OkState would be a hell of an upgrade over asu. More money, better facilities, and more community support.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Didn't we beat Arizona for the Territorial Cup recently?

And has what to do with my post? Are you not familiar enough with Graham's past to provide an on-topic rebuttal?

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
And has what to do with my post? Are you not familiar enough with Graham's past to provide an on-topic rebuttal?
Just let it go.

Typical ASU message board banter: Graham rocks and Rich Rod sucks! I mean 2-0!

Typical UofA message board banter: Graham got lucky with Erickson recruits and the crapshoot JUCO recruiting! Rich Rod is building from the ground up after the Stoops recruiting disaster!

The reality is somewhere in between and in our 140 character world those types of comments unfortunately is what make up analysis. Both coaches have done a great job at their respective programs but approached it much differently for various reasons. ASU has gotten the best of UofA thus far but in all honesty Arizona is shaping up to have a better roster as soon as next season so that could change pretty quick. Both are recruiting about the same both locally (same as always - mediocre) and nationally (much better). It's pretty naive for either party to suggest one has a much better brighter future than the other looking at their rosters and coaching resumes. I like where Arizona is at with Rich Rod but I can for sure see why ASU fans are happy as well. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just let it go.

Typical ASU message board banter: Graham rocks and Rich Rod sucks! I mean 2-0!

Typical UofA message board banter: Graham got lucky with Erickson recruits and the crapshoot JUCO recruiting! Rich Rod is building from the ground up after the Stoops recruiting disaster!

The reality is somewhere in between and in our 140 character world those types of comments unfortunately is what make up analysis. Both coaches have done a great job at their respective programs but approached it much differently for various reasons. ASU has gotten the best of UofA thus far but in all honesty Arizona is shaping up to have a better roster as soon as next season so that could change pretty quick. Both are recruiting about the same both locally (same as always - mediocre) and nationally (much better). It's pretty naive for either party to suggest one has a much better brighter future than the other looking at their rosters and coaching resumes. I like where Arizona is at with Rich Rod but I can for sure see why ASU fans are happy as well. Only time will tell.

This is true of course... however, Graham has put together the single best recruiting class in the history of ASU, and he's not done yet.
Admittedly, I have no idea how Rich Rod's recruiting efforts are panning out...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This is true of course... however, Graham has put together the single best recruiting class in the history of ASU, and he's not done yet.
Admittedly, I have no idea how Rich Rod's recruiting efforts are panning out...

As of right this second ASU is #11 overall and UofA is #14 but both are mostly finished and will drop as other schools fill out their classes. They'll both end up in the 20's so pretty comparable and much better efforts than I expected. Graham and Rodriguez's mutual distaste on a personal level is actually raising each of their games.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
As of right this second ASU is #11 overall and UofA is #14 but both are mostly finished and will drop as other schools fill out their classes. They'll both end up in the 20's so pretty comparable and much better efforts than I expected. Graham and Rodriguez's mutual distaste on a personal level is actually raising each of their games.

:thumbup:

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
OkState would be a hell of an upgrade over asu. More money, better facilities, and more community support.

LOL That's crazy talk. They have a good football team, not much else in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do. Kind of like.... Tucson!

Some people value the quality of life as part of the deal. Living in a large city with family nearby, seems pretty important to me (and coach Graham according to his interview today). Texas is the only job Graham will leave for, and he is not on their list of coaches. He is being paid well living in a city where his family is happy, and is loved by the fans, there is no reason to leave.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score

Both schools have some really good recruits that I am sure the other would love to have (Whiley, DJ Calhoun, Smallwood, Denson, and Ware come to mind). I think ASU's performance this year will allow the recruiting class to stay strong, for UA I am not so sure. I would rather see both schools do well so UA can give coach Graham some competition in the future!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Norvell promoted to Deputy Head Coach... whatever that means. But who cares. More $$ for Norvell. Rumors are that if things work according to plan, he'll be the successor to Graham if/when he decides to jump...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Norvell promoted to Deputy Head Coach... whatever that means. But who cares. More $$ for Norvell. Rumors are that if things work according to plan, he'll be the successor to Graham if/when he decides to jump...

I think Norvell leaves before Graham.

If Graham really isn't a candidate for the UT job, then where else is he going to go? ASU got lucky that Mack Brown stepped down this year. If he stayed 1 more year and Graham won 9+ next year, he'd be a more real candidate for them.

I'm glad Norvell will be around next year for TKs senior season. If ASUs offense puts up gaudy numbers next year, I imagine Norvell will be gone to a mid major somewhere as HC.

After next year ASUs offense could see a large number of players leave like we're seeing on defense this year. Taylor Kelly, Deantre Lewis, Jamil Douglas, DeMariyea Nelson, & Tyler Sulka are all gone for sure. Jalean Strong & DJ Foster could also potentially leave early (though its much more likely for Strong, I'd put DJ in the 'unlikely' category). So with all those guys leaving it might make it more palatable for Norvell to leave too.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think Norvell leaves before Graham.

If Graham really isn't a candidate for the UT job, then where else is he going to go? ASU got lucky that Mack Brown stepped down this year. If he stayed 1 more year and Graham won 9+ next year, he'd be a more real candidate for them.

I'm glad Norvell will be around next year for TKs senior season. If ASUs offense puts up gaudy numbers next year, I imagine Norvell will be gone to a mid major somewhere as HC.

After next year ASUs offense could see a large number of players leave like we're seeing on defense this year. Taylor Kelly, Deantre Lewis, Jamil Douglas, DeMariyea Nelson, & Tyler Sulka are all gone for sure. Jalean Strong & DJ Foster could also potentially leave early (though its much more likely for Strong, I'd put DJ in the 'unlikely' category). So with all those guys leaving it might make it more palatable for Norvell to leave too.

You might be right... however, the "statement" I saw mentioned the Norvell replacing Graham potential...
Either way, the great news is that we have them both here in Tempe for another year and most likely, several more!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Lots to respond to. Instead of quoting, I'll use bullet points and paraphrase:

- Sorry, 82, this class is not even in the Top 5 all-time ASU classes. I would rank them this way: 1982, 1971, 1977, 1983, 1993. All of those classes were ranked highly (by loose and varied metrics of the day). The 1983 class was considered by some national experts as the best in the country at the time, and it was what produced the '86 Rose Bowl team that was arguably one of the most talented in Pac history. This class, when it's finished will probably end up ranked between #17 and #21, and maybe finishes Top 3 in the conference. ASU is nearly done (they have four scholarships left). They can't move up any more slots in Rivals even with the four-star linemen they have on the hook, They can only fall as other teams fill out their classes. The other two recognized systems ASU is about where they'll finish. USC and UCLA still have some major recruits out there. They will leap frog ASU.

- Uh, Oklahoma State would be a big step up because they could pay him $4 mil+ a year and give all of his assistants humongous pay raises. They have T. Boone Pickens money, and if Graham has a home outside of Texas, it's really Oklahoma. It's more likely Oklahoma State would try to go after bigger fish than Graham wouldn't want to coach there. Pickens' contributions to that program make Oregon look pedestrian. By the end of this decade it will account for about $1 billion aggregate to the athletic department. If they wanted Graham badly enough, they'd buy his family a plane so he could fly his wife back and forth to Arizona. Seriously don't want that school sniffing around Tempe.

- Norvell spoke to Arkansas State about their job opening. It's the new Cradle of Coaches, having produced in succession Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze and Bryan Harsin with their first head coaching jobs. Harsin quickly returned to Boise to take over the BSU program, and Arkansas State doesn't care because they just won another conference championship. Norvell is a Central Arkansas alum and knows the area. For Norvell, the meeting was essentially to establish a pay grade, and he went back to ASU and got the program in the ballpark. Ark. State was probably in the $750K to $850K base range. Norvell's getting $750K to stay at ASU, and it gets a silly new job title to raise his stature. If Graham does stay, expect Norvell to take the next best job. I'm predicting it will be Tulsa in two years, when Graham's old assistant coach Bill Blankenship either gets fired or recovers after a down year (he was 11-3 in 2012). Privately, I think the backup plan was to hire Major Applewhite if Norvell left, but no one's talking about it because ASU can't afford to lose Chip Long. Chip Long, at the moment, is ASU's most important staffer. He's also going to get a very big pay raise and possible a silly new title. He wants to be the OC. He rebuffed Sarkisian's overtures at USC. I think this may be his last year at ASU, and in fact I think ASU's going to have a hard time keeping him after the signing period. I foresee Texas or one of the SEC programs throwing a lot of money at him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wow. Lots to respond to. Instead of quoting, I'll use bullet points and paraphrase:

- Sorry, 82, this class is not even in the Top 5 all-time ASU classes. I would rank them this way: 1982, 1971, 1977, 1983, 1993. All of those classes were ranked highly (by loose and varied metrics of the day). The 1983 class was considered by some national experts as the best in the country at the time, and it was what produced the '86 Rose Bowl team that was arguably one of the most talented in Pac history. This class, when it's finished will probably end up ranked between #17 and #21, and maybe finishes Top 3 in the conference. ASU is nearly done (they have four scholarships left). They can't move up any more slots in Rivals even with the four-star linemen they have on the hook, They can only fall as other teams fill out their classes. The other two recognized systems ASU is about where they'll finish. USC and UCLA still have some major recruits out there. They will leap frog ASU.

- Uh, Oklahoma State would be a big step up because they could pay him $4 mil+ a year and give all of his assistants humongous pay raises. They have T. Boone Pickens money, and if Graham has a home outside of Texas, it's really Oklahoma. It's more likely Oklahoma State would try to go after bigger fish than Graham wouldn't want to coach there. Pickens' contributions to that program make Oregon look pedestrian. By the end of this decade it will account for about $1 billion aggregate to the athletic department. If they wanted Graham badly enough, they'd buy his family a plane so he could fly his wife back and forth to Arizona. Seriously don't want that school sniffing around Tempe.

- Norvell spoke to Arkansas State about their job opening. It's the new Cradle of Coaches, having produced in succession Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze and Bryan Harsin with their first head coaching jobs. Harsin quickly returned to Boise to take over the BSU program, and Arkansas State doesn't care because they just won another conference championship. Norvell is a Central Arkansas alum and knows the area. For Norvell, the meeting was essentially to establish a pay grade, and he went back to ASU and got the program in the ballpark. Ark. State was probably in the $750K to $850K base range. Norvell's getting $750K to stay at ASU, and it gets a silly new job title to raise his stature. If Graham does stay, expect Norvell to take the next best job. I'm predicting it will be Tulsa in two years, when Graham's old assistant coach Bill Blankenship either gets fired or recovers after a down year (he was 11-3 in 2012). Privately, I think the backup plan was to hire Major Applewhite if Norvell left, but no one's talking about it because ASU can't afford to lose Chip Long. Chip Long, at the moment, is ASU's most important staffer. He's also going to get a very big pay raise and possible a silly new title. He wants to be the OC. He rebuffed Sarkisian's overtures at USC. I think this may be his last year at ASU, and in fact I think ASU's going to have a hard time keeping him after the signing period. I foresee Texas or one of the SEC programs throwing a lot of money at him.

Matt - I'm traveling today so can't do it, but when I can I'll try to find the link to the reference that was made about this class being "one of the best classes - ever, for ASU"...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt - I'm traveling today so can't do it, but when I can I'll try to find the link to the reference that was made about this class being "one of the best classes - ever, for ASU"...

It's funny how these things work out. The '84 class was heavily boosted by the addition of everyone's top QB, John Walker, out of Marcos de Niza. He was a consensus top 3 or top 5 QB that year. He couldn't beat out Van Raap, he was the rough equivalent of a 3-star QB. Those four years under Rogers had ASU swimming in talent, and a lot of those kids were lucky to be on the two-deep. For every Eric Allen or Davey Fulcher there was a Glenn Dennard.

I think ASU's '93 class flew under the radar a bit in spite of being generally well-regarded (and probably Top 20). If recruiting hadn't been as uneven as it was in '94 and '95, the '93 class probably would've had the support to really go on a three-year run.

This class ASU is bringing in kind of feels like that one -- lots of guys brought in with very specific purposes.

I'll also make this prediction: Coltin Gerhart will beat out Manny Wilkins at QB.